collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:08:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Forge10
[Today at 06:07:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:06:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:05:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 06:04:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:02:07 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Forge10
[Today at 06:00:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:00:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Disrespecting the cups  (Read 15584 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Disrespecting the cups
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
Cause and effect? Would we have lost yesterday if we'd beaten Peterborough? Or did we win because we were humiliated again? Or impossible to know?

We might have struggled to win yesterday if we'd have the runaround from Leicester on the previous Saturday I'd tentatively suggest.

Extra rest compared to Sheffield.

They had most of the possession and all of the best chances. They looked sharper and fitter than us for most of the game. That they played an FA Cup a couple days prior had zero affect on their energy levels. We won it with a piece of magic. They could have won it much earlier had Sam Johnstone not decided to become Gordon Banks.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
Cause and effect? Would we have lost yesterday if we'd beaten Peterborough? Or did we win because we were humiliated again? Or impossible to know?

We might have struggled to win yesterday if we'd have the runaround from Leicester on the previous Saturday I'd tentatively suggest.

Extra rest compared to Sheffield.

They had most of the possession and all of the best chances. They looked sharper and fitter than us for most of the game. That they played an FA Cup a couple days prior had zero affect on their energy levels. We won it with a piece of magic. They could have won it much earlier had Sam Johnstone not decided to become Gordon Banks.
It's all conjecture either way.  I'm happy enough that we're concentrating on the league for the remainder of the season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
They looked better first half, but second half there wasn't much in it and the only period of pressure they had was when Snodders went down injured and after we'd scored.

Most of the Sheffield United side against us didn't play against Preston anyway.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
So we have no idea whether winning or losing a cup tie makes a blind bit of difference to your league results. Who'd have thought it? Mind you, if someone out there does know there is a cause and effect maybe we shouldn't enter cup competitions and we certainly shouldn't charge to watch them.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »
So we have no idea whether winning or losing a cup tie makes a blind bit of difference to your league results. Who'd have thought it? Mind you, if someone out there does know there is a cause and effect maybe we shouldn't enter cup competitions and we certainly shouldn't charge to watch them.
No, but we do know managers throughout the land complain of fixture congestion and it's impact on overall performance in a  busy season.

So whilst you can't draw a conclusion from a single game, it doesn't take a huge leap to believe a long cup run could be counter productive.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
Bristol City barely won a game between their two Manchester cup ties.

Just to reiterate I was disappointed we lost but surprised at all the wailing on here, people on here demanding Bruce get sacked for that game alone, threads specifically being created of how low as a club we've sunk etc.

Most of the past 60 years we've been going out at 3rd or 4th round season so it was nothing new.

Call me odd but usually teams have a better chance of winning the FA cup when they're finishing top 6 in the premier league.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
The team selected was easily good enough to win. The players selected let themselves down that day. But it's water udner the bridge and I'm enjoying the league wins too much to give it another thought.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »
I was disappointed that we went out so early. It may well do us good in the long run this season but I still wish we were in it.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
I feel that this is going to be a never-ending loop of cup disrespect. We go up and we will need to 'cement' our lowly status in the Sky Wanky League, we stay down we will need to 'prioritise' our next promotion 'challenge'. Unless Tony comes up with the billions so that we can become an obnoxious marketing tool like Citeh. :-(

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
I feel that this is going to be a never-ending loop of cup disrespect. We go up and we will need to 'cement' our lowly status in the Sky Wanky League, we stay down we will need to 'prioritise' our next promotion 'challenge'. Unless Tony comes up with the billions so that we can become an obnoxious marketing tool like Citeh. :-(

Not at all. How long it takes I couldn't predict but when you establish yourselves in the top half of the premier league both cups should be a serious priority to win as you then have a decent team.

We obviously should've won something in the MON years as we had good teams then. Apart from his last season our other seasons were underwhelming in the cups and of course Moscow goes into its own separate thread, far worse than what SB did.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
When we establish ourselves where? 😲

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
When we establish ourselves where? 😲

I've recently started following Strasbourg. Great story. Reasonably sized and supported French club but they had terrible financial issues and went down to the French minor leagues I think?

Two promotions later they're back in the top division and are doing alright, clear of relegation and looking to get back in the top half.

Doubt their fans care too much that they wouldn't be able to challenge PSG or Marseille for the next decade.

More about geting some respect and achievement back into the club which we are slowly doing.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
I think we've just been shit in the FA Cup for about three generations, simple as that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
Just about every club gives the same priority to cups as we do now but it's only us who seem to take it personally.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
Look, I'm from Birmingham, I'm a misery guts, that's all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal