collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Could we have a thread for Wembley travel options and pubs please  (Read 39025 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Could we have a thread for Wembley travel options and pubs please
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2018, 09:48:02 AM »
As a pub The Swiss Cottage is probably nothing special but not a dump. Theres plenty of room, a semblance of a beer garden, & the tube is literally right outside and one stop to Wembley.

Ok - cheers, sounds like as good a place as any to meet up with some friends.

The food is alright in there and Wembley is a piece of piss to get to. Not salubrious but well priced and, as AMFY says, it is a good base. You could also walk half a mile down the Finchley Road and try the North Star.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
As a pub The Swiss Cottage is probably nothing special but not a dump. Theres plenty of room, a semblance of a beer garden, & the tube is literally right outside and one stop to Wembley.

The food is alright in there and Wembley is a piece of piss to get to. Not salubrious but well priced and, as AMFY says, it is a good base. You could also walk half a mile down the Finchley Road and try the North Star.

Cheers, I assume colours are ok as I will have my 17 year old with me in his home top and me in my 1981 replica!

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
Anyone about on Friday night? I'm at a loose end as the rest of my group don't get down from Brum until Saturday.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44235345

Travel chaos warning!

How could they possibly realise that there would be playoff finals this weekend. It only happens every year....

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »
Colours definitely OK in The Swiss Cottage.

After the FA Cup final we joined forces with some Arsenal fans and got anyone who had a half & half scarf to swap with one of us.

Then we errm 'disposed of' the offending items.

I gave up my Villa scarf to one half and half wearer. On the day I was quite happy to lose my scarf due to the disappointment of the final but I stil miss that particular scarf - I really liked it.

So its a pub where you can wear colours and mix happily with opposition supporters.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »

Travel chaos warning!

How could they possibly realise that there would be playoff finals this weekend. It only happens every year....

The amount of people going down is loose change compared to normal passenger numbers.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
Does anyone know from previous experience if the trains leave moor st full ie: is there much chance of getting on at Warwick Parkway (I don’t mind standing) if aiming for one going through Parkway about 9.30 ? Otherwise option is drive to somewhere like Harrow I guess ?

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »

After the FA Cup final we joined forces with some Arsenal fans and got anyone who had a half & half scarf to swap with one of us.

Then we errm 'disposed of' the offending items.

I gave up my Villa scarf to one half and half wearer. On the day I was quite happy to lose my scarf due to the disappointment of the final but I stil miss that particular scarf - I really liked it.

So its a pub where you can wear colours and mix happily with opposition supporters.

Cheers Amfy

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2018, 04:20:56 PM »

Then we errm 'disposed of' the offending items

Ha. Remember that as the high point of a shitty day.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2018, 07:05:06 PM »

IIRC there was a Literary Lions evening in the North Star around 2001, hosted by Simon Inglis and Richard Whitehead. Possibly one other man / woman of the pen.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
North  Star is alright but the building looks far bigger than the bar area. Of course they would prefer to meet such luminaries as the Chair of AVST, Blessed leader from the fanzine, a bloke with a foot in both camps and Villa Submariners uncle....

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »
IIRC there was a Literary Lions evening in the North Star around 2001, hosted by Simon Inglis and Richard Whitehead. Possibly one other man / woman of the pen.

It was a very fine night, just those two, I remember collecting emails for a London Villa Yahoo group we started.
Anyone coming to the Rolling Stones tonight in my garden shed? (I live v close to the Olympic Stadium)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »
Crock of Gold is a decent pub over the road from Ruislip Station.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »

Travel chaos warning!

I’ve only just found out there won’t be trains tomorrow on cross city line, what a day to pick.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »

It was a very fine night, just those two, I remember collecting emails for a London Villa Yahoo group we started.

A very good evening.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal