collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:28:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 17490 times)

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
Re: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »
Didn't want my opinion influenced by others posting, so starting by writing my thoughts.

Finally a game where I want to write my opinion. For a long time I haven't been able to enjoy a Villa game (because being shit) - but today was an awesome performance. Yes some things can be better and some players were not really good - but the whole feeling was just good.

I ENJOYED A GAME!!!

We were massive in defence - Sam Johnston, Chester and Terry - the latter fantastic, the other two awesome. John Terry's "block" at the end just was power.

The game started with Hutton playing like some latino super star, probably his best game for us. Maybe should have had man of the match, but Davis had the best performance overall - yess a talent.

I thought our right side was not very potent going forward with Elmo and Snodd - but still okey. Left side was very very good.

And we started positive! WTF Steve? Well done.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
Lots of pleasing things tonight, eg:

Taking the lead when we were well on top
Not having a crap second half after a very good first half
Good movement off the ball
Not looking like we were going to shit the bed at any point.

I'd almost forgotten what all of that felt like.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:16:07 PM by Risso »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 10:14:33 PM »

Not looking like we were going to shit the bes at any point.

Summed it up perfectly, Risso.

Offline supertom

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »
Good performance. We're clicking now. Good all round from everyone. Terry's not my favourite person but he's been rock solid of late. A class apart, and Chester too.

I wanna give props too, to a guy who is still a little maligned. Mr Alan Hutton. He's had his ups and downs it's fair to say in 6 years here. But any time it seems like he's on the scrap heap, managers keep coming back to him. The fact he's in and playing at left back also says a lot. He's not the best player in the world by any stretch but I've a lot of time for Hutts because he's a proper trooper. Model pro and we've had dozens of absolute shysters come and go during his time here. We've seen people waste away and disappear in a cloud of fart, or players just drift off in shame and disappointment. As much as some want to see the back of him, I actually think all told he's been one of the best buys of the last 6 years. That's not to say he's been a huge success. But even in the darker times he's just kept on plugging away. He doesn't hide and he's kept himself in good nick. He might shank crosses into row z but for large periods in his time here he's been treated like our main playmaker (such was the tactical ineptitude of many of our managers). 
He wasn't even the best player today, but he was solid, pleasingly quiet today and got on with his job. Our horrible last season in the top flight he was one of maybe 2-3 players who could look at themselves in the mirror and say they gave enough. I for one don't want to see the back of Hutton. He annoys me sometimes I'll admit, but I love his attitude and he's a credit to the club.

But would you have his babies?
We'd end up with sprogs looking like Sloth from Goonies, but yes...I would have his babies.
That head down charge through the middle towards the end was a thing of beauty.
I do like a Hutton charge. Much like a Reo-Coker charge it can often end in disappointment but during the charge itself, majestic, like a leopard at full pelt chasing a gazelle, there's that moment of promise, that faint hope of an end product. But he keeps going. Lets face it we've had so many players who just disappear in games or go hiding. He goes for it. For better or worse. (In all fairness he's generally solid and dependable).

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »
After years of being on semi permanent crap runs I'm bloody reveling in this right now. We have our limitations but with Keinan and the way we play around him I'm starting to believe.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »

This is more or less my same summary. Oh the joy to watch Villa win away (even if on sofa)

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Good performance. We're clicking now. Good all round from everyone. Terry's not my favourite person but he's been rock solid of late. A class apart, and Chester too.

I wanna give props too, to a guy who is still a little maligned. Mr Alan Hutton. He's had his ups and downs it's fair to say in 6 years here. But any time it seems like he's on the scrap heap, managers keep coming back to him. The fact he's in and playing at left back also says a lot. He's not the best player in the world by any stretch but I've a lot of time for Hutts because he's a proper trooper. Model pro and we've had dozens of absolute shysters come and go during his time here. We've seen people waste away and disappear in a cloud of fart, or players just drift off in shame and disappointment. As much as some want to see the back of him, I actually think all told he's been one of the best buys of the last 6 years. That's not to say he's been a huge success. But even in the darker times he's just kept on plugging away. He doesn't hide and he's kept himself in good nick. He might shank crosses into row z but for large periods in his time here he's been treated like our main playmaker (such was the tactical ineptitude of many of our managers). 
He wasn't even the best player today, but he was solid, pleasingly quiet today and got on with his job. Our horrible last season in the top flight he was one of maybe 2-3 players who could look at themselves in the mirror and say they gave enough. I for one don't want to see the back of Hutton. He annoys me sometimes I'll admit, but I love his attitude and he's a credit to the club.

But would you have his babies?
We'd end up with sprogs looking like Sloth from Goonies, but yes...I would have his babies.
That head down charge through the middle towards the end was a thing of beauty.

That through ball in the first half which led to that Davis chance was lovely as well, although I'm not sure how intentional it was.

Feel like the fact that he had the option to cut inside onto his right foot made a difference though, as opposed to a simple straight-on charge down the right which is too predictable.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »

Summed it up perfectly, Risso.
Long night for you fella but pleased they made it a good one...UTV.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »
I was waiting for the moment where we gifted them a goal, particularly just before half time where it would have fired Preston up and put us under pressure. It never happened thankfully and we look like we are far more tougher mentally than say the Lambert/Sherwood/Garde teams where we'd collapse after conceding.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:57 PM »
Great at times. Only downside is that we didn't add another in the second half. Got a bit scrappy as the game went on but our defence looks rock solid. There was no way we were going to let a goal in let alone two. Let's hope we put teams away at home and a few mistakes from those above us should hopefully see us closing in on the automatic places.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
I was waiting for the moment where we gifted them a goal, particularly just before half time where it would have fired Preston up and put us under pressure. It never happened thankfully and we look like we are far more tougher mentally than say the Lambert/Sherwood/Garde teams where we'd collapse after conceding.

Its a good point. I credit Bruce in part for that mental toughness he was shouting all game, including a profanity ridden screed at Snodgrass to get in position, several minutes later Snodgrass scored :)

The other part I give to John Terry. Not just because of his great defensive work but because of his calm but firm captaincy style. It seems to have strengthened the whole squad mentally.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
Play like that and we will go up. Am worried about Saturday surely we can’t be as dominant again

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »
I’d like to take some of the credit for that performance, I saw Villa go 1-0 upand next thing I knew it was 10.15pm, if each midweek match is televised I’m happy to do my bit for the team.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
A very accomplished and clinical performance. Every player did well, even the much derided Hogan who had almost certainly been told not to try anything which gave the ball away, but still managed to tee up a sitter for Albert.

Davis was magnificent, but he is going to need tuition in the dark arts if he is not going to start getting sent off. SB should get Terry or Chester to show him what's what; they know the drill.

Great to see that Whelan and Snodgrass have now sorted themselves out as a unit, just as Terry and Chester did a while back. Dare we believe that everything is now clicking into place?

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
It's amazing to think how worried I was leaving the Madejski in August to what we're seeing now, especially when you see what's happened to Reading since as well. We look a proper outfit and never gave them a sniff. Keep it up Villa!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal