collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 120642 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #375 on: June 29, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »
A few light years away from the county scene, I have got to captain my club's 3 XI on Saturday as the usual captain is away.  I have only just returned to playing after a gap of about 20 years, so any advice on fielding restrictions (it's a 50 over game) and some basic fielding positions would be much appreciated.  I do want to give a the idea that I vaguely know what I'm doing!!

The fielding restrictions are probably league specific so I’d recommend checking with the league management/hierarchy.

I’d start with a slip, long leg, a couple on the edge of the ring on both sides who walk in as the bowler runs in; a sweeper on the deep cover boundary, mid on and mid off. Be prepared to change your field to block a batsman’s stock stroke and try and make it look natural and not like you’re following the ball with your field changes. Good luck!

How did you get on Tom?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #376 on: July 04, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
Tonight's Bears' game at Trent Bridge in the T20 Blast is being shown on Sky.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
Watching the Bears opening bowler Brookes an 18 year old for the first time. The caption said medium pace bowler, well at 88mph he's quicker than medium and gets a wicket maiden first over.

You Bears.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
Watching the Bears opening bowler Brookes an 18 year old for the first time. The caption said medium pace bowler, well at 88mph he's quicker than medium and gets a wicket maiden first over.

You Bears.

I really like Brookes, I reckon he'll be over 90mph in a year or 2 and will be an England player not long after, he's handy with the bat as well.

Online paul_e

« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
The slow bal lto Ish Sodhi just was briliant, changed his shot twice.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2018, 07:47:21 PM »

You Bears.

I really like Brookes, I reckon he'll be over 90mph in a year or 2 and will be an England player not long after, he's handy with the bat as well.

In four overs of 20/20 he bowled 15 dot balls, changing his pace from the mid to high 80's to around 65mph. Bamboozled the batsman.

Online paul_e

« Reply #381 on: July 04, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »

You Bears.

In four overs of 20/20 he bowled 15 dot balls, changing his pace from the mid to high 80's to around 65mph. Bamboozled the batsman.

Yep, as I posted, the slow ball bouncer to Sodhi was great, completely did him, yes they scrambled a single but that's a massive moral victory in the 19th over against an experienced international.

Online paul_e

« Reply #382 on: July 04, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »
So far this is a fantastic partnership from Bell and Hain, should be enough to take the Bears over the line from here, especially with Elliott and the Big Man to come in next.

Hain has developed into a particularly impressive player in the shorter formats, if anyone has missed it for the Lions he's now on 3 centuries in 8 innings with an average of 115 and his List A average is over 68. I've said it before but England are going to have to add him to the group because his form demands inclusion, and it's not a flash in the pan, it's over a year of consistent excellence now.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #383 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:25 PM »
Great win for the Bears. Bell is back to his best and we’ve got a solid looking squad there, even with OHD in it!

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #384 on: July 04, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »
So far this is a fantastic partnership from Bell and Hain, should be enough to take the Bears over the line from here, especially with Elliott and the Big Man to come in next.

Hain has developed into a particularly impressive player in the shorter formats, if anyone has missed it for the Lions he's now on 3 centuries in 8 innings with an average of 115 and his List A average is over 68. I've said it before but England are going to have to add him to the group because his form demands inclusion, and it's not a flash in the pan, it's over a year of consistent excellence now.

This is so true.  He has to be included. If he played for Surrey he would have a 100 caps by now

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #385 on: July 04, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
Watching Ian Bell in that kind of form is one of my favourite sporting things.  Good start by the Bears and should be an interesting campaign to follow.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #386 on: July 04, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »
A few light years away from the county scene, I have got to captain my club's 3 XI on Saturday as the usual captain is away.  I have only just returned to playing after a gap of about 20 years, so any advice on fielding restrictions (it's a 50 over game) and some basic fielding positions would be much appreciated.  I do want to give a the idea that I vaguely know what I'm doing!!

The fielding restrictions are probably league specific so I’d recommend checking with the league management/hierarchy.

I’d start with a slip, long leg, a couple on the edge of the ring on both sides who walk in as the bowler runs in; a sweeper on the deep cover boundary, mid on and mid off. Be prepared to change your field to block a batsman’s stock stroke and try and make it look natural and not like you’re following the ball with your field changes. Good luck!

How did you get on Tom?

Got on OK thanks mate and we did win so not a bad start!!  Found it quite hard to keep track of the bowling changes and fielding positions and didn't realise there was so much other stuff to sort out off the pitch.  Certainly enjoyed my post match beer after it!!

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #387 on: July 04, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »

How did you get on Tom?

Got on OK thanks mate and we did win so not a bad start!!  Found it quite hard to keep track of the bowling changes and fielding positions and didn't realise there was so much other stuff to sort out off the pitch.  Certainly enjoyed my post match beer after it!!

Glad it went well.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #388 on: July 04, 2018, 11:16:59 PM »
You Bears! Totally outplayed Notts tonight. Brookes, Bell and Hain all excellent. Giles has built an exciting young team with a few older heads to guide them along.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #389 on: July 05, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
Brookes is a brilliant prospect, he has it all. He'll be hurling them down at 90mph plus before the season ends.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal