collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 145294 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #930 on: August 15, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
A line needs to be drawn under this. I hope the ECB don't clobber him with another suspension. Apparently it might take them a couple of months to decide! Ridiculous, this has already gone on for 11 months. Time to move on....

I'd agree, with the criminal hearing done and him having been, effectively, suspended for the winter by England I think any further punishment would be too much.

I'd maybe agree with this had Stokes shown any contrition for his appaling behavior.

It still appears as though stokes thinks he's done nothing wrong

I don't see how that matters.  England decided to bring him back into the squad before the hearing, to now ban him again after he's been found not guilty feels a lot like they're deciding that was the wrong decision. If they were considering it he shouldn't have been selected again until after the trial.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #931 on: August 15, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »
The official line was that he wasn’t banned from the Ashes squad, he just wasn’t selected. It’s as good as a ban especially as he was recalled as soon as the charges were confirmed.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #932 on: August 15, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
The official line was that he wasn’t banned from the Ashes squad, he just wasn’t selected. It’s as good as a ban especially as he was recalled as soon as the charges were confirmed.

I know, but by recalling him they showed they supported him, in my opinion.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #933 on: August 16, 2018, 12:10:21 AM »
A line needs to be drawn under this. I hope the ECB don't clobber him with another suspension. Apparently it might take them a couple of months to decide! Ridiculous, this has already gone on for 11 months. Time to move on....

I'd agree, with the criminal hearing done and him having been, effectively, suspended for the winter by England I think any further punishment would be too much.

I'd maybe agree with this had Stokes shown any contrition for his appaling behavior.

It still appears as though stokes thinks he's done nothing wrong

I don't see how that matters.  England decided to bring him back into the squad before the hearing, to now ban him again after he's been found not guilty feels a lot like they're deciding that was the wrong decision. If they were considering it he shouldn't have been selected again until after the trial.

Disagree with that. A ban from wouldn't be disagreeing with a not guilty verdict, but an indication that regardless of a courts finding, Stokes and indeed Hales behaviour was appalling and not befitting someone who represents their countrry.

I do think there needs to be some further punishment. There was plenty of new information about the actions of Stokes that came out during the trial. Things that wouldn't have been known until now and a lot of it reflects poorly. Its an independant disciplinary who will decide anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:13:53 AM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #934 on: August 16, 2018, 08:10:39 AM »
"Swanny" has signed up for Strictly Come Dancing. It's gonna be hilarious, he's brilliant and the best one on TMS.*

*He's not is he? He's a twat. And will act an even bigger one Saturday nights in the run up to Christmas.

The c***.

I quite like Swann on TMS when he's talking cricket. It's the comedy voices that get me

Online tomd2103

« Reply #935 on: August 17, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »

I do as well Paul, although the whole scenario still doesn't sit well with me.  He has been found not guilty (still not quite sure how) and it is time to move on. 

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #936 on: August 17, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
Can't say I agree with dropping Edgbaston MOTM Curran to bring Stokes back in.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #937 on: August 17, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »

It's a scandalous decision, Stokes will get his chance soon enough via injuries or lack of form affecting other players but the message it sends to young cricketers is awful. Depressingly reminiscent of the England football squad of old, all about the name, nothing to do with playing the game.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #938 on: August 17, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »

If he is selected then it is a choice between Curran or Woakes who will go out and it would be harsh to drop either to be honest.   

Edit - just seen that Curran has been dropped.   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:54:56 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #939 on: August 17, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »
Harsh call on Curran that.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #940 on: August 17, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »
Terrible decision, work hard to get yourself in the team, play well with both bat and ball and don't behave like a dick and then dropped.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #941 on: August 17, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
In defence of the decision I think it's reasonable to use Curran a little sporadically for the next year or 2 because whilst he has done very well he is still very young.  Curran, Stokes and Woakes have all been excellent over the 2 tests (as has Jimmy).  Broad is the one who should be a little worried, after the first innings he had 3 for 120 in a series that should've been perfect conditions for him.  His 2nd innings at Lords will have helped him but I think it's getting to the point where those spells won't be enough if the others keep bringing this level of performance.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #942 on: August 17, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »
In defence of the decision I think it's reasonable to use Curran a little sporadically for the next year or 2 because whilst he has done very well he is still very young.  Curran, Stokes and Woakes have all been excellent over the 2 tests (as has Jimmy).  Broad is the one who should be a little worried, after the first innings he had 3 for 120 in a series that should've been perfect conditions for him.  His 2nd innings at Lords will have helped him but I think it's getting to the point where those spells won't be enough if the others keep bringing this level of performance.

Why should Broad be worried? He's in the bloody squad.

Curran has played well, handled himself well and Stokes behaved like a twat. Why should Curran be dropped on current form?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »

Why should Broad be worried? He's in the bloody squad.

Curran has played well, handled himself well and Stokes behaved like a twat. Why should Curran be dropped on current form?

I know he's in the fucking squad, but I think he should be looking over his shoulder because his place will be under threat if he carries on with hias feast or famine form from the last couple of years. This isn't a controversial opinion, almost every discussion about English Cricket for the last few months has inculded comments about Broad (and Cook) hanging on by their fingertips by putting in a good display whenever the talk of dropping them gathers pace.  If we've got Jimmy, Woakes, Stokes and Curran all in form (as is the case right now) then Broads place looks harder to justify.

As for Curran, he's very young and playing him for the entire test series probably isn't in his own best interests so if this is just a case of resting him then I don't have a problem with it. Stokes did behave like a twat, no one is denying that, but once they decided to make him available for selection the option to drop him because of it goes away and the decision is purely on performance. On that measure Stokes didn't deserve to be dropped either, and nor does Woakes. I'm not saying the decision is right or wrong but I can understand it.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #944 on: August 17, 2018, 04:27:48 PM »
To be honest, at 2-0 up in the series, there's a part of me which wonders if we shouldn't have dropped Jennings and just gone with all the all-rounders. I know the team would look absurdly bottom-heavy, but hey, I can't be the only one who feels more confident when Curran, Woakes or Stokes walks to the crease than when Jennings does.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal