collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 04:18:08 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 04:12:53 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by aj2k77
[Today at 04:08:51 PM]

Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 04:08:45 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 04:06:10 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 03:28:55 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 476276 times)

Online wolfman999

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
At the moment, there's a lot of speculation but the truth is, we think we do but none of us know the true state of the clubs finances. I think those now in charge wil have considered this outcome and planned accordingly. What it does show is how TV money has destroyed the natural order of things with the top league dominated by small poorly supported clubs like Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth et all. If I was the Premiership, I would be very scared that I was in danger of no longer being the saleable product abroad that I was. I can't see many in China staying up to watch Bournemouth play Huddersfield.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2018, 08:51:12 AM »
Unfortunately they aint bothered, the other clubs are just the cannon fodder for the top 6 clubs that take up 95% of the PL foreign glory hunting revenue raisers.

Offline kentishvillan

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »

Crikey.  One or two panicky posters on here.  Yes, the loanees will go, plus probably JT and Hutton, and we instantly need a new goalkeeper, left back and centre half, but as long as we keep Grealish and Chester, and Kodjia re-discovers his mojo, we have enough elsewhere in the squad to be a force in this league once again.  But we will need to start to use the younger players: Bree should be a starter at RB, RHM and Davis should support Kodjia and Hogan in attack, and we need to get O'Hare up to speed to play in midfield.  But above all this is the question of the manager.  If we go again with Steve Bruce I fear we will simply get more of the same: football played on the back foot and on the break.  In my view that's not good enough for Aston Villa in the 2nd division.  We need a change of style and emphasis, which is why I would thank SB for his services and look for more progressive thought elsewhere.
[/quote]

Excellent post, that’s exactly how I see things too. There will be more than enough quality, experience and most importantly a fine crop of youngsters coming through, in order to mount a challenge next season. Also, I don’t envisage there being 2 stand out footballing teams like Wolves and Fulham in this division next season, especially amongst the 3 teams coming down to join us.
However, the job is a different one next season and not one best suited to Steve Bruce. A thoroughly decent and honourable man, and I so wanted him to succeed, but the ‘project’ is now heading in a different direction and a more progressive style of play is surely required. Dean Smith seems an obvious early candidate, however I’d like to think that we will draft up a shortlist that includes strict criteria beyond just being a Villa fan. No idea exactly who that might be, but the emphasis has to be on developing youngsters, and playing stylish attacking football.
I felt lower than a snake’s belly as I walked out of the stadium yesterday, but now is the time to look forward as our once great club needs us all more than ever. VTID !

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »

Crikey.  One or two panicky posters on here.  Yes, the loanees will go, plus probably JT and Hutton, and we instantly need a new goalkeeper, left back and centre half, but as long as we keep Grealish and Chester, and Kodjia re-discovers his mojo, we have enough elsewhere in the squad to be a force in this league once again.  But we will need to start to use the younger players: Bree should be a starter at RB, RHM and Davis should support Kodjia and Hogan in attack, and we need to get O'Hare up to speed to play in midfield.  But above all this is the question of the manager.  If we go again with Steve Bruce I fear we will simply get more of the same: football played on the back foot and on the break.  In my view that's not good enough for Aston Villa in the 2nd division.  We need a change of style and emphasis, which is why I would thank SB for his services and look for more progressive thought elsewhere.

Excellent post, that’s exactly how I see things too. There will be more than enough quality, experience and most importantly a fine crop of youngsters coming through, in order to mount a challenge next season. Also, I don’t envisage there being 2 stand out footballing teams like Wolves and Fulham in this division next season, especially amongst the 3 teams coming down to join us.
However, the job is a different one next season and not one best suited to Steve Bruce. A thoroughly decent and honourable man, and I so wanted him to succeed, but the ‘project’ is now heading in a different direction and a more progressive style of play is surely required. Dean Smith seems an obvious early candidate, however I’d like to think that we will draft up a shortlist that includes strict criteria beyond just being a Villa fan. No idea exactly who that might be, but the emphasis has to be on developing youngsters, and playing stylish attacking football.
I felt lower than a snake’s belly as I walked out of the stadium yesterday, but now is the time to look forward as our once great club needs us all more than ever. VTID !
[/quote]I’ll endorse all of that.
Gotta look forward now, with a progressive and smart manager.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
I'd be amazed if we were able to hold on to Chester. He's been the best defender in the Championship by a mile and is bound to attract a lot of interest. Regarding Smith, I think he's much more than just a Villa fan, done an incredible job at Brentford, he can spot a good player from the lower leagues which is something we may have to do now and can probably get a tune out of Hogan.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2018, 10:08:44 AM »
Regarding Smith, I think he's much more than just a Villa fan, done an incredible job at Brentford, he can spot a good player from the lower leagues which is something we may have to do now and can probably get a tune out of Hogan.

Brentford are (in)famous for using sabermetric techniques, which is either good or bad depending on your perspective.  Either way, it will have had a significant influence on the club's performances over the years, so we'd either have to replicate that system or there's a risk that the 'moneyball' was the key component rather than the Smith himself.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
Regarding Smith, I think he's much more than just a Villa fan, done an incredible job at Brentford, he can spot a good player from the lower leagues which is something we may have to do now and can probably get a tune out of Hogan.

Brentford are (in)famous for using sabermetric techniques, which is either good or bad depending on your perspective.  Either way, it will have had a significant influence on the club's performances over the years, so we'd either have to replicate that system or there's a risk that the 'moneyball' was the key component rather than the Smith himself.

Smith has also signed a few players he had at Walsall, Rico Henry and Sawyers so they don't just sign all their players from a database.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
The one thing that still gives me hope for next season is that I don't see another standout team amongst the list of who will be in our division.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
and that's the problem - one spot will be occupied by the side you least expect to do well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »
The one thing that still gives me hope for next season is that I don't see another standout team amongst the list of who will be in our division.

Can see Boro doing everything Cardiff did this year.

Think they'll be up there for top 2.

Stoke under Rowett probably look the best of the relegated teams to challenge. West Brom and Swansea will have a lot of changes in their squads.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
Someone will jump forward from the crowd, they always do.  Hopefully the hurt from this year serves as motivation for Villa next season.

Offline kentishvillan

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »
I'd be amazed if we were able to hold on to Chester. He's been the best defender in the Championship by a mile and is bound to attract a lot of interest. Regarding Smith, I think he's much more than just a Villa fan, done an incredible job at Brentford, he can spot a good player from the lower leagues which is something we may have to do now and can probably get a tune out of Hogan.
I agree, he is much more than just a Villa fan, but at the moment his is the only name I’m hearing being put forward on here. We surely need a decent shortlist drafted up with several viable candidates which match the scope of the job in hand.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
The big worry is that the main ''characters'' in the squad, the leaders, will all be gone.

I don't want us to become a group of individuals easily bullied around the pitch again. This summer is a massive rebuilding job now.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
Shaun Hutchinson from Milwall, Centreback, might be worth a look if we are skint.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
This nonsense about Dean Smith being able to unlock some mystical scoring ability in Scott Hogan. He cost us £15m which for a Championship striker is a fortune. He's got a very simple remit, score or contribute to goals. People including myself have been quick to label Bruce a failure on the basis of his performance versus targets this season, well if you ask me, Hogan's been abysmal and I've seen nothing from him to suggest that he should be a part of any future Villa squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal