collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219640 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
Unless an actual points deduction was stipulated in advance wouldn't it be open to challenge later.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
The hollow notion of “Financial fair play” has never stopped Manchester Citeh from buying everything in sight.

Man. City takeover happened before it came in I think and they then established themselves in CL so could attract massive sponsorship deals.

Problem with us is we never achieve anymore. We couldn't get into top 4 with all the mass spending under Lerner so had to face those consequences and now we can't even get promotion after spending 50m in two years on many proven players at this level.

The way to evade FFP is simply to go up and predictably we're making it look like the most difficult thing to achieve in football.

Surprised at the amount of people who want us to spend another 50m on more unsuitable players, it hasn't worked and we need a more long term approach that will hopefully yield short term success otherwise the club will be in even more financial trouble in a couple of years.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
FFP does seem like a bit of a dark art.

I would guess the punishments are staggered by how much you go past the threshold ie you won’t get a 20 point deduction for going £50 over the limit so does there have to be a decision made of we’ll break the rules but this is how far we’ll push it?

Also, where it seems a bit stupid is if we know we are going to be £x short of FFP threshold and our one true saleable asset is Jack and we set a price tag of say £40m but the highest bid is £25m because the buyers know we are in the crap from FFP are we forced to sell or would there be grounds to sue as restraint of trade??  I know less about law than I do about football tactics (which is not a lot!) but from a moral point of view it all seems wrong.

Wonder if in time that 45 minutes of gutless nonsense last Saturday & the lack of accountability for the fact that we didn’t get top 2 this season will be defining moments.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
I assume the punishment would be moderated by the fact if it’s a non compliance due to difficult trading conditions or an abuse of the system where we deliberately went outside the loss limit.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
The hollow notion of “Financial fair play” has never stopped Manchester Citeh from buying everything in sight.

Man. City takeover happened before it came in I think and they then established themselves in CL so could attract massive sponsorship deals.

Problem with us is we never achieve anymore. We couldn't get into top 4 with all the mass spending under Lerner so had to face those consequences and now we can't even get promotion after spending 50m in two years on many proven players at this level.

The way to evade FFP is simply to go up and predictably we're making it look like the most difficult thing to achieve in football.

Surprised at the amount of people who want us to spend another 50m on more unsuitable players, it hasn't worked and we need a more long term approach that will hopefully yield short term success otherwise the club will be in even more financial trouble in a couple of years.

It's this bit, isn't it. Everyone who's allegedly flouted the regulations in the past has made bloody sure they get promoted. We could spend billions in the summer, and I still wouldn't put more than a tenner on us not fucking it up.

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
There is talk that if we paid  the fines we  could overcome FFP and continue to spend.  First of all I have also  heard of possible point deductions and Villa being a big name in the Championship would definitely be under scrutiny. 

Also the owner(s) of Aston Villa or should I say the custonians do they really have the funds

I've never been convinced that Tony has the funds - if he has, why did he wait until the club was devalued by relegation before buying it?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »

It's this bit, isn't it. Everyone who's allegedly flouted the regulations in the past has made bloody sure they get promoted. We could spend billions in the summer, and I still wouldn't put more than a tenner on us not fucking it up.

Same here. The club just dosen't give out the confidence it can achieve its goals anymore. If the "been it seen it" squad couldn't achieve promotion then I won't be holding my breath on next years edition achieving it so we're in another two year cycle imo.

Once you're in the safety net of premier league they don't really care about punishing clubs for issues they had in football league. Bournemouth and Leicester were both fined pocket money for going above FFP limits.

However when QPR got relegated in 2015 they were then hit with big sanctions so not only have you got to go up but stay up and then the problems will largely go away.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
There is talk that if we paid  the fines we  could overcome FFP and continue to spend.  First of all I have also  heard of possible point deductions and Villa being a big name in the Championship would definitely be under scrutiny. 

Also the owner(s) of Aston Villa or should I say the custonians do they really have the funds

I've never been convinced that Tony has the funds - if he has, why did he wait until the club was devalued by relegation before buying it?

Because well bought is half sold. Did you learn nothing from Uncle Doug?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that we'll flog everything we have of value, firmly entrenching ourselves in the middle reaches of this nothing league, and then they'll do away with FFP?

« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
Provided we are clear on FFP for the season just finished, get a decent manager, spend a s*** load on players, get promoted automatically and before the season ends, get sponsored based on PL football (after all, it's supposed to be worth a fortune to clubs), dump the money in the accounts and Bob's your uncle.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
It's all well and good having these options now however if clubs have failed it for season just gone, why has no one had an embargo yet or even a slap on the wrist? doesnt seem like they are doing much about it

Because no one has failed FFP since the rules changed, yet. A number of clubs that have failed it in the past, before the rule changes, had transfer embargos. Forest, Leeds, Bolton, Fulham, sha, Cardiff to name a few.

« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
Somebody mentioned previously about the possible points deduction to drop a club from automatic promotion into the play-offs or ply-offs to below. How does this work when accounts are not due until after the season finishes. With the two past years and estimate for the year to come, surely you are not going to admit you are going to fail in advance.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »
Your not going to get an auditor to sign off on cooked books!

Man City don't fall foul of FFP as they make an absolute fortune.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
I think you will find people who have money usually make it by doing this sort of thing.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
Fining clubs for spending too much is fucking dumb.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal