collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by paul_e
[Today at 02:15:18 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smithy
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by 260475
[Today at 02:06:45 PM]

Snooker by Rich6by7
[Today at 02:03:43 PM]

Special flights to final by Holte L2
[Today at 02:02:56 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:01:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 01:59:15 PM]

Last few games by eamonn
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time to Rebuild?  (Read 21754 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: Time to Rebuild?
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
When we say rebuild, there really isn't much choice unless Dean Smith starts handing contract extensions out like confetti.  Hutton, Bunn, Elphick, Richards, Jedinak, Whelan, Gardner all at the end of their contract in July.  Tammy, Moriera, Bolasie, El Ghazi and Tuanzebe all ending their loans.  A whole team leaving at the end of the season.  Tshibola, McCormack and Lansbury are likely to be out come what may.  Not much choice but to rebuild!  Mr Pitarch needs to get busy.  Be a lot of money saved on salary there too I would imagine.

Nyland (I won't give up on him just yet), Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Chester, Kodjia, Hogan, Taylor, Bree, Adomah, Davis, all remain.  Defensive overhaul.

I think we are probably going to look at moving out some of those in bold in January to try and get a bit of money for them.  It is going to be a big rebuilding job and may take some time. 

looks like we could be in for a bumper windfall in January then !!

I doubt it!!  I'm guessing that we would only realistically get any money for  Elphick, Jedinak and Gardner if they were to move in January.

I'm sure the wage bill will breathe a sigh of relief though!

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
Richards and a transfer fee is the biggest non sequitur ever - a carmelite nun has seen more action in the last three years.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
We need to sign a Dennis Mortimer.If only

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
Yes we need to rebuild with youngsters like RHM, CH, AG and ES in the spine of the team combined with JG, JM, JB, KD etc. I was really impressed with the young Derby players the other night.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:51:02 PM by olaftab »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Yes we need to rebuild with youngsters like RHM, CH, AG and ES in the spine of the team combined with JG, JM, JB, KD etc. I was really impressed with the young Derby players the other night.

He mentioned in his press conference that we have the third oldest squad in the league having come from the youngest. I would hope our average age in the next 12-18 months gets a lot lower.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »
Dean will at least have scope to mould the midfield into his style next summer, Whelan and Jedinak both high earners here and both out of contract so that will give him scope in that part of the squad at least.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »
We may just have to put up with a sows ear this year in order to get most of the clear out done and properly start afresh in the summer. When will it end?

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2018, 01:19:55 AM »
Patience is the key. DS is the way forward, some of our squad aren't
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:55:19 AM by West Derby Villan »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2018, 07:31:44 AM »
You don't know that though. We could win the next eight (statistically unlikely) or we could lose a few and draw a few etc. I want Dean to succeed as much as you do, but I can't say incontestably that he will.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2018, 08:17:06 AM »
I see the mid term problem for D'S being unable, due entirely to factors out of his control, to rebuild quickly enough to avoid him being criticised for failing to deliver.  Another Remi Garde for whom time runs out too soon.  Of course Dean will get more than three months and zero transfers but the principle is the same.  Looking at us struggle against Norwich and QPR drives home the realization of how far and how fast we have fallen since Randy Lerner jumped in his jet to go and fetch TSM1.

Dean's demeanor after the game last night tells you that he now realizes the magnitude of the task he faces.  Two seasons of rebuilding at the least.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
throw me something to cling onto Brian, I'm at breaking point with this shitshower at the moment.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
Mr U,  based on what I have experienced at VP since 1946 including everything from relegation into the 3rd Divison to Rotterdam I promise you we shall rise again.  Of that I have no doubt whatsoever.  What we do have to accept totally is how bad, how inept, how rotten we were when we were relegated.  We did not rebuild, as we now must do, we just threw huge amounts of money at the problem.  In pursuing that policy, as I was saying to Sexual Ealing last night, we became a honey pot for freeloaders, idlers and unprincipled carpet baggers. We all know their names.  They have not yet all gone.

This season is gone because we were totally unprepared for it and the new owners bought into the safe pair of hands stability fiction that Steve Bruce and his predecessors with help of media mates had created.

Dean Smith and the new owners and staff have a huge job on their hands.  Our job is to accept the pain of change because there is no easy way of buying our way back to our rightful place.  But we will get there.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »

Agreed. But are our youngsters good enough

It depresses the hell out of me that our bench has the same old faces. There are no youngsters being given at least some game time

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »
I dont think it’s that bad, a good keeper and good centre half would see this squad challenge. The problem is is that can’t happen until January.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »
I dont think it’s that bad, a good keeper and good centre half would see this squad challenge. The problem is is that can’t happen until January.

Need full backs who are comfortable on the ball and can offer an attacking threat as well. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal