collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219652 times)

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
Problem now is with the ridiculous TV money in the premier league so many championship clubs will overspend to try to reach the milk and honey. If 10 + do that as seems the case only three can get promoted so very much odds against.

Once you're up in the prem the demand is then to spend 100m + as everyone else is doing it so your wage bill becomes stupid again.

I can see in ten years time every premier league club spending 200m in a summer. Three will still get relegated and 13/14 will finish out of european places so not really sure what the long term aim of all this is.

I don't see how a rich owner leaving a club with a massive wage bill is that different to getting relegated from the Prem. Three clubs get relegated with players on enormous contracts that the relegated clubs can no longer afford due to less tv money coming in and parachute payments give them a go at coming straight back up. That doesn't work, but the owner, who is cash rich, is prevented from speculating. So they sell off the most expensive assets and put their feet up with the also-rans, probably tumbling through the league system. Meanwhile, those clubs with brands to sell, built when FFP was not in place, hoover up the tv cash and get official tyre sponsors, or whatever.

FFP is basically a punishment for being shit. It has nothing to do with competitiveness or wanting to stop clubs going out of business; if it was, then they wouldn't impose fines and points deductions or transfer embargoes. It's about protecting the business plan of a few elite clubs.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
Spot on. The financial fair play rules have never remotely been about financial fair play.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
Doug would have fucking loved FFP, the tight fisted fucker.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
Doug would have fucking loved FFP, the tight fisted fucker.

Don't be so sure - his exorbitant salary would've counted towards the losses too.

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
In slightly related news Cal O’Hare out for 10 weeks and will miss pre-season & the start of 18/19. So there’s one we can’t just slot in to plug a gap...

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
Spot on. The financial fair play rules have never remotely been about financial fair play.

Fair play would have been some kind of wage cap etc this way it just keep the same clubs at the top .

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2018, 10:02:26 PM »
Can we wait till January to sell any of our better players.The chances are that Grealish and Kodjia will increase in value or a youngster will become valuable property.Certainly get rid of more average players to reduce the wage bill and bring in fees.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
In two minds about Hourihane. Limited but does score goals at this level.

Good bench option for me to come on in the latter stages of games.  I like Bjarnason but I think we could sell him if he does OK at the World Cup,

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »
In two minds about Hourihane. Limited but does score goals at this level.

Good bench option for me to come on in the latter stages of games.  I like Bjarnason but I think we could sell him if he does OK at the World Cup,

Bjarni wanted to go in January but was persuaded to stay on until the summer. He's the sort that wants to be starting every week and wasn't happy when he was dropped after the good run of form he had.

Can certainly see him wanting away in next few weeks but certainly wise as a good tournament will only increase his values and he did well at euro 2016.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2018, 05:39:43 AM »
Can we wait till January to sell any of our better players.The chances are that Grealish and Kodjia will increase in value or a youngster will become valuable property.Certainly get rid of more average players to reduce the wage bill and bring in fees.

Yes I was thinking the same. But it's obviously a risk as the market is less reliable in January. We really would be desperate at that point. So can't see us going into January still needing to find £20m. Unless we're ultimately prepared to risk breaching the rules. Which maybe we are

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2018, 07:42:39 AM »
A bit more invention perhaps - Villa Park becoming the "Recon Arena" or "Recon Villa Park" for £30m a season for 5 years? Has Dr Tony got the financial clout??

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:13 AM »
One of the less obvious reasons I wanted us to go up was to see the colour of Dr T's money.  I do believe he's genuine and has the financial clout, but there is that nagging suspicion he is hiding behind the FFP thing.  Had we gone up there would have been no excuse and we could have seen what he was all about in his plan to get us to Eurpoean domination.

I'm still confused as to how some teams seem to be able to swerve it better than others - surely Wolves were outspending their turnover - and yet we always seem to have to fall in line.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
You can delay the loss on sale but you can't delay the amortisation.

If we're saying Hogan's book value is £9m and it's amortising at £3m per year a sale for £5m would crystallise a £4m loss.

Taking a loan fee of £1m would result in a £3m amortisation charge - net result £2m.

So yeah, short term its better but only if the other club is committed to buying the player. Otherwise you stand to lose £4m if you can't sell him the following year.

That's why I said part. It depends how bad the financial position is as to what we have to do.

I don't things are as bad as people are thinking and I think there is a lot of over simplification being used. I am not saying we are in a great financial position but I don't think we are in 'car boot sale' territory.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
Is everybody a chartered accountant all of a sudden?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
More than one poster on here is an accountant, yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal