collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AV84
[Today at 04:40:53 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Mellin
[Today at 04:40:36 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV84
[Today at 04:40:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:39:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 04:38:17 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Jane
[Today at 04:37:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 04:37:13 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:36:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 476284 times)

Online aj2k77

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2018, 12:20:04 AM »
We desperately need some pace injected in to the side.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2018, 12:26:06 AM »
That's a depressing squad. The defence is a mixture of the unproven, incompetent and incapable

We will obviously have to get in some decent loans for the defence.

Midfield and attack shouldn't be decimated if we play our cards right and invest properly from selling a key player or two.

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2018, 12:33:21 AM »
We desperately need some pace injected in to the side.
Snodgrass will be gone and green will add more pace if not the telling balls. RHM also considerably faster than Grabban.  Got to be the way forward.  If we can keep Jack we have got a great attacking midfield/front line

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »
That's a depressing squad. The defence is a mixture of the unproven, incompetent and incapable

Midfield and attack shouldn't be decimated if we play our cards right and invest properly from selling a key player or two.

Midfield we've got enough cover even if we lose a couple and from a financials point of view, I can see us going in with only 1 of Grabban, Kodja and Hogan.  I know Grabban is a loanee but they could make that permanent if they offload the other 2, Kodja will get interest but at a reduced fee due to injuries but they could also get in a new manager that wants to rehabilitate Hogan with a new style and striking partner.  It's going to be interesting what Dr T does now that plan A hasn't worked.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2018, 12:41:37 AM »

yeah but whom? To me looking at our squad the limited money must be thrown at the defence. We need to get a tune out of the forwards as they are. and maybe the youth taking up the slack if snodgrass/onamah go. Kodjia is the only name who is worth something and we can cope without, but how much can we get and do we sign grabban given that he's 30?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:43:14 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2018, 12:44:46 AM »

yeah but whom? To me looking at our squad the limited money must be thrown at the defence. We need to get a tune out of the forwards as they are. and maybe the youth taking up the slack if snodgrass/onamah go. Kodjia is the only name who is worth something and we can cope without, but how much can we get and do we sign grabban given that he's 30?
We only sign grabban if we get money for Hogan. no way can we keep both. Grabban in fairness has disappointed the last few games

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2018, 12:57:19 AM »

Grabban been poor last few weeks but he can get 15-20 at this level.

Kodjia needs a good pre season.

Kienan Davis did well in first few months before completely disappearing off the face of the earth when he hit a poor spell. Wouldn't write him off as he showed decent potential at times.

RHM needs to be given a chance. Talked about as this great prospect but I've seen him play once in the last three years and that was only a five minute cameo.

For next year in midfield we have currently contracted Jack, Adomah, Hourihane, Whelan, Green, Lansbury, Jedinak, Bjarni and youngsters like O'Hare. I'm not naive to think they'll all stay but there is still quality and experience in that group.

Defence will need the most work unless we do really have a massive firesale.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2018, 01:04:06 AM »
We're in the shit. There's no other way to put this. Time to play the kids and knuckle down for a long period of building something organic whilst stuck in the Championship. There's literally no point in scrambling for loans and cheap grafters at the end of their PL tenure just to fall short again, we might as well bite the bullet, strip it all down, and start again. I'd personally start off by bringing Keinan, Hepburn-Murphy and Green back into the fold immediately, introducing O'Hare, selling whoever we can get decent money for, and telling the likes of Hogan to just fuck off wherever he pleases.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2018, 03:25:45 AM »
We're in the shit. There's no other way to put this. Time to play the kids and knuckle down for a long period of building something organic whilst stuck in the Championship. There's literally no point in scrambling for loans and cheap grafters at the end of their PL tenure just to fall short again, we might as well bite the bullet, strip it all down, and start again. I'd personally start off by bringing Keinan, Hepburn-Murphy and Green back into the fold immediately, introducing O'Hare, selling whoever we can get decent money for, and telling the likes of Hogan to just fuck off wherever he pleases.

And await life in League 1, no thanks. First thing we all need to do is calm down, this is not armageddon.  Sure we'll need to cut our cloth but we're not going from the most expensively assembled Championship side ever to young reserves overnight.  As for Hogan, there's actually a player there that can score goals, you've just got to play to his strengths.  If we won't/can't then we should look to move him on but it'd be interesting to see what a Villa managed by say Dean Smith might do for his game.

Offline paul richard

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
Crikey.  One or two panicky posters on here.  Yes, the loanees will go, plus probably JT and Hutton, and we instantly need a new goalkeeper, left back and centre half, but as long as we keep Grealish and Chester, and Kodjia re-discovers his mojo, we have enough elsewhere in the squad to be a force in this league once again.  But we will need to start to use the younger players: Bree should be a starter at RB, RHM and Davis should support Kodjia and Hogan in attack, and we need to get O'Hare up to speed to play in midfield.  But above all this is the question of the manager.  If we go again with Steve Bruce I fear we will simply get more of the same: football played on the back foot and on the break.  In my view that's not good enough for Aston Villa in the 2nd division.  We need a change of style and emphasis, which is why I would thank SB for his services and look for more progressive thought elsewhere.

Offline myf

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »
Hutton is gone. Taylor will still be here.....

Whelan's got another year hasn't he? I know he's taken plenty of stick but thought he was o.k in the run in when he played. Lansbury aswell is still here. Bjarni will probably move on.

Of course these players on their own aren't match winners or will get us promoted but they are experienced heads so won't completely lose that factor.

I've never been as much a Hutton fan as some on here, but if we're shedding experience, to me it'd make sense to offer him a contract on reduced terms to cover both full back positions (whether he'd accept it is another matter of course). I think Taylor will be on his bike, he's clearly out of favour.

For me, if Whelan, Lansbury or Bjarneson aren't considered good enough to feature in the first 14 in a final, there's little point in keeping them as I'm sure Whelan and Lansbury at least are on decent money. I'd keep Jedinak but try to find his younger, fitter replacement for him to teach.

Hutton - Did you see the goal yesterday? Get rid

Offline frank black

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2018, 07:02:07 AM »
From what I’ve seen of Corey Blackett-Taylor he looks ready to step up now.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
Bjarnason would be off if Bruce stays never given a fair run. A blatant Midfielder who has energy and gets around pitch there are enough lower Prem teams out there to give 5 to 6 mil and take him and he ll do fine if not moving on to another league

Lansbury interesting one. The Tommy elphick of the midfield.

Interested to see who derby take on as a manager as they have often looked capable for there or thereabouts and villa may turn out like this with ex Prem players and some odd talent or 'championship stars'

Those proven types of jerome and nugent I don't want that anymore rather take players with sell on value.

The goal keeper situation needs to be looked at seriously. And this is one of main concerns

Offline ashkar

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
If bruce stays i can see him going for some Hull players who are out of contract eg. Abel Hernandez, Dawson etc

We need 1 LB, 2 CB, Midfield General and Striker.

Essential to keep hold of Grealish, Chester and Kodija

More game time for the youngsters

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
After yesterday I wouldn't be keeping on Terry or Hutton. Finances probably dictate that we can't anyway but we need to go a different direction

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal