collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219733 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
The thing is, you don't need to spend fortunes and if we can keep the core of our squad together, we don't need to sign too many players either. Defensively we will need some work, but ultimately we have been less than the sum of our parts this season.

Whoever comes in, touch wood, will hopefully by the time the window shuts, have Chester, Jedinak, Grealish and Kodjia running up the spine of the side. With some more pace and attacking intent surrounding that it ought to be a very good side again.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:31 AM »
According to one of the papers yesterday Jedinak is on 45k a week and Lansbury 35k a week.

If Henri can somehow wrangle 35k a week when I don't think he's played a single minute of premier league football in his career then I imagine Hourihane wouldn't be far off that. If he isn't he needs to sack his agent.

Then you factor in players dropping down from the prem like AEM and Whelan.

As much as I'm trying to put a better spin on things we are in a bit of a hole with yet again the wage bill compared to what we're turning over. We're paying our squad players not far off what the squad players at Spurs are getting.

Either we let Steve Bruce get on with it to sort out his own mess of putting together an ageing expensive squad or we gave that as the main reason for mutually consenting his deal.

Of course that will have to be another manager we pay off so would that go against us on FFP?

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
If we could sign Hernandez on a free then I would sell Kodjia

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »
The thing is, you don't need to spend fortunes and if we can keep the core of our squad together, we don't need to sign too many players either. Defensively we will need some work, but ultimately we have been less than the sum of our parts this season.

Whoever comes in, touch wood, will hopefully by the time the window shuts, have Chester, Jedinak, Grealish and Kodjia running up the spine of the side. With some more pace and attacking intent surrounding that it ought to be a very good side again.

We played less than the sum of our parts but we still accumulated 80 + points.

I really can't see us getting close to that next season and you have no chance of going up automatically if you don't get past 80 points.

So play offs at best which everyone loves now of course. One day we'll finally have an 11 that will play a great game in a major final at Wembley but the much lauded been it, seen it 11 couldn't.

I'd personally let go of SB, get in Dean Smith,tell him he has a season to reconstruct the team and get us in shape (as SB did in 16/17), tell him not to worry about dissent from the Holte End if we draw 1-1 at home to Forest and let him get on with things.

He's had two top 10 finishes with Brentford so the guy can manage at this level. Anyone who expects us to go up next season (automatically) will be a bit bonkers as too much work to do. We can be in the mix for top 6 if we sign well.

Offline Ads

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
Depends who we keep. A fit Jack and Kodjia, why not? We need more pace, we lacked it all season.

Plenty of shite keeps going up without spending much.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:54 AM »

I really can't see us getting close to that next season and you have no chance of going up automatically if you don't get past 80 points.

So play offs at best which everyone loves now of course. One day we'll finally have an 11 that will play a great game in a major final at Wembley but the much lauded been it, seen it 11 couldn't.

I'd personally let go of SB, get in Dean Smith,tell him he has a season to reconstruct the team and get us in shape (as SB did in 16/17), tell him not to worry about dissent from the Holte End if we draw 1-1 at home to Forest and let him get on with things.

He's had two top 10 finishes with Brentford so the guy can manage at this level. Anyone who expects us to go up next season (automatically) will be a bit bonkers as too much work to do. We can be in the mix for top 6 if we sign well.

I completely agree with you mate. There are those who have and will say it's a massive risk, but everything is. Holding on to SB, for me, is a massive risk, and I can't see it paying off.

Offline Ads

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
Chelts seems confident he's going. I do feel a new approach is needed. We've tried to sledgehammer our way out, got close, but now a bit of precision is required. 

Offline lukey27

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
I think the most inevitable thing about losing in the play-off final is all of the doom and gloom around FFP and potentially being stuck in this league for a long time.

We finished with 5 loan players last year. When we start in August I would expect at least close to that again. Davis, Bree and Green will all play bigger parts next year, so I think to say that we will be nowhere near the top two next year is guesswork.

Most sides in English football and all sides at this level build a team for 12 months to try and achieve their objectives. Once all the white noise settles down, we have a settled coaching structure and boardroom structure to be able to get a more than competitive squad together.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
Chelts seems confident he's going. I do feel a new approach is needed. We've tried to sledgehammer our way out, got close, but now a bit of precision is required. 
Is Chelts info current or based on info from a while back that if we don't meet certain targets he will go?

If the latter, it may be that Tone thinks the injuries were mitigating circumstances and we got close enough to give him another go.

Personally I want a change, but not meeting a specific target is rarely as black and white as it may seem.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
I think a parting of the ways would be good for Steve Bruce long term aswell.

I know he's a Geordie rolls his sleeves up type of guy as he keeps on saying but with all that's happened to him off the pitch he probably needs time away from football even if he dosen't realise it.

Come back in a years time and pretty sure likes of Norwich will need a manager so he'd have plenty of job offers.

Please don't tell me in two years time he'd get a Norwich promoted from this league and we'd still be down here working out if we could sell Hepburn-Murphy to Brentford for 40m to meet the latest FFP requirements!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
All of that is, in my opinion, just further proof that the correct course for us to take is to continue to develop youngsters (and sign promising 15-16 year olds into the academy from other clubs) and when we do spend money it should be on players who will either retain the value or who can part of things for a number of years.  If we want to add experienced players on frees/bosmans then that's ok but once you're paying big money for players in their late 20s you're on a course towards ruin, we've seen this story play out twice now.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »

Agree with you both that we played less than the sum of our parts,ie we underperformed,which is an indictment of Bruce.All we should ask of any manager is that we progress under him with the financial situation ,at least initially,
being a factor in measuring progress. As you say,getting us in shape so we can be optimistic about future seasons would be acceptable.
The situation is rather like following MON after his stint at clubs but we seem to have a more clued up board than previous regimes.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
Situaiton is similar to when we came down in 2016 I think. Bloated squad, lots of questions about our future direction.

I think at this level we're going to have two year cycles, a year of consolidation and then the next one we have a good crack at promotion as we just have. I see it panning out that way anyway.

If in 2020 we still haven't gone up then we do run the risk of being another Forest/Sheff Weds/Leeds as those sort of teams became stagnant when they didn' go up after 3/4 years and indeed all went down to league one so things could go very much worse than just losing play off finals.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
According to one of the papers yesterday Jedinak is on 45k a week and Lansbury 35k a week.

If Henri can somehow wrangle 35k a week when I don't think he's played a single minute of premier league football in his career then I imagine Hourihane wouldn't be far off that. If he isn't he needs to sack his agent.

Then you factor in players dropping down from the prem like AEM and Whelan.

As much as I'm trying to put a better spin on things we are in a bit of a hole with yet again the wage bill compared to what we're turning over. We're paying our squad players not far off what the squad players at Spurs are getting.

Either we let Steve Bruce get on with it to sort out his own mess of putting together an ageing expensive squad or we gave that as the main reason for mutually consenting his deal.

Of course that will have to be another manager we pay off so would that go against us on FFP?

How the hell did we end up paying those wages , its not like we were in competition with other teams for them ..Jedinek I can excuse a little as at least he was dropping down a league but Lanbury really FFS

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
I think that whatever happens we will be competitive next season, we've just missed capitalising on the massive advantage we've had for these past two seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal