collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The play offs.  (Read 106698 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The play offs.
« Reply #705 on: May 15, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »

Football has changed - Get over it. We no longer  squash fans onto already overcrowded terraces, we no longer have 11 players and 1 sub, we no longer have football boots that look like they'd snap a mans leg in half and we no longer have an FA Cup final that means as much as winning the league did. It is silly to try to hold onto these things to the detriment of how modern football is and deep down you know it.

Please don't try to tell me what I'm thinking.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #706 on: May 15, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »

Football has changed - Get over it. We no longer  squash fans onto already overcrowded terraces, we no longer have 11 players and 1 sub, we no longer have football boots that look like they'd snap a mans leg in half and we no longer have an FA Cup final that means as much as winning the league did. It is silly to try to hold onto these things to the detriment of how modern football is and deep down you know it.

Do you mean like telling me you knew what I was thinking regarding "silly obsessions"?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #707 on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »

Do you mean like telling me you knew what I was thinking regarding "silly obsessions"?

Which I didn't say at all, so stop trying to argue with all & sundry.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #708 on: May 15, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
Football has changed, we don't win The Cup any more.
But give me this over the so called £100million match any time !

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #709 on: May 15, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »

It is selfish because the majority of our support could not give a toss about the older generation and their obsession with seeing Villa win every trophy.

If you want to win a trophy then great - don't we all?

However, when you put your silly obsession ahead of the good of the club by stating winning the cup is better (for you) than playing in the PL then I consider it to be selfish.

I didn't dismiss the FA Cup. Others with more clout than I have did that over the past 20 years or so.

The majority? You speak for 51% or more of our fans do you?! How on earth can you do that? What are the 'older generation' that you don't give a toss about? You're rather an objectionable shit aren't you?

As for winning a trophy, it seems you don't really care, you just want to be playing in the big league with Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, Watford, Brighton et al. Glory, glory days.

Have you ever seen us win anything? Do you know what it feels like? Or are you just happy to make up the numbers because it's trendy?

Should we even enter the Cups any more? You say you aren't dismissing it, yet you don't seem bothered about winning it. You say others have dismissed it, why don't you be part of the group that do value it, stand up rather than being a dull, meek sheep....

As for putting the future of the club at risk by winning a cup, it's laughable isn't it that we've come to the point where winning isn't the goal, getting more money is. I couldn't give a shit how much money we've got if it doesn't achieve anything.

I've seen us win everything since 1972 & was even at Wembley in 1971  and I never once said I don't give a toss about the older generation.

Yes, I believe I speak for the VAST majority who care more about the club's future than they do about people getting to see Villa win all of the cups & trophies available (bar the UEFA cup of course, which doesn't seem to count).

I think you might find that money does achieve something - It always has.

I'm not sure why you think I am ready to accept scrapping away with Bournemouth?  I'd wager you've become accustomed to the final Lerner years and cannot see beyond that. I personally want to see us challenging again - Like we did under MON, under Gregory, under Little, under Atkinson and under GT. It doesn't have to be just about existing you know?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #710 on: May 15, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
"Correctamundo" and "Get over it", this needs sending to VAR if the mods missed it..

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #711 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
"Correctamundo" and "Get over it", this needs sending to VAR if the mods missed it..

What about "objectionable little shit aren't you"?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #712 on: May 15, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

Gosh, that was a bit uncalled for. Less of the "little", I'm 6 foot 4.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #713 on: May 15, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »
The worst thing about this whole argument is that it's already been answered, we should want to go up and do well in the cups and former gives us a better chance at the latter so why do some people still want to make this a choice.  This is a lot like the argument over the style of football where some people are determined to make a choice between playing attractive, effective football and winning games, as if the 2 things aren't linked.

I want us to go up because I want us to be the best we can be, and that won't happen in the championship, we might win more games but I, personally, can't get all that excited about beating teams like Barnsley and Burton Albion, I want us competing with Tottenham, Liverpool, etc like we were on the cusp of 8-9 years ago. That means playing in Europe, it means getting to cup finals, and winning them, and it means being comfortably top half of the premier league (as a minimum), we shouldn't be picking and choosing between those.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #714 on: May 15, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »

You're right. I'm sorry for suggesting you're a little shit.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #715 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
I've seen us win everything since 1972 & was even at Wembley in 1971  and I never once said I don't give a toss about the older generation.

Yes, I believe I speak for the VAST majority who care more about the club's future than they do about people getting to see Villa win all of the cups & trophies available (bar the UEFA cup of course, which doesn't seem to count).

I think you might find that money does achieve something - It always has.

I'm not sure why you think I am ready to accept scrapping away with Bournemouth?  I'd wager you've become accustomed to the final Lerner years and cannot see beyond that. I personally want to see us challenging again - Like we did under MON, under Gregory, under Little, under Atkinson and under GT. It doesn't have to be just about existing you know?

How odd that the FA Cup is something you don't care about.

You'd lose your money with bets like that, silly man.

I'd swap the MON and Gregory years for the FA Cup; Little and Atkinson won something. Taylor gave us a lot, he rebuilt what had gone to wrack and ruin. I'm hoping Steve Bruce does the same. But I'd still rather have won a cup.

Sky have done a job on you, and if you are in the VAST majority then perhaps the beautiful game is dying.

You said you're bothered about being promoted to the big league, and you'd take that over winning the FA Cup. 

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #716 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:58 PM »
I think this is one of those occasions Brassneck where you should reflect on the fact that you're arguing with pretty much everyone whilst simultaneously claiming to be representing the views of the majority.

Offline waynejames

« Reply #717 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »
Fulham have been allocated just over 38k for the final and have been allocated the east side of the ground. Ever since I went in their neutral section vs Villa they email me all the time peddling their tickets.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #718 on: May 15, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »
Fulham have been allocated just over 38k for the final and have been allocated the east side of the ground. Ever since I went in their neutral section vs Villa they email me all the time peddling their tickets.

I took my son to the opening match of the season when we were down in London and get similar.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #719 on: May 15, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
I think this is one of those occasions Brassneck where you should reflect on the fact that you're arguing with pretty much everyone whilst simultaneously claiming to be representing the views of the majority.

It's the same old people every time - I'd hardly call them the majority. What makes you think that the majority of people give a damn whether Drummond and his mates can enjoy a "full house" at the expense of the future of the club? Nobody cares about these people and their obsessions.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal