collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Glenn Whelan - Released  (Read 73109 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Glenn Whelan - Released
« Reply #405 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:38 AM »
Whelan played his part in our 10 match winning run so thank you but other than that he was a liability. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
Whelan played his part in our 10 match winning run so thank you but other than that he was a liability. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.
A bit harsh, there were some MOTM performances during that run.
Admittedly a few fuck ups but he did a good job and was a real pro.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
He was excellent in the second part of the season, became a real crowd favourite. Surprised we didn't offer him another year but maybe he has been offered first team football elsewhere. Regardless, thanks and good luck Glenn.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2019, 12:09:53 PM »
Where we're going, you don't need Whelan's.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2019, 12:13:28 PM »
Should've give him a one year extension. As much as anything he could've helped the younger players with no PL experience.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
I suspect there's a player coach role on offer at Stoke that they have all decided is the best route forwards.

Offline supertom

« Reply #411 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
I don't think a years deal really suits either party. He would barely play. He might as well stay in the championship and get a few games. There's no knowing how many players years he's got left. At 35, he'd struggle in the top flight I think.

Players like Grealish and Hourihane, Chester, Elmo and a few more are all pretty experienced now. We're bound to sign 6-7 players, some of whom will have played in the Prem. So I don't think we necessarily need Whelo's experience. If we were still in the champ, I'd have signed him for another year for sure, but we've got to be a little more ruthless and progressive (which given the releases, Smith has been).

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Should've give him a one year extension. As much as anything he could've helped the younger players with no PL experience.

Whelan was binned by Stoke two years ago because they didn't think he was up to the job in the top flight We have Chester, AEH, Taylor, Mings (hopefully), all of whom have played in the Premier and can do that role but contribute on the pitch too. Not to mention Terry on the coaching staff who is quite recently retired.

The last thing we need to be doing having just dug ourselves out of a financial hole is to be paying someone 30-40k a week just because they're good to have in the dressing room.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #413 on: June 02, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »
The thought of Neil Taylor playing in the PL scares the shit out of me.

Offline colin69

« Reply #414 on: June 02, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
Glenn went right up in my estimation over the last few months, to the point I really thought he might get another year with us to help out.
As his Mrs has said on to your next adventure....best of luck Glenn.

Offline supertom

« Reply #415 on: June 02, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
I'd have said the same 6 months ago but I think he's improved a lot. I've no qualms about keeping him on, though as a squad option. A new first choice is definitely a must.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #416 on: June 02, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »
Under previous management we would have given him a 3 year deal again .....this shows the club is thinking in the right way
Thanks Glen for what you did - even missing that penalty - and good luck in the future

Offline danno

« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
I suspect there's a player coach role on offer at Stoke that they have all decided is the best route forwards.

Not sure which colour this registers on Allan W's transfer traffic light system.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-transfer-free-agents-2918758

The gist of it is Stoke are rumoured to be after a holding midfielder possibly as a player coach who possibly might be Whelan.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #418 on: June 02, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »
I'd have said the same 6 months ago but I think he's improved a lot. I've no qualms about keeping him on, though as a squad option. A new first choice is definitely a must.

At PL level he'd get torn to pieces. He's a back up at best and I'm being generous. He became competent in the end and the only reason we felt that is because it was a huge improvement on what we saw from him prior to that.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
Also, when it came down to the most important game of the season, not only didn't Glenn start, he wasn't even brought on near the end

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal