collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219734 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »
Given that Fulham apparently spent a net £3M (last season?) to go up, it further convinces me that having the right manager & club structure is more important than continuing to spunk money. It may take a few seasons to bring about such a revolution at VP, but shirley it's worth instigating - now we've hit financial Palookaville? Bruce continually bangs/banged on about experience being vital, but players only become experienced by being given a chance to play first team football when they're younger. His reluctance to utilise some of our young talent has aided & abetted the huge Summer clear-out which we're about to witness, so I hope sincerely hope The Suits have realised a radically different approach is now necessary to push this club forward. Bring it on, I say.

Revolution NOW. We're not evolving, we're not progressing, we're fucking dull and boring, and we've got exactly what our approach has deserved; nothing.

And as for "stability", our ever-dwindling income doesn't scream stable to me.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Just to clarify, for the three seasons just ended, our acc losses needed to be under 61 mill ( PL=35, CH= 13). We submitted ( as did all clubs) an estimated accounts for season just ended - by Mar 1st.

Now we wait.......

March 2019, figure drops from 61 to 39.

Offline dalians umbrella

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2018, 03:02:22 PM »
When Tony Xia took over and there was mention of Villa Park being re-named, I was completely against it but if things are bad financially, I really think this is the way to go  - it could then go back to being Villa Park when the financial situation has improved.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »
Given that Fulham apparently spent a net £3M (last season?) to go up, it further convinces me that having the right manager & club structure is more important than continuing to spunk money. It may take a few seasons to bring about such a revolution at VP, but shirley it's worth instigating - now we've hit financial Palookaville? Bruce continually bangs/banged on about experience being vital, but players only become experienced by being given a chance to play first team football when they're younger. His reluctance to utilise some of our young talent has aided & abetted the huge Summer clear-out which we're about to witness, so I hope sincerely hope The Suits have realised a radically different approach is now necessary to push this club forward. Bring it on, I say.

Revolution NOW. We're not evolving, we're not progressing, we're fucking dull and boring, and we've got exactly what our approach has deserved; nothing.

And as for "stability", our ever-dwindling income doesn't scream stable to me.

I completely concur with not waiting a moment longer for the revolution. I'm just not sure it'll turn us into instant world-beaters: especially with the amount of over-paid & under-performing wasters that we still have stinkin' the place out.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »
Re: Transfer embargoes

This is dated Oct 2014 - no idea if anything has changed

How the embargo works

Any embargo would be applied before the start of January Transfer window. Under the ban, a club could still players however they will only be able to sign a player if it is on a ‘one a one-out, one in’ basis where both the following conditions apply:

The club has fewer than 24 registered players, and
The incoming player has wages of below 75% of the departing player.

Once an embargo is applied a club can apply in March to the Football League to have the ban removed. However the removal of the ban cannot take place until 31 May 2015 and will only occur where the club has submitted Interim Information that confirms the club is on target to pass the FFP test in the following December (i.e. relating to the 2014/15 Season).

It is therefore possible that some of the clubs that start their transfer embargo in 1 January 2015 will not have their ban removed during next summer’s transfer window.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »
As far as I know if you have a transfer embargo you cannot pay a fee of any kind, including compensation or loan fees.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
When Tony Xia took over and there was mention of Villa Park being re-named, I was completely against it but if things are bad financially, I really think this is the way to go  - it could then go back to being Villa Park when the financial situation has improved.

That wouldn't raise very much money

Stadium naming rights only really have value on new stadiums. People would still call Villa Park Villa Park, and that is why it would attract minimal money.

Offline dalians umbrella

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »

Stadium naming rights only really have value on new stadiums. People would still call Villa Park Villa Park, and that is why it would attract minimal money.

no, I meant for Recon to sponsor it and for Xia to plough in as much money as legally possible - Recon Park.

Man City managed to plough in 400 million using this tactic:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/12/arsenal-manchester-city-premier-league

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:06:54 PM by dalians umbrella »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »

It’s all a bit clutching at straws now.

Offline dalians umbrella

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2018, 04:11:01 PM »

why? If Man City can use the tactic to inject 400m, why can't we use the same tactic to inject a substantial amount via Recon?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »

why? If Man City can use the tactic to inject 400m, why can't we use the same tactic to inject a substantial amount via Recon?
It was a new stadium.
It is a long term commitment.
The rules and penalties of FFP had not been established.
There are independent firms that will provide an independent valuation of the naming rights and whatever that comes out at is the amount that will be allowed and as Paulie points out it will not be significant.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
Just to clarify, for the three seasons just ended, our acc losses needed to be under 61 mill ( PL=35, CH= 13). We submitted ( as did all clubs) an estimated accounts for season just ended - by Mar 1st.

Now we wait.......

March 2019, figure drops from 61 to 39.
pretty sure we're fine for the last year it's the next onr that's the problem

As has been spelled out here about five times

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
As far as I know if you have a transfer embargo you cannot pay a fee of any kind, including compensation or loan fees.

That’s right, I think PWS - but if no loan fee, you are allowed to pay more of the players wages - which may then conflict with the “pay the new player less than the old one”

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »

It was a new stadium.
It is a long term commitment.
The rules and penalties of FFP had not been established.
There are independent firms that will provide an independent valuation of the naming rights and whatever that comes out at is the amount that will be allowed and as Paulie points out it will not be significant.

Man City had been fined £49 million for being in breach of FFP, which is one of the reasons they arranged £40 million a year sponsorship deal with Etihad.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 06:44:32 PM »
I'm amazed that the FFP rules haven't fallen foul of EU competition and free movement of capital laws.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal