collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:08:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Forge10
[Today at 06:07:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:06:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:05:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 06:04:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:02:07 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Forge10
[Today at 06:00:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:00:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Sheffield Wednesday Saltiness  (Read 18052 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: The Sheffield Wednesday Saltiness
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »
Wednesday fans are generally decent in my experience  (I lived there for 3 years as a student in the early 80s, though they were in Division 2 then)) and they are genuinely one of life's ill-fated clubs. One of my closest mates is an Owl so I get it from him and his brother just how painful life can be. He is 50 and in that time has seen one League cup win v Man U around 1991. Incidentally, he blames their manager for not making any substitutions on Saturday when we got back in the game, something nobody else has picked up on.

They are worse than us for messing things up. 2-0 up in a cup final around 1966 and lost 3-2 to Everton; lost both the League cup and FA cup to Arsenal in 1993, the latter in the last minute of extra time in the replay. They were leading 3-0 v Wolves in a penalty shoot out and somehow contrived to lose. If ever somebody asks me a question like "which team  lost x or y despite leading 7-0 at half time" I always guess Wednesday.

Historically they are a big club but have done nothing to show it for decades. The closest they came was in the early 90s and Big Ron leaving for us screwed any chance of that being a platform for growth, although Tricky Trev steered that same team to top 6 finishes for a year or two.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
They were getting really wound up next to us in the lower tier left hand side. One guys face was so red I thought his head was going to explode. Quite funny seeing men in their 50's covering their faces with scarves, it was chilly though to be fair.

This again demonstrates what complete airheads they are. He stood in the area of the ground where the highest potential for trouble would break out was. Cameras would have been trained on this area for the entire game and especially towards the end when they all began acting tough with two walls, a fence and a line of police between them and the away fans.

For 89 minutes, his face would have been visible. Does he not realise that there is little point covering up after exposing yourself to cameras for an hour and a half?

I thought our fans in the Lower North were antagonistic but at least they don't go "masking up" and gesticulating to the other set of fans to go outside (something that everyone in the ground will ultimately do)

Now here's a teaser - What do you do on 90 minutes when offered to go outside? Tell your mates that you'll meet them back at the car because you're just nipping outside to have a straightener with a complete stranger or do you stay inside the ground and watch Snoddy score in the 93rd minute?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »
I'm loving this.

It's a proper ego massage. But clubs and their big time players getting all the decisions boo hoo.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
This is the one thing I don't like about this league. I have found us being down here a breath of fresh air at times. Winning games and some proper competition. But I have had an absolute bellyful of piss ant clubs acting as though they have magically arrived at the same level as us just because we got mismanaged into the same league as them.

These are just the latest in a long line of them. It's like the carrot munching wasters from Bristol getting snotty because we took the piss when sticking five on them. Or their whining about not being able to understand why Kodjia might just prefer to play for us than them. Or Norwich confusing a couple of seasons in the top flight with them being some sort of footballing powerhouse.

Pointless, poxy,  howling at the moon, peasants.

Offline shirley_villan

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
They were getting really wound up next to us in the lower tier left hand side. One guys face was so red I thought his head was going to explode. Quite funny seeing men in their 50's covering their faces with scarves, it was chilly though to be fair.

I was sat right next to them at the front last year. There was one bloke in their section who must be the biggest dickhead I've seen in a football ground...I was surprised their stewards didn't chuck him out. Probably the same bloke.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
I've looked at their gripes:

1. Our first goal, they claim Snoddy wasn't fouled for the free kick that led to it. Yes he was - It clearly shows him being pulled back. They then claim that Terry was offside. No he wasn't, you see him running with the defender to his right in front of him (not sure if they know they you only become offside once the ball is played, not before)

2. They should have had a penalty in the first half. This is the only close or debatable decision. I've watched it several times and still cannot make my mind up. There was definitely no trip as they claim but possibly a clash of legs. The ref was right on top of it and none of their players appealed for it bar the one who went down (which suggests that he was looking for it).

3. The ball crossed the line for the goalmouth scramble in the second half. Yeah right - Is the goal line technology corrupt as well?

4. The ball went out when Snoddy ran with it, leading to the corner for Connor's goal. TV clearly shows that it didn't.

5. It wasn't a penalty - The most silly claim of all and deserves no explanation.

None of their players, staff or manager have complained about the ref, nor their media or press - The only people complaining are a bunch of head the balls on the internet.

I suppose they are salty about the NFL style hit that led to a penalty at the end too?  It's almost like they don't know the rules to the game.  I'm an American that's followed "soccer" for all of about a decade.  I'm probably as ignorant as it comes, yet it seems I know more about the rules than their fans do.  The ball has to completely cross a boundary line for it to count, it's not a foul if the defender gets to the ball first, and off-sides only applies to where he was before the pass was made.  Do they not know this? 

By the way, please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

I will.  I know you put it in " ", however there is no excuse for using the term soccer.
I'm sure I read somewhere that it was us ( English & Scottish FA) that originally coined the the phrase "soccer" due to Rugby Football already being an established sport.

It's from the "association" bit of "association football".

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2018, 06:36:25 PM »

Bitter bitter bastards  ;D

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2018, 06:45:08 PM »
All this talk about the number of fouls - somebody should point out to the gobshites that we only committed 5 in the match against SHA, a derby match against our most bitter rivals!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »
Sheffield isn't real Yorkshire is it ?  It's sort of North Derbyshire.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2018, 06:54:49 PM »

Yeah I know. Fucking hilarious isn't it?

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »
It's not one of the ridings. Admittedly, I've never been 100% sure what that actually means.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
Sorry, meant to quote this one.

Sheffield isn't real Yorkshire is it ?  It's sort of North Derbyshire.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
It's not one of the ridings. Admittedly, I've never been 100% sure what that actually means.

Riding means a third. East, West (where lives this exiled Brummie) and North. The South doesn't exist so we can ignore Sheffield.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
File along with Alan Brazil.

2-4. Three points. See you in the cups maybe! Tararabit!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »

Riding means a third. East, West (where lives this exiled Brummie) and North. The South doesn't exist so we can ignore Sheffield.

Can't they just say "bit" like fucking normal people?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal