collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 179951 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #915 on: January 24, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »

I remember Mcinally always being injured and yes Cascarino signing tale please.

Bracketed stuff is mine, everything else is Sir Graham's own words.

"Doug suddenly tells me I've got £1 million to spend (which would otherwise have gone in corporation tax). This is what annoyed me; it was three weeks before the transfer deadline and now I've got this money. I'd got this settled group of lads and one or two were starting to show a bit of nerves and I had no forward cover so I went for Teddy Sheringham. I spoke to John Doherty (Millwall manager) and he didn't want to sell Sheringham but he said he might sell Cascarino. I wasn't sure about Tony but we needed forward so I told Doug what the situation was. He spoke to Reg Burr (Millwall chairman), and told me that there was now £1.4 million to spend. There's twelve days left to the deadline, we've got an FA Cup quarter final coming up and now we've got this money to spend.

"Doug goes to Reg Burr, fails to get Sheringham, and asked me what I valued Cascarino at. I said about £750,000 and Doug promptly pays Millwall £1.4 million.... Since then it's always been me who signed Cascarino for that amount. But of course it's him who signed Dwight Yorke."
Cheers Dave, there were rumours at that time about Linekar, any truth in that?

Wouldn't have worked, the bloke couldn't score at Villa Park.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #916 on: January 24, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
Unfortunately many executives are like that. So you position your conversations so that you make your idea into their idea or make them suggest what you actually want. I’ve no doubt Doug was just like that and that all of the great ideas came from him.

Excecutives !   i do that with my Wife

That is what my wife does to me!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #917 on: January 24, 2018, 11:56:48 PM »

"Doug suddenly tells me I've got £1 million to spend (which would otherwise have gone in corporation tax). This is what annoyed me; it was three weeks before the transfer deadline and now I've got this money. I'd got this settled group of lads and one or two were starting to show a bit of nerves and I had no forward cover so I went for Teddy Sheringham. I spoke to John Doherty (Millwall manager) and he didn't want to sell Sheringham but he said he might sell Cascarino. I wasn't sure about Tony but we needed forward so I told Doug what the situation was. He spoke to Reg Burr (Millwall chairman), and told me that there was now £1.4 million to spend. There's twelve days left to the deadline, we've got an FA Cup quarter final coming up and now we've got this money to spend.

"Doug goes to Reg Burr, fails to get Sheringham, and asked me what I valued Cascarino at. I said about £750,000 and Doug promptly pays Millwall £1.4 million.... Since then it's always been me who signed Cascarino for that amount. But of course it's him who signed Dwight Yorke."

See, I don't doubt most of that at all.

But lets say GT couldn't get his first choice (Sheringham)  but values Cantscorino @  750K.    Unless the club is desperate to sell, Millwall will never part with a goalscoring forward (as ludicrous as that seems now)  for market value.  So Herbert might have reckoned at £1 -1.1 million and eventually done a deal at £1.5 million.

It seems excessive now, and seemed even moreso at the time.  When I thought St Paul's Cray's finest was a actually reasonable CF in the traditional style.

But Herbert wasn't known for being lavish.  Maybe it was one of those rare occasions when he backed the manager and to hell with with the consequences. Possibly scenting title success in the nostrils and all the ensuing glory. Perfect two fingers for anyone who reminded him of 1981 and 82. Worth an extra 400k + of anyone's money.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:00:53 AM by KevinGage »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #918 on: January 25, 2018, 12:04:51 AM »

But lets say GT couldn't get his first choice (Sheringham)  but values Cantscorino @  750K.    Unless the club is desperate to sell, Millwall will never part with a goalscoring forward (as ludicrous as that seems now)  for market value.  So Herbert might have reckoned at £1 -1.1 million and eventually done a deal at £1.5 million.

It seems excessive now, and seemed even moreso at the time.  When I thought St Paul's Cray's finest was a actually reasonable CF in the traditional style.

But Herbert wasn't known for being lavish.  Maybe it was one of those rare occasions when he backed the manager and to hell with with the consequences. Possibly scenting title success in the nostrils and all the ensuing glory. Perfect two fingers for anyone who reminded him of 1981 and 82. Worth an extra 400k + of anyone's money.

Every single word of that was told to me by the man himself. The money was either going to be spent, or paid in tax.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #919 on: January 25, 2018, 01:14:35 AM »

Every single word of that was told to me by the man himself. The money was either going to be spent, or paid in tax.

Bill Shankly said the same thing, on several occasions.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #920 on: January 25, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »
A few of the online rags reckon we’ll announce Axel today.

Offline frank black

« Reply #921 on: January 25, 2018, 12:19:39 PM »
Welcome to @AVFCOfficial !
(🏧➖Ⓜ️)! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #922 on: January 25, 2018, 12:34:43 PM »
Has someone gone to Antwerp?

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #923 on: January 25, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »
De Laet on loan

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #924 on: January 25, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »
Ulloja gone to Palace it seems.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #925 on: January 25, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »

Where you seen this ?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #926 on: January 25, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »

Any idea what time is Benteke having his medical at Bodymoor Heath?

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #927 on: January 25, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »
I was a betting man my money would go on us signing Nahki Wells,  he´s a far more mobile and versatile ( than Ulloa) attacking option, IMHO.....Godzvilla!

As I was saying.......  http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/25/pj-would-villa-be-better-off-signing-nahki-wells/    .......Godzvilla!

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #928 on: January 25, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
De Laet on loan

Baffling. he is a good player who can play in several positions who we could well need in the run in. I can understand selling him (I guess), but a loan? Crazy.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #929 on: January 25, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
I don't agree how many times has he actually made our match day squad in the league this season ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal