collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:41:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 04:40:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 04:40:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by bilsim
[Today at 04:40:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:38:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:38:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 145145 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #285 on: March 26, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
I'm not sure there's much we can do with the senior players. The idea of ripping it all up and starting again misses the fact that there have been plenty of players who've been brought in and failed in the last 2-3 years, we just don't have young players with the technique or mentality to handle test cricket right now.

I'd start with the coaching structure (both at international level but also getting England coaches into the counties and working with younger players earlier) and then we just limp along for a couple of years because I think it's the only option right now.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
The Sydney Morning Herald seems to have identified Warner as a key member of the Aussie team in the ball tampering row with the headline  "Players turn on David Warner as ball-tampering crisis rips team apart" could get a bit more interesting if what the Aussie papers are saying about fall outs within the team are true.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
I'm not sure there's much we can do with the senior players. The idea of ripping it all up and starting again misses the fact that there have been plenty of players who've been brought in and failed in the last 2-3 years, we just don't have young players with the technique or mentality to handle test cricket right now.

I'd start with the coaching structure (both at international level but also getting England coaches into the counties and working with younger players earlier) and then we just limp along for a couple of years because I think it's the only option right now.

I just think it needs freshening up Paul and it is interesting to see the team spirit and enthusiasm shown by the one day sides that don't contain the likes of Cook, Broad and Anderson.  Out of those three, Anderson is the only one I would keep for now, I would persist with Stoneman and Malan in the short term, I would look at a different spinning option and would play Foakes and let Bairstow concentrate on his batting.  The side going forward would be something like:

New opener, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, Wood, spinner (maybe Leach), Anderson

Online paul_e

« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »

I just think it needs freshening up Paul and it is interesting to see the team spirit and enthusiasm shown by the one day sides that don't contain the likes of Cook, Broad and Anderson.  Out of those three, Anderson is the only one I would keep for now, I would persist with Stoneman and Malan in the short term, I would look at a different spinning option and would play Foakes and let Bairstow concentrate on his batting.  The side going forward would be something like:

New opener, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, Wood, spinner (maybe Leach), Anderson

That might not be a bad call, I've said the same about Broad in the past and I think it's becoming clear that Cook isn't mentally up for it anymore (he's a bit like Bell was in his last year or 2).  My worry would be Stoneman is still very raw and you don't want to 'green' players at the top.  If we bring Foakes in Bairstow at the top might be the best option.  After that I'd be tempted to keep Ali for the summer, lets not forget that he did a very good job against SA last summer.  He'd frustrating because he doesn't tour well but I'm not sure we should be getting rid of him just yet.

Online paul_e

« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »
Just to build on that:

At home Ali averages 33 with the ball and 38 with the bat, that's very good all-rounder figures.

Away he averages 52 with the ball and 25 with the bat, which is pretty poor.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2018, 06:13:11 PM »
I imagine Woakes is fairly similar. Both him and Ali have been passengers away from home.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »
Apparently Lehmann was not involved, so when Smith said the leadership group knew, I take it Lehmann isn't part of the leadership group. I smell bullshit.

Australia captain Steve Smith, vice-captain David Warner and batsman Cameron Bancroft will be sent home from South Africa for ball-tampering in the third Test in Cape Town.

However, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland says head coach Darren Lehmann was not involved in the controversy and will remain in his post.

Sutherland added that the sanctions to be handed down to Smith, Warner and Bancroft within the next 24 hours will be "significant".

He said: "It is not in the spirit of the game. It is not a good day for Australian cricket."
Wicketkeeper Tim Paine has been named as captain for the rest of the series.

Matthew Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns have been called up as replacements and will fly out to South Africa for the fourth Test, which begins in Johannesburg on Friday.

Sutherland told a news conference: "I share the anger and disappointment of Australian fans and the broader Australian community about events that unfolded in Cape Town on Saturday.

"On behalf of Cricket Australia, I want to apologise to all Australians that these events have taken place, especially to all kids who love cricket and idolise the players.

"I want to also apologise to Cricket South Africa and South African fans that this issue has overshadowed what should have been a great series.

"We recognise this issue goes beyond the technical nature of offences and various codes of conduct. It is about whether Australians can feel proud of their national sport teams.

"While the investigation is not complete, preliminary findings have been discussed by Cricket Australia's board."

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »
"The Leadership Group" is just Smith and Warner, then?

Absolute bollocks.

If Lehmann stays on and only three players suffer any punishment then the whole thing is a farce.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
If the head coach is not part of the leadership group and/or doesn't know what it's plotting, he should be sacked simply for being ineffectual in his role.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
I can't say I'm massively convinced that they tampered with the ball to benefit their bowlers, and not a single bowler knew about it.

Offline steamer

« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »
From an S.A perspective, you have to say that the Aussie Cricket Board did what they had to do based on the info they had in a very quick time.
I think they deserve credit for it.
It is not the end, and they said that investigations will continue.
Possible that Lehman was unaware of the scheme.
But you are a fast bowler, you bowl a few overs, the ball comes back to you after a bit of " attention" from the fielder. all of a sudden it starts to swing.
It does not feel or look different Hmmm
Anyway based on the Aussie Board initial response I do not believe there will be any cover up.
Roll on the wanderers on Friday
The sad thing is the series will be remembered for the Cheating and not (if we win or draw over the weekend) that S.A were the better team and that the reason they cheated was because they were losing and wanted to change the result.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
It's very obvious they've done it before as well.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2018, 10:27:06 PM »
I think it inconceivable that Lehmann wasn’t involved, but suspect that they’ve allowed him to remain in place until the end of the tour, then allow him to resign.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
Lehman on a walkie talkie to the 12th man who goes on to have a chat with Bancroft which results in the tape disappearing into his pants seems very incriminating.However,the Sydney Morning Herald is leading with the story that the rest of the team have turned on Warner and that it was Warner and Bancroft having a discussion and Warner getting Smith to agree.Bancroft had been the designated polisher of the ball for the test so the bowlers wouldn't have to be in the know.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2018, 01:23:04 AM »

That might not be a bad call, I've said the same about Broad in the past and I think it's becoming clear that Cook isn't mentally up for it anymore (he's a bit like Bell was in his last year or 2).  My worry would be Stoneman is still very raw and you don't want to 'green' players at the top.  If we bring Foakes in Bairstow at the top might be the best option.  After that I'd be tempted to keep Ali for the summer, lets not forget that he did a very good job against SA last summer.  He'd frustrating because he doesn't tour well but I'm not sure we should be getting rid of him just yet.

I'm torn a bit on Ali as he has made some very important contributions with both bat and ball over the past few years.  I do think we need to look at some of the other spin options though, but that doesn't necessarily mean Ali needs to be dropped.  Having Stokes and Woakes in the side still leaves room for Ali and another spinner if Bairstow keeps wicket. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal