collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Glenn Whelan - Released  (Read 73099 times)

Offline hipkiss92

Re: Glenn Whelan - SIGNED
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
Any Villa fan will know what Conor's strengths are and will have known about them for quite a long time. Unfortunately we've had a succession of managers in his time at Villa who have played him as dm. As much as I'm a fan of Dean Smith, he has been guilty of this even playing Conor as dm with Whelan playing further forward earlier in the season. Thankfully this seems to have stopped. Certainly the way Glenn and McGinn are playing and with Jack back in the team it makes it difficult for Conor to start games unless Deano was to start with 4 midfielders and 1 less winger. That said Conor is a vital member of the team and squad. Any reference to terms like "useless" is a term I think is more fitting for the likes of Micah Richards.

Had a dream that Micah Richards became a vital part of our defence and being devastated when he got a long term injury.

I know Dean Smith is good, but think my sub-conscious is stretching it a bit there.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
Any Villa fan will know what Conor's strengths are and will have known about them for quite a long time. Unfortunately we've had a succession of managers in his time at Villa who have played him as dm. As much as I'm a fan of Dean Smith, he has been guilty of this even playing Conor as dm with Whelan playing further forward earlier in the season. Thankfully this seems to have stopped. Certainly the way Glenn and McGinn are playing and with Jack back in the team it makes it difficult for Conor to start games unless Deano was to start with 4 midfielders and 1 less winger. That said Conor is a vital member of the team and squad. Any reference to terms like "useless" is a term I think is more fitting for the likes of Micah Richards.

I think he plays better as DM, building play from the back, pinging passes. Pretty much all of his yellow cards have been for brainless last ditch hacks as he tried to get back from an attacking Position and we avoid that when he sits deeper. I also notice that he plays better after he has been dropped!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »
My concern with Whelan was always about his fitness. For 18 months he looked like he was fucked after about an hour and we'd have to start plugging gaps. Whatever has happened more recently he's lasting out games much better and it means his performances have a lot less negatives.

We are keeping the ball a lot better hence less running around for Whelan and the rest of our players.

That's part of it but I think our defensive structure is better as well and we're controlling the tempo of games better, as well as most of the squad looking a bit fitter in general.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #378 on: June 01, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
Thanks for everything Glenn. You helped complete the job you were bought to do. Your wife and family should be very proud of you. Everybody needs a Whelan in midfield! Good bye and good luck!!

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #379 on: June 01, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »
I would have moved Whelan on in January and so was really surprised and delighted by his end of season performances.Credit to Deano and Whelan himself.
Best of luck for the future ,you have played a vital role in getting us promoted and double thanks for the penalty miss v Preston.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #380 on: June 01, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
How different it would have all been had he scored that penalty...

Offline achilles

« Reply #381 on: June 01, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »
Absolutely no problem with the guy, a first class professional, best of luck wherever you end up, you deserve as much credit as anyone in our promotion achievement.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Glenn Whelan - Released
« Reply #382 on: June 01, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
All the best Glenn.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #383 on: June 01, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
Thanks Glenn you were very instrumental in the "ten wins on the trot" which were pivotal in our promotion. Good luck in the future

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #384 on: June 01, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
Yep, good lad, good pro and wish him well.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #385 on: June 01, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
He went from someone most of us were frustrated with to a critical player in our charge to the playoffs, not just in his play which improved immensely but his overall leadership and attitude. He’s still got fuel in the tank and will be a valuable member of a
Championship side next season.

Good luck Glenn

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #386 on: June 01, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
All the best, brilliant season here since Dean arrived. Now understand why he was so popular at his last club. Top man

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #387 on: June 01, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
Showed the player he could be with proper coaching. Wouldn't have got that record of 10 wins on the bounce without him and he clearly loves the club, just like McCafu and Mad Tom clearly do. We sure do make a good impression on a lot of players that join us.

Offline Hinckley Dave

« Reply #388 on: June 01, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
He changed my opinion of him the second half of this season, became a crucial part of the team. Seems a decent bloke as well so wish him all the best. Just a shame on the official site they've lumped the likes of Whelan, Hutton, Jedinak and Elphick with Richards. I'd have liked it if they'd said, we wish all these players the very best and thank them for all their efforts...oh and by the way, Richards has left too!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #389 on: June 01, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
In the long run his missed penalty v Preston did us a lot of good aswell.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal