collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barnsley v Unbeatable Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 19275 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Barnsley v Unbeatable Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »
I agree, for 15 minutes before the penalty we were getting over run through the centre, Whelan looking like he was running through treacle. Maybe a diamond would suit us better if we are gonna play two up front.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »
We were always a threat throughout with four attacking players and then 5 second half when Hourihane pushed on.

We defended very well and contained them. Taylor struggled a little against their 7 first half but Terry was imperious.

We capitalised on mistakes which this league is predominantly about and then second half we dominated entirely. We moved the ball nicely and broke well.

442 suited us and despite recycling possession a bit too often first half, it was a very pleasing win indeed.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Can't remember the last time we went in 2 up after such a dismal 1st half. We just couldn't keep the ball, 19% possession is dreadful.

Just for clarity, that 19% stat was a "last five (or ten, can't remember) minutes posession" stat, not a "first half" one.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
3 goals
Clean sheet
Away win
Win on Sky
Ball bag face leaves Small Heath

Carlsberg Saturday. Up the Vile.
LOL. As Tony would say I'm getting 🔨 tonight. Up the Vile.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2017, 12:06:06 PM »
Can't remember the last time we went in 2 up after such a dismal 1st half. We just couldn't keep the ball, 19% possession is dreadful.

Just for clarity, that 19% stat was a "last five (or ten, can't remember) minutes posession" stat, not a "first half" one.
Seriously who gives a flying fuck about possession stats when we just won 3-0?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »

How we laughed when TSM2 used to mock the possession stats, only to quote them when we had good ones after an embarrassing defeat.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
Message to Steve Bruce who has spent his career managing underdogs.

Please understand the difference between hysteria and expectation that comes from managing a big club.

Hull - Disappointing after signings made and full pre-season
Cardiff - Desperate
Reading - Desperate (Don't be fooled by our late goal making it look closer)
Norwich - Excellent, stumbled across KD due to injuries
Wigan - Excellent, different players coming in but continue with attacking intent
Bristol - Changes structure of winning team and loses all momentum
Brentford - fails to spot small ginger headed guy who has run the last three games we have played against them
Middlesbrough - wastes 40 mins by not changing things whilst we have extra player
Barnsley- Excellent

Please use the Barnsley game as platform, stop going on about hysteria and start spotting things that are happening on the pitch.

Welcome K4. Excellent first post. Agree with your summarisation of our recent form.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »
I agree, for 15 minutes before the penalty we were getting over run through the centre, Whelan looking like he was running through treacle. Maybe a diamond would suit us better if we are gonna play two up front.

We rarely seem able to function with a middle two hence rarely playing 4-4-2. Would be interested to know how many other Championship teams play 442.

Any statto's out there got the facts ?

For the record, I thought Whelan played very well yesterday and was a vital cog in the side that allowed us to be more attacking

Online Meanwood Villa

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »
Didn't see the match as I was expecting it to be shit. That'll teach me! Great result, now let's get on a run. Four more wins by the end of the month and I won't be hysterical any more Steve.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

The person who mentioned them in the first place?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
Albert Adomah,given his initials and his work-rate may I suggest that henceforth he be known as Duracell?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
AA has fixed the Villa engine. We may also need the AA because of post-match celebratory and/or depression-induced binge drinking.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
I think playing two up front works well for us, and Davis compliments Kodjia well.

I'd even go three up front in some home games, with Kodjia drifting and Hogan and Davis through the centre.

A good away win, looked solid for the most part. I enjoy watching Albert play. He creates alot for us when he does.

Is he our top scorer? Him and Hourihane perhaps, who've both hardly had a kick until recently.

I think you might be right, Percy. I'd definitely keep both in the starting lineup. They offer us some balance, and both have goals/assists in them.

I'd like to see O'Hare/Odomah given more game, too. Could Onomah play a holding role or is he more box to box?

Onomah's best performances for England U20s were more of a holding position, using his excellent passing ability and vision to pretty much orchestrate the game. He does like bring the ball forward and to get forward when the opportunity arises but he looks like the complete holding central midfielder.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Really impressed and happy with the win Davis was our motm but all of the team deserve a mention played so well we need to build on this result and keep playing the way we did against them so much better than we have played in recent weeks and also pleased with another clean sheet.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
Well done to the Villa players and team for a great result yesterday. It seems potato head is peeling a little agitated and appears to have a chip on his shoulder judging by his post match comments. I'll keep this simple for him as he struggles with too many numbers and facts and figures. For this season only he has only managed a 25% win ratio in the league-not good enough! He has only managed 4 points out of 12 away points- not good enough! He has only managed 6 points out of 12 home points-not good enough! Due to PH's poor start we are in catch-up mode already. Bruce needs to get a grip, do his job and show some humility towards the fans ( he should have dedicated yesterday's win to our long suffering away support, instead of the passive aggressive stance he decided to adopt). He may not like the pressure of fan expectation, but he has brought it on himself and I for one won't relent until he starts to do the job for which he is handsomely paid

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal