collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Rangers 1976 - reaction  (Read 12363 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Villa v Rangers 1976 - reaction
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »
No he wrote Only Fools and Horses.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
No he wrote Only Fools and Horses.

Not the one I went to school with in the early seventies

Offline steamer

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
I was an apprentice and took the opportunity to earn a few extra pounds by working that saturday as there was no real game on.
No social media then, but the days events were being played out on BRMB
I went into town after work and as class of 82 says, a lot of villa around Hole in the wall and costermonger.
There were a few scores settled in town, as guys who had been on the lash for two days were picked off.
In hindsight a crazy fixture, Doug trying to make a few shekels on an International weekend.
You only have to remember the mayhem at the England Scotland games at Wembley, to imagine what was going to happen, this was Braveheart, Carnival time with everyone invading the land of the sassenachs, for a drunken replay of Bannockburn.
As an aside I think it was Sean (RIP) who was wearing his Celtic shirt and waving at them from the lower Trinity that raised the odds a bit.

Do you mean John Sullivan

I did not realise his name was john, (Sean or Shaun was how i knew him) but his surname was Sullivan.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
I was an apprentice and took the opportunity to earn a few extra pounds by working that saturday as there was no real game on.
No social media then, but the days events were being played out on BRMB
I went into town after work and as class of 82 says, a lot of villa around Hole in the wall and costermonger.
There were a few scores settled in town, as guys who had been on the lash for two days were picked off.
In hindsight a crazy fixture, Doug trying to make a few shekels on an International weekend.
You only have to remember the mayhem at the England Scotland games at Wembley, to imagine what was going to happen, this was Braveheart, Carnival time with everyone invading the land of the sassenachs, for a drunken replay of Bannockburn.
As an aside I think it was Sean (RIP) who was wearing his Celtic shirt and waving at them from the lower Trinity that raised the odds a bit.

Do you mean John Sullivan

I did not realise his name was john, (Sean or Shaun was how i knew him) but his surname was Sullivan.

If it's my mate, I met up with him in an Antwerp pub before the match, tall lanky guy then about seventeen year old ?

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
That's the fellow.His surname was actually O'Sullivan, real first name John but known to everyone, including his family, as Sean.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »
That's the fellow.His surname was actually O'Sullivan, real first name John but known to everyone, including his family, as Sean.

Thanks for the sad confirmation, you're right it was John O'Sullivan. First mate I had at Handsworth Grammar school back in 1969, lost touch over the years but remember him fondly, Holte Ender in the Sky

RIP John/ Sean
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:31:53 PM by West Derby Villan »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »

Thanks for the sad confirmation, you're right it was John O'Sullivan. First mate I had at Handsworth Grammar school back in 1969, lost touch over the years but remember him fondly, Holte Ender in the Sky

RIP John/ Sean

My uncle was at HGS at the same time. I'm also an old boy.

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

RIP John/ Sean

Small world, Sean and I started HGS in 1969

Offline Rory

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »

RIP John/ Sean

You might've just missed my uncle, he started in '65 (I think). I started in 2000.

We're old Edwardians now, of course, the proud HGS name done and dusted.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 02:45:10 PM »
Have to say the Irish League and to be fair, the fans of local teams here have really got their act together in regards to dealing with the sectarianism that has blighted the local game here throughout the decades. It's still there among some moronic fans but it's on its way out. Belfast Rangers fans though are a different breed. I've been among them at Windsor Park and I've taken in an Old Firm match at Ibrox. Never again. I detest generalising, but it's a horrible, horrible club with fans to match. What happened at Villa Park forty years ago should have been consigned to history but Manchester showed it's still in them. Oh, and I've no affinity for Celtic whatsoever.

From what I've witnessed over here, they're chalk and cheese. Celtic have played in Lisbon numerous times over the last 30 years and it's always a friendly atmosphere, lots of drinking, laughing and mixing with the locals. Rangers turned up for the first time a few years ago and you could almost touch the level of hatred among their supporters. It was like their whole existence is based on hate. The banners, the tattoos, the songs, rudeness and shitty attitude to everybody - women included, the need for violence, the most horrible, evil bunch of supporters I've ever seen over here.

Offline Rory

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »
Have to say the Irish League and to be fair, the fans of local teams here have really got their act together in regards to dealing with the sectarianism that has blighted the local game here throughout the decades. It's still there among some moronic fans but it's on its way out. Belfast Rangers fans though are a different breed. I've been among them at Windsor Park and I've taken in an Old Firm match at Ibrox. Never again. I detest generalising, but it's a horrible, horrible club with fans to match. What happened at Villa Park forty years ago should have been consigned to history but Manchester showed it's still in them. Oh, and I've no affinity for Celtic whatsoever.

From what I've witnessed over here, they're chalk and cheese. Celtic have played in Lisbon numerous times over the last 30 years and it's always a friendly atmosphere, lots of drinking, laughing and mixing with the locals. Rangers turned up for the first time a few years ago and you could almost touch the level of hatred among their supporters. It was like their whole existence is based on hate. The banners, the tattoos, the songs, rudeness and shitty attitude to everybody - women included, the need for violence, the most horrible, evil bunch of supporters I've ever seen over here.

When I was in Glasgow I went to look around Ibrox. Lovely ground, full of character, but I had a drinks can thrown at me, people giving me dirty looks and an elderly woman spat at me and called me "fenian scum". I was only there for 15 minutes.

I said nothing to anyone, was wearing nothing to suggest I was from an Irish background or English-born. The locals just seemed to know. I've never been anywhere like it.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2020, 04:04:23 PM »

RIP John/ Sean

You might've just missed my uncle, he started in '65 (I think). I started in 2000.

Another old boy.I started in 74

Offline Rory

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »
Wheyyy. There are now as many old HGS lads on here as there were Villa fans in my form. Nearly all plastics when I was there.

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »

RIP John/ Sean

Another old boy.I started in 74

1974 was the year I left to start work, never went to 6th form

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal