collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by KevinGage
[Today at 11:52:07 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Clampy
[Today at 11:51:51 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Forge10
[Today at 11:51:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by villa for life
[Today at 11:51:28 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:48:51 PM]

Robin Olsen by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 11:40:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by curiousorange
[Today at 11:38:28 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 11:32:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 179924 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #900 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »

I remember Mcinally always being injured and yes Cascarino signing tale please.

Bracketed stuff is mine, everything else is Sir Graham's own words.

"Doug suddenly tells me I've got £1 million to spend (which would otherwise have gone in corporation tax). This is what annoyed me; it was three weeks before the transfer deadline and now I've got this money. I'd got this settled group of lads and one or two were starting to show a bit of nerves and I had no forward cover so I went for Teddy Sheringham. I spoke to John Doherty (Millwall manager) and he didn't want to sell Sheringham but he said he might sell Cascarino. I wasn't sure about Tony but we needed forward so I told Doug what the situation was. He spoke to Reg Burr (Millwall chairman), and told me that there was now £1.4 million to spend. There's twelve days left to the deadline, we've got an FA Cup quarter final coming up and now we've got this money to spend.

"Doug goes to Reg Burr, fails to get Sheringham, and asked me what I valued Cascarino at. I said about £750,000 and Doug promptly pays Millwall £1.4 million.... Since then it's always been me who signed Cascarino for that amount. But of course it's him who signed Dwight Yorke."

A bit of the SGT autobiography that stood out for me was Doug always asking SGT for the Villa line up prior to each game then, pleased with this knowledge telling other people what it was. So SGT started giving him false information. Eventually Doug sussed what was going on and stopped asking.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #901 on: January 24, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
He also told me that when he fancied signing a player he'd ask Doug what sort of (say) left-backs he thought were any good, then gradually steer the conversation round to the one he wanted. Doug would come up with the name, Sir Graham would reply "Good shout Mr Chairman" and the money would magically materialise for a player Doug would then say he'd suggested. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:57:52 PM by dave.woodhall »

Online tomd2103

« Reply #902 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
I was a betting man my money would go on us signing Nahki Wells,  he´s a far more mobile and versatile ( than Ulloa) attacking option, IMHO.....Godzvilla!

Would be ideal for our current situation. 

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #903 on: January 24, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about selling unwanted players to a promotion rival. We’re nailed on for the play-offs at least, and if we got Leeds in them we’d hopefully insert a clause that they couldn’t play against us. They’re well behind us as well and Fat Ross and Mad Tom might help them get results against Derby etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:03:10 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2018, 03:58:14 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about selling unwanted players to a promotion rival. We’re nailed on for the play-offs at least, and if we got Leeds in them we’d hopefully insert a clause that they couldn’t play against us. They’re well behind us as well and Fat Riss and Mad Tom might help them get results against Derby etc.

I'm not sure you can enforce a no play clause. Even in loan deals I think it tends to be a gentleman's agreement. I don't think i've ever heard of one after a permanent transfer.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about selling unwanted players to a promotion rival. We’re nailed on for the play-offs at least, and if we got Leeds in them we’d hopefully insert a clause that they couldn’t play against us. They’re well behind us as well and Fat Riss and Mad Tom might help them get results against Derby etc.

I'm not sure you can enforce a no play clause. Even in loan deals I think it tends to be a gentleman's agreement. I don't think i've ever heard of one after a permanent transfer.

I thought it might be negotiable. Maybe knock a couple of million off. £7m would be the biggest robbery since we bought the useless fuckers anyway.

Ta for quoting and enshrining my typo. I know me and Risso disagree on Brexit but I’d never call him that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:07:00 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »
According to the Mirror, the Jar-deez are looking to splash the cash on Leicester's Islam Slimani. If so, it could well be that Ulloa doesn't go anywhere for the rest of the season (since they were quoted as saying that they weren't going to lose the services of both players during this transfer window).

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »

"Doug suddenly tells me I've got £1 million to spend (which would otherwise have gone in corporation tax). This is what annoyed me; it was three weeks before the transfer deadline and now I've got this money. I'd got this settled group of lads and one or two were starting to show a bit of nerves and I had no forward cover so I went for Teddy Sheringham. I spoke to John Doherty (Millwall manager) and he didn't want to sell Sheringham but he said he might sell Cascarino. I wasn't sure about Tony but we needed forward so I told Doug what the situation was. He spoke to Reg Burr (Millwall chairman), and told me that there was now £1.4 million to spend. There's twelve days left to the deadline, we've got an FA Cup quarter final coming up and now we've got this money to spend.

"Doug goes to Reg Burr, fails to get Sheringham, and asked me what I valued Cascarino at. I said about £750,000 and Doug promptly pays Millwall £1.4 million.... Since then it's always been me who signed Cascarino for that amount. But of course it's him who signed Dwight Yorke."

A bit of the SGT autobiography that stood out for me was Doug always asking SGT for the Villa line up prior to each game then, pleased with this knowledge telling other people what it was. So SGT started giving him false information. Eventually Doug sussed what was going on and stopped asking.

Gold thanks for insight!

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
He also told me that when he fancied signing a player he'd ask Doug what sort of (say) left-backs he thought were any good, then gradually steer the conversation round to the one he wanted. Doug would come up with the name, Sir Graham would reply "Good shout Mr Chairman" and the money would magically materialise for a player Doug would then say he'd suggested.

More Gold!!
Thanks again.
Do you have anything on other managers and transfer stories. O'Neil, Sherwood or even lambert and his Coutinho bids?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »
Unfortunately many executives are like that. So you position your conversations so that you make your idea into their idea or make them suggest what you actually want. I’ve no doubt Doug was just like that and that all of the great ideas came from him.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #910 on: January 24, 2018, 07:37:03 PM »
Unfortunately many executives are like that. So you position your conversations so that you make your idea into their idea or make them suggest what you actually want. I’ve no doubt Doug was just like that and that all of the great ideas came from him.

Excecutives !   i do that with my Wife

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #911 on: January 24, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »

Excecutives !   i do that with my Wife

She’s a Life Executive John. A senior Marital Leader. And LOL yes it’s exactly the same thing!!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #912 on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »

Cheers Dave, there were rumours at that time about Linekar, any truth in that?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #913 on: January 24, 2018, 09:38:55 PM »

Cheers Dave, there were rumours at that time about Linekar, any truth in that?

I didn't get anything about that one, but from what was said at the time (end of 1988-89 from memory) he would have accounted for about two years' transfer budget. So no McGrath, Nielsen or Adrian Heath.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #914 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »
Has Ritchie de Laet gone to Antwerp?
What? For the weekend? Brugge is better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal