collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert - a retrospective  (Read 9987 times)

Offline robleflaneur

Re: Paul Lambert - a retrospective
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »
I recall writing on here,lost previous password and so changed name ,that he was the new up and coming manager,based on his exploits at Colchester and Norwich.
Surely,most of it must have been down to Culverhouse and Karsa because left to his own coaching we ,as well documented here,were abysmal.Even Dim Tim was an upgrade.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:21 PM »
He really wasn't very good, but with hindsight the way Lerner and the board hobbled him over and over again was disgraceful.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
Was it? I imagine he was made aware of the parameters and there was suggestion from Pelty or someone ITK that during certain windows he had more to spend than what he used.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
My clear impression of the history is that Lambert was a very willing participant in the hobbling.  My entirely personal opinion is that a better man and a better manager would have hobbled out of the door.  He stayed to boast about reducing the expectations of the fans.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
a complete knobhead redeemed only by buying The Beast. Sack me, sack me! -  he was was daring randy to do it. I can only imagine the enormity of his erotic compo dreams.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
The run of results post earlier is shocking but they were followed by a run to the end of the season which was promising.  In the last 14 we lost 5 times, against Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and won 6 of them.  21 points from 14, extend that over a season and you're looking at 8-10 in the league and breathing room.

The problem then was that he had a complete brain fade in the summer when it came to signings.  What we need to do was spend a decent whack on a left back and a forward/wide player who could compete with Gabby and Weimann and then a backup in defence for right back/right centre back and if there was some money left then he could've looked for a backup striker.  Instead he spent most of his budget on Kozak and Okore as competition for 2 of our best players, let players like Holman and KEA leave on the cheap and signed players just as poor (or worse) to replace them.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »
Sack me, sack me! -  he was was daring randy to do it. I can only imagine the enormity of his erotic compo dreams.

Didn't he offer to resign several times?

He was a stupid appointment for the task set by the board for a new manager - to bring in young and hungry players and develop them. He managed the first part but was never equipped to deliver on the second. If that was our strategy somebody like Carlos Queiroz should have been appointed.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
Sack me, sack me! -  he was was daring randy to do it. I can only imagine the enormity of his erotic compo dreams.

He was a stupid appointment for the task set by the board for a new manager - to bring in young and hungry players and develop them. He managed the first part but was never equipped to deliver on the second. If that was our strategy somebody like Carlos Queiroz should have been appointed.

Worse still it's poisoned some of the fans against the idea of buying player to develop them and reinforced the short-termism that we need to get away from.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »

Worse still it's poisoned some of the fans against the idea of buying player to develop them and reinforced the short-termism that we need to get away from.

I think anybody that saw the game on Saturday will see that it can be done with the right coach/manager.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
Saw him linked with the Sheffield Wednesday job in a weekend paper.  Must have a good agent.

Offline Rico

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »
When I think of Paul Lambert I always remember the Bradford game at Villa Park. Shockingly bad.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »
We seem to have been damned with appointing managers with a negative mindset, when we sit around recalling his tenure in a few years time I will forever link him with the tactic of managing to go backward from our own goal kicks. A tactic that was truly remarkable.

And I'll remember him for Bradford.

That said you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel for him when the TV camera showed him on the touchline in a defeat against, I think, Hull. He looked to have aged 20 years and looked broken.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2017, 06:28:02 PM »
Yes, I remember that.

I nearly felt a shiver down my spine when a previous poster mentioned the name, Tonev.

What did he cost, about £2m?

Still, at least that enabled PL to release Mark Albrighton on a Bosman.

Nice work, Paul!!!!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
Yes, I remember that.

I nearly felt a shiver down my spine when a previous poster mentioned the name, Tonev.

What did he cost, about £2m?

Still, at least that enabled PL to release Mark Albrighton on a Bosman.

Nice work, Paul!!!!

Off the top of my head I can only think of one decent signing from Lambert and that was Benteke (and what a bloody player as well). The rest are some of the worst footballers to ever pull on a Villa shirt in all my years as a Villa fan.
Paul Lambert is the stuff of nightmares.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
I generally agree, SH.

Apart from The Beast, Lowton always looked a good footballer, despite a lack of pace; Okore and Kozak would have done better without bad luck with injuries.

After that, there's not much to celebrate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal