collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:58:36 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:51:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 145244 times)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #900 on: August 12, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Chris Woakes MOM.

Only the 5th player ever to be on all 3 boards at Lords.

Well done that man.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #901 on: August 12, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »
Thorough thrashing.

Anderson in particular continues to amaze. How he can still be so utterly unplayable (when the ball moves even a small amount) at his age is astounding.

I'm guessing there will be big questions for the ECB to answer regarding Stokes, whichever way his trial ultimately goes.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #902 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Woakes did well to get MOTM ahead of Rashid.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #903 on: August 12, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
TMS reckoned only 2 other examples where a non-injured player neither batted nor bowled in a completed match. Good money I reckon !!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #904 on: August 12, 2018, 10:49:46 PM »
Not playing any red ball cricket this season certainly came in handy for this Test, perfect preparation!

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #905 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:22 AM »
TMS reckoned only 2 other examples where a non-injured player neither batted nor bowled in a completed match. Good money I reckon !!

Would be interesting to know how many times Rashid touched the ball in the field! Not his fault in fairness. In the conditions we had to bowl in you'll never ever need to use your spinner

Online tomd2103

« Reply #906 on: August 13, 2018, 01:25:09 AM »

Rashid got a TFC (Thanks For Coming)!!   The Indians have been poor in their last couple of test series here and they look like they could be worse this time around.  Kohli apart, they look utterly clueless against swing bowling in these conditions and look like a beaten side already.

Interesting dilemma for a England if Stokes is available next weekend.  They could put the decision off by saying it's been a tough time for him and it's best if he sits this one out etc. and then see how the others do. Rob Key on the Debate show was saying that Curran would be the one to make way, but that does seem a but harsh. 

He also said that Bairstow should relinquish the gloves and bat at four with Pope moving to five. I found myself wondering over the weekend if a Bairstow could even go one higher to three and a Root return to his favoured position at four. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #907 on: August 13, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »

Rashid got a TFC (Thanks For Coming)!!   The Indians have been poor in their last couple of test series here and they look like they could be worse this time around.  Kohli apart, they look utterly clueless against swing bowling in these conditions and look like a beaten side already.

Interesting dilemma for a England if Stokes is available next weekend.  They could put the decision off by saying it's been a tough time for him and it's best if he sits this one out etc. and then see how the others do. Rob Key on the Debate show was saying that Curran would be the one to make way, but that does seem a but harsh. 

He also said that Bairstow should relinquish the gloves and bat at four with Pope moving to five. I found myself wondering over the weekend if a Bairstow could even go one higher to three and a Root return to his favoured position at four. 

I'd be tempted to go even further and ask him to open. I like the idea of a really aggressive opening batsman who forces the opposition to be a little bit more defensive with the new ball. Then you have a traditional opener at 3 as your fall back.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #908 on: August 13, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »
lol....as kidz wud sez

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #909 on: August 13, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »

I'd be tempted to go even further and ask him to open. I like the idea of a really aggressive opening batsman who forces the opposition to be a little bit more defensive with the new ball. Then you have a traditional opener at 3 as your fall back.

That's not a bad idea actually.  Jennings hasn't really set the world alight since coming back in, so if Stokes is back, drop Jennings then move Bairstow up the order.  It would be harsh on Curran to drop him, as he batted well and bowled decently, including a truly great delivery for his wicket.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #910 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
We've got a problem with the number of left-handers in the batting line-up. Bairstow would even up the openers but then we could end up with a run of left handers.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #911 on: August 13, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
We've got a problem with the number of left-handers in the batting line-up. Bairstow would even up the openers but then we could end up with a run of left handers.

I think Gubbins would be the next cab off the rank in terms of opener or at number 3, but he again is left handed.  I think we will have probably have to persist with Jennings for the remainder of this series and over the winter, but he seems to be struggling again.  I agree with the point made by Rob Key about Bairstow relinquishing the gloves and batting higher up the order, and would like to see him and Root in either order at three and four.  Pope should probably be given a run in the side at five, with Stokes at six and Buttler or another keeper at seven.  I suppose you could even have Stokes at five with Pope at six, which is where he bats for Surrey.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #912 on: August 14, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »
Stokes has been found not guilty.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #913 on: August 14, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
Stokes has been found not guilty.

We're the prosecution over-reaching with the charge of 'affray' ?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #914 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »
Wealthy person with good solicitor found not guilty shock.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal