collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 17502 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
Really bad night for noses.
No doubt mildly disappointed to have lost but must be absolutely gutted with our win.

Offline django

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
Amazing what a bit of confidence can do. Feels like the first time we’ve had positive momentum since MON walked out. Players look like they have belief in themselves and each other which massively helps their collective decision making.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »
Fair play to Bruce and the players they got pretty much everything right tonight, including taking Davis off before his spat with the defender got him a second yellow.   We always looked comfortable and could have had more than two.  If we could play like that consistently there's no reason why we can't finish top 2, and the play-offs would be a given. 

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Good performance. We're clicking now. Good all round from everyone. Terry's not my favourite person but he's been rock solid of late. A class apart, and Chester too.

I wanna give props too, to a guy who is still a little maligned. Mr Alan Hutton. He's had his ups and downs it's fair to say in 6 years here. But any time it seems like he's on the scrap heap, managers keep coming back to him. The fact he's in and playing at left back also says a lot. He's not the best player in the world by any stretch but I've a lot of time for Hutts because he's a proper trooper. Model pro and we've had dozens of absolute shysters come and go during his time here. We've seen people waste away and disappear in a cloud of fart, or players just drift off in shame and disappointment. As much as some want to see the back of him, I actually think all told he's been one of the best buys of the last 6 years. That's not to say he's been a huge success. But even in the darker times he's just kept on plugging away. He doesn't hide and he's kept himself in good nick. He might shank crosses into row z but for large periods in his time here he's been treated like our main playmaker (such was the tactical ineptitude of many of our managers). 
He wasn't even the best player today, but he was solid, pleasingly quiet today and got on with his job. Our horrible last season in the top flight he was one of maybe 2-3 players who could look at themselves in the mirror and say they gave enough. I for one don't want to see the back of Hutton. He annoys me sometimes I'll admit, but I love his attitude and he's a credit to the club.

But would you have his babies?
We'd end up with sprogs looking like Sloth from Goonies, but yes...I would have his babies.
That head down charge through the middle towards the end was a thing of beauty.
I do like a Hutton charge. Much like a Reo-Coker charge it can often end in disappointment but during the charge itself, majestic, like a leopard at full pelt chasing a gazelle, there's that moment of promise, that faint hope of an end product. But he keeps going. Lets face it we've had so many players who just disappear in games or go hiding. He goes for it. For better or worse. (In all fairness he's generally solid and dependable).

What a brilliant line " Like a leopard at full pelt chasing a gazelle" made me smile and well done Alan Hutton.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
We looked completely comfortable and dominant. Could have won by more, arguably should have been more clinical in some of the attacking positions we found ourselves in in the second half but didn't need to be. Well done lads.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
Well done lads.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2017, 10:59:34 PM »
I don’t think we will go down this season.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »
Very comfortable, well done lads

Offline russon

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2017, 11:02:08 PM »
Pleasing

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2017, 11:09:45 PM »
Was concerned when I saw the bench but thought we applied ourselves from the start. Onomah and Davis pressing them high up caused them all sort of problems.

All played well but special mentions for :

Terry - the most accomplished CB since God. He does not even break sweat and makes it all look so easy.

Hutton - I'm not his biggest fan but he works his socks off and I think Taylor quite rightly will have to wait.

Whelan - thought he was MOTM tonight. Was involved in every break up of their play in the middle and played simple balls to get possession back

Davis - completely rattled their back line and ensured out attacking moves flowed. Deserved a goal for his efforts.

Really enjoyed the game and felt we looked  in control throughout. Even when they eventually had a spell towards the end it was like we almost let them as we oozed confidence that they would not score

Well done everyone UTV

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »
Was concerned when I saw the bench but thought we applied ourselves from the start. Onomah and Davis pressing them high up caused them all sort of problems.

All played well but special mentions for :

Terry - the most accomplished CB since God. He does not even break sweat and makes it all look so easy.

Hutton - I'm not his biggest fan but he works his socks off and I think Taylor quite rightly will have to wait.

Whelan - thought he was MOTM tonight. Was involved in every break up of their play in the middle and played simple balls to get possession back

Davis - completely rattled their back line and ensured out attacking moves flowed. Deserved a goal for his efforts.

Really enjoyed the game and felt we looked  in control throughout. Even when they eventually had a spell towards the end it was like we almost let them as we oozed confidence that they would not score

Well done everyone UTV

Never mind all that, did you take any of my boozer recommendations. :)

There are good and bad times to play teams in the season. This was a very good time to play PNE (they lost another two defenders to injury in the first half incredibly).

So very good we didn't make a pigs ear of the game and had a very comfortable nights work. After the draw on Sunday I demanded a win tonight so very pleased we delivered.

We are bang on track for top 6 given we can keep clean sheets with ease and have goals throughout the team. Results like tonight will help a challenge for top 2.

Beat Sheff Weds and it will have been an excellent response since the no show at Wolves.

Offline serbentoflight

• The Serpent Of Light
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2017, 11:14:52 PM »
Reset "Bruce out" Thingy? we're enough games in now to have a good basis for looking at where we are and the season ahead?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2017, 11:21:29 PM »
Tonight was the sort of game Newcastle and Brighton were winning last season. Score a couple of early goals and then soak up pressure and see out the game with ease so it's a very good sign.

We looked a million miles away from doing that last season, even winning a game a year ago was an achievement.

Our squad is much stronger aswell. We still have Green and Grealish to come back as creativity options which is exciting.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »
For once in our lives our midfield is full of goals. Once the strikers start chipping in, there'll be no stopping us.
We can't be happy with a play-off place, Bruce has to go balls-out for automatic promotion. There's no one to be scared of.

Wolves taught us a lesson.

Below Wolves there's no one to be scared of.

No one on here could type with a straight face we couldn't catch Sheffield United or Cardiff. Bring it on I say.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2017, 11:41:41 PM »
Only sour note about tonight is Junction 27 to 26 being closed.

Excellent and thoroughly professional away win.

Bit sloppy second half in keeping the ball, but we looked dangerous on the break. Defensively we're excellent.

Davis is a bully. Excellent the way he's developing although they did their best to get him sent off.

We limited them to not a lot at all, with barely two half hearted efforts at goal and a long diagonal ball to their front man.

Could have add a couple more, but still enjoyable to see us boss a game against a side who've had a good start.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal