collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219743 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
I'm amazed that the FFP rules haven't fallen foul of EU competition and free movement of capital laws.
At some point they will be, I guess it needs someone to be brave enough to take it on.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »
I'm amazed that the FFP rules haven't fallen foul of EU competition and free movement of capital laws.

You're not alone. Given the aim is to avoid monopolies and uncompetitive practice, I fail to see how interfering with an owners ability to invest in a business that would allow another club to climb the ladder fits in with that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2018, 07:13:48 PM »
With how some clubs have taken the piss, i'm looking at you Leicester, I can see why it was brought in. And long term it probably helps some clubs not end up fecked and in administration.
Problem is if you have say, Bill Gates buy a club. He should be able to spend as much as he wants, as long as it isn't actually landing a club with debt. And that's then another problem if it's allowed, FFP and those responsible won't know how long term it is. No one will. Bill Gates could come in at say Barnsley, spend £200m of his own money on transfers, cover the massive increase in wages, non of it is loans just him happily spending and writing off his own money, but then a year or 2 later he gets bored and leaves, or passes away, saddling them with a massive wage bill they haven't a hope of being able to afford once Gates has gone. Then what for Barnsley.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:18:34 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
After 2 years of excitement they can go back to sacrificing virgins to make sure the sun keeps rising I suppose.

Gaydamack at Portsmouth is probably the wrong un' these rules were designed to stop.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
The likes of Rushden and Diamonds, Darlington etc as well.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »

Didn't Wyness suggest in that interview that the club were challenging the FFP rules with Football League? Or did I imagine that?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
It's naïve beyond belief to think that FFP was genuinely brought in to stop clubs going to the wall. As others have said, if that's the case, why can't gazillionaires just pump loads of their own money in?

FFP is designed to make sure the same name keep cropping up at the top of the major leagues so that those leagues can build some brands and make shit loads of money selling viewing rights around the world.

The game wouldn't be anywhere near as popular if the top 6 changed every year.

And now those clubs are established it's not a massive leap of faith to think that the next thing will be an expansion of the Champions League (in terms of games, not clubs) and a switch of those games to Saturdays and domestic league games to midweek. That way you can time Champions League games at a time the Far East don't have to set the alarm clock for 5am and they'll make even more money.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »
It's naïve beyond belief to think that FFP was genuinely brought in to stop clubs going to the wall. As others have said, if that's the case, why can't gazillionaires just pump loads of their own money in?

FFP is designed to make sure the same name keep cropping up at the top of the major leagues so that those leagues can build some brands and make shit loads of money selling viewing rights around the world.

The game wouldn't be anywhere near as popular if the top 6 changed every year.

And now those clubs are established it's not a massive leap of faith to think that the next thing will be an expansion of the Champions League (in terms of games, not clubs) and a switch of those games to Saturdays and domestic league games to midweek. That way you can time Champions League games at a time the Far East don't have to set the alarm clock for 5am and they'll make even more money.

Nail on head ..FFP was to stop another Man City spoiling the party of the established big teams

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »
The ironic thing was this was all agreed nearly 10 years ago and some of the clubs who were all for it when they had their noses in the trough have suddenly found its them being penalised. Be careful what you wish for i guess.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
I think it's a bit of both, it must have been embarrassing for the leagues to have so many clubs going into administration. From 2008-20013 a quick Google and 20 clubs from the Conference North/South level upwards went into administration, 12 were league clubs, since 2013 i'm not sure any have. So something is working somewhere.

And they definitely always want Man Utd, Real, etc at the top of their leagues.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
Do debts transfer from one owner to the next in FFP world?  Could Recon (or another of Xia's businesses) buy Villa, effectively re-setting the clock back to zero whilst all other variables stay the same?  That system would be ripe for abuse but it seems unfair that a new regime would be responsible for the previous owners mis-management.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
Next season will be our third under Recon so it doesn't matter

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »
FFP is also creating a new problem for the Premiership in that it is cementing small, unfashionable clubs in the league at the expense of others (like us) who pull in more viewers. I can't ses the Chinese paying a fortune to see  Bournemouth play Huddersfield or Watford play Brighton so the product will in time be less able to attract the big TV money of the past both at home and abroad. Last year, our games were often pulling better viewer numbers than many Premiership games.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
We are really under pressure now.  The new season kicks off in 9 weeks.  There’s a World Cup in the middle of it all meaning business will probably be slow.  In addition the window closes earlier this year.  It is partly for this reason they will stick with Bruce unless he does his usual resigning trick.  I’m genuinely concerned. 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
Next season will be our third under Recon so it doesn't matter

Yeah, but Xia buys us again, wearing a disguise, using another of his businesses as the purchaser.  There's so little transparency with Chinese businesses that I'm sure they could fabricate the paperwork.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal