collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Much Awaited Return of Promotion Maths  (Read 282578 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: The Much Awaited Return of Promotion Maths
« Reply #1260 on: February 25, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »
We need to factor in the 3 points we'll have deducted when the FA overturn yesterday's result in response to the letter of complaint from that Wednesday fan.
Would it be just straight 3 points deduction or a further fine of 6 points for violently upsetting their fans? I can't see us making play-offs if so :-[
If the league see sense and award SW all the points they've lost due to referees being paid off they will be top of the league by some margin.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:52:05 PM by The Edge »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1261 on: February 26, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Cardiff are really starting to piss me off now.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1262 on: February 26, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
Both Fulham and Derby need 3 additional wins to overtake Cardiff so auto pro is dead in the water for them. The only team that can stop Cardiff is at B6.
Fulham have just beaten us and Wolves on the bounce.  They have the momentum and I wouldn't be surprised if they overhaul Cardiff.  Question is can we get on a similar run and stay ahead of them.  Don't fancy playing them in the playoffs.

Offline dorsetvillian

« Reply #1263 on: February 26, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
All teams will dread playing Villa in the playoffs.

Online The Edge

« Reply #1264 on: February 26, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
All teams will dread playing Villa in the playoffs.
Well said mate 👏
It would be kinder if we just get auto promotion.

Offline dorsetvillian

« Reply #1265 on: February 26, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
I agree, I'm not sure my heart could take the playoffs!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1266 on: February 26, 2018, 11:24:39 AM »
7 more wins and we'd be very close to automatic promotion. Looking at what we have left I think it's very possible. One of them will need to be against Cardiff of course.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1267 on: February 26, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
Looking at run-ins, Cardiff have some fucking easy games. Could really do with them bottling it and/or having an injury crisis like we've had to put up with all bloody season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1268 on: February 26, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
7 more wins and we'd be very close to automatic promotion. Looking at what we have left I think it's very possible. One of them will need to be against Cardiff of course.

This is more or less where I am although I think it may need 8 wins. Looking at ours and Cardiff's 5 fixtures in March, I can't see much change in the 4 point gap (if we get closer then it will be a bonus). April is THE month and every game will turn into the tense "cup final" type of match. If we could somehow get another 3 points in front of Derby, they could be out of it by the time we play them and field reserves in their game against us, in preparation for the play offs. All "ifs buts and maybes" but I haven't stopped thinking about every possible twist and turn for the past few weeks.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1269 on: February 26, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
Looking at run-ins, Cardiff have some fucking easy games. Could really do with them bottling it and/or having an injury crisis like we've had to put up with all bloody season.

What's easy about this:

Derby away- Derby lost form but still need points for top 6 and they don't lose many at Pride Park.

Burton home- Yeah I'll give you that one. Should be a comfortable three points.

Sheffield United away- Warnock's old club still battling for play offs. Won't be one for the purists, looks a draw to me.

Wolves home- Difficult to call. If Wolves get over this slump I don't think they'll lose.

Us away- Enough said.

Norwich away- Norwich got nothing to play for but Carrow road still tough venue to win at. We've got to go there aswell so get the feeling whoever wins this fixture will get second.

That's their run from Mid March to Mid April so decent chunk of their run in. I'd say if we're not second by end of that (we have Leeds at home when they have Norwich) we probably won't get second.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1270 on: February 26, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »
Sorry, I shouldn't have said "run-ins", it's the next few games I worry about. They have shite on toast every week. We need to keep winning or they could be out of sight by the time the tougher fixtures arrive.

Brentford, Barnsley and Small Heath = nine points.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:04:27 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1271 on: February 26, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
Brentford away isn't easy. Can see them drawing that and us winning so down to two points.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1272 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
Brentford away isn't easy. Can see them drawing that and us winning so down to two points.

You could also argue that playing a team fighting for dear life at this stage of the season is more difficult than playing a team mid to low table.

Out of Barnsley, Burton and Blues (their next three games), it's not beyond the realms of improbability for one of those teams to get some form of result there.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1273 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »

What, like losing their best two players for about three months in the run up to Christmas?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1274 on: February 26, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
Both Fulham and Derby need 3 additional wins to overtake Cardiff so auto pro is dead in the water for them. The only team that can stop Cardiff is at B6.
Fulham have just beaten us and Wolves on the bounce.  They have the momentum and I wouldn't be surprised if they overhaul Cardiff.  Question is can we get on a similar run and stay ahead of them.  Don't fancy playing them in the playoffs.

Me neither. The only side I wouldn't want us to face in we had to try and get promoted by the play-offs. We'll just have to do it by finishing second.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal