collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219627 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #375 on: June 02, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
When do the accounts get published? And when do the powers that be fine/punish otherwise clubs who have failed FFP?
At least when the accounts are published, we will have some idea as to how deep a mess we are in.

Don't forget, with Terry and Gabby gone, we're already saving £ 100,000+ per week in wages alone.
Oh and we'll be getting a payment from selling Mr Pointy, and Gil (if the clause in his loan is to be believed), and we sold Amavi in the last financial year didn't we?? Add the latter two's wages to Messrs Terry and Gabbys and we have already made a substantial saving.

Or am I hoping too much?

Football is all about hope and I'm feeling exactly the same as you.  It will take a miracle to keep Grealish IMO but while he's still here, I will keep hoping.  Hopefully we can drop another half a dozen from the squad, ridding us of even more wages.  I'm also hoping that Traore moves on from Boro because we have a sell on fee there as well.

The problem with moving on players is that looking at the wages of Gardner, Hogan, Taylor, DeLaet, Bunn, Elphick and Lansbury, no Championship side will be able to match them and none are good enough for the prem.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #376 on: June 02, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »
When do the accounts get published? And when do the powers that be fine/punish otherwise clubs who have failed FFP?
At least when the accounts are published, we will have some idea as to how deep a mess we are in.

Don't forget, with Terry and Gabby gone, we're already saving £ 100,000+ per week in wages alone.
Oh and we'll be getting a payment from selling Mr Pointy, and Gil (if the clause in his loan is to be believed), and we sold Amavi in the last financial year didn't we?? Add the latter two's wages to Messrs Terry and Gabbys and we have already made a substantial saving.

Or am I hoping too much?

I'm sure I've read, and possibly posted on here, maybe, that provisional figures had to be in in March so's that any spankings can be meted out before any promoted sides get their "golden share" or whatever it's called.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #377 on: June 02, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
At the end of next March, the management accounts will need to have demonstrated we have balanced the books in order not to attract a penalty.  I assume that is in line with the tax year or possibly the last chunk of TV payments because our financial year end is May.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #378 on: June 02, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »
I wonder if it is possible to have a “ kitchen sink year” under FFP.
This is where you throw all the bad news into the current financial year and clear the decks.
For Villa it would mean clearing all the deadwood and taking all the contractualhits this year, taking the FFP punishment and starting afresh 2019.
This would require pre negotiations with the authorities now and agreeing the penalty. Just as Financial institutions do with the regulators.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #379 on: June 02, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »
This is where you throw all the bad news into the current financial year and clear the decks.
For Villa it would mean clearing all the deadwood and taking all the contractualhits this year, taking the FFP punishment and starting afresh 2019.
This would require pre negotiations with the authorities now and agreeing the penalty. Just as Financial institutions do with the regulators.

The problem is you'd risk failing for the next 2 seasons as well, unless there's something that accounts for that so you're not repeatedly punished for the same thing.

Honestly the whole thing seems like a mess to me, there's just so many things that aren't clear about how it works.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
I don't think there would be anything wrong with approaching the authorities. Nothing to lose in any event.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #381 on: June 02, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
So now we want the club to turn itself in and negotiate a sanction for essentially just doing what everyone else is doing. FFS. No.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #382 on: June 02, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
You ok Joleon? I've not rattled your missus have I?

We'll smasdh it next year, we are Aston Villa.

That's the spirit.

I'm not sure why you think me seeing the awful Remi Garde is hilarious. Or quite what Bruce and bravado and I have to do with anything really.

Look, I get it, you're next in line to have a go. But you're reaching Delinquent, really reaching to grasp at something. I am, as always, flattered. But best leave it to the bigger boys, blame it on the phone and move on.

Go lad, off you pop.

"Snidey twat" Another poster was quite correct.

This too.

Fair enough. Apologies.

Offline frank black

« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
They’d probably tell us that we don’t need to fail FFP, you just need to sell a few stars.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #384 on: June 02, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »

I was thinking similar although for different reasons. If we do need to find 40m, say we managed to do that, BUT then chose to spend 10m on players. failed FFP and took the fine and/or point deduction, but the following season wouldn't we be better off, because we'd have a rebuilt squad on smaller wages? So basically writing off next season so we can have a squad again rather than making do with what's left and the kids. Obviously if they hit us with a 15m fine it wouldn't be worth doing, but if it was a points deduction so they stop us getting into the play-offs, overall would playing the system mean we would be stronger long-term?

Offline Rico

« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
Would taking a sponsorship deal on the name of the stadium help towards ffp? I don't know if it's allowed under football league rules, but I wouldn't care if the stadium was renamed. To me, and probably most other football fans it would always be Villa Park anyway. So if it's allowed then Dr Tony could consider sponsoring the stadium and chuck in some cash to help the ffp situation. Could also be a barometer of Dr T's actual personal wealth.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #386 on: June 02, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
Would taking a sponsorship deal on the name of the stadium help towards ffp? I don't know if it's allowed under football league rules, but I wouldn't care if the stadium was renamed. To me, and probably most other football fans it would always be Villa Park anyway. So if it's allowed then Dr Tony could consider sponsoring the stadium and chuck in some cash to help the ffp situation. Could also be a barometer of Dr T's actual personal wealth.

It can be done, but it has to be deemed 'market value' and no one really knows what that is. So even if he wanted to he couldn't spend £15m a year for stadium naming rights for example.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #387 on: June 02, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »
Is it possible to put a thread on 'loop mode' as we seem to be going round in circles a bit now!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #388 on: June 02, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »

It can be done, but it has to be deemed 'market value' and no one really knows what that is. So even if he wanted to he couldn't spend £15m a year for stadium naming rights for example.
A number of Firms now provide This type of valuation.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #389 on: June 02, 2018, 10:14:11 PM »
So now we want the club to turn itself in and negotiate a sanction for essentially just doing what everyone else is doing. FFS. No.
I think you may be over reacting a little.
You would prefer us to play Russian roulette with FFP ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal