collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Glenn Whelan - Released  (Read 73159 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Glenn Whelan - SIGNED
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2019, 08:59:58 AM »
the only people responsible for this mess is successive owners and managers of the club. Whenever I saw something dire when I was in marketing  - particularly advertising - I never blamed the agency, it was the client for accepting shite. NSWE need to be as tough here as they are in every other business they have an interest in.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:31 AM »
I honestly don't think he's as bad as made out this season.

However bringing him on a game when you're 1 down is bonkers and when he makes an error for the penalty you just leave yourselve open to all sorts of criticism I'm afraid.
Yeah, I'm with you on both the points you make.
And: Hourihane has been so remittingly bad that any other midfielder is having to do the work of others; accentuating any mistakes made.
Exactly

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »
the only people responsible for this mess is successive owners and managers of the club. Whenever I saw something dire when I was in marketing  - particularly advertising - I never blamed the agency, it was the client for accepting shite. NSWE need to be as tough here as they are in every other business they have an interest in.

When you say need to be tough, what do you mean?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
Thing is I don’t think it’s that he’s terrible or doesn’t try or anything, but he’s completely unsuited to Smith’s gameplan and he completely undermines that style of play.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2019, 10:48:34 AM »
Powderpuff that's our midfield not one of them can tackle so they get bullied every game. What is Terry doing? I thought he would have some influence to improve our defence but we are worse than ever. Smith needs to get two or three in and at the same time offload some of the rubbish, easier said than done.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
With the alarming lack of options in midfield, giving Doyle Hayes a few minutes if and when fit must make more sense than giving minutes to Whelan, or even BB who form has plummeted in recent times. As others have said, Whelan isn't terrible but his lack of mobility and tendency to pass backwards or sideways won't suit Smiths way of playing.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
It's not abuse. I think he's a massively limited footballer that changes the way we play because he likes to sit deep. But he's no longer the player he was 10 years ago and because of his lack of pace and age, he cannot be as dynamic as he once was. Thus when he plays we play deeper and it's not helped by having Hourihane and McGinn in there who are better suited to that role because they are also able to get forward faster. I don't have a massive issue when he comes on late, but as a starting option I don't like it. Next game, I am hoping BB gets the start because he will at least push forward a bit more.

Whelan was never dynamic I'm afraid, even 10 years ago. Used to last the 90mins a lot better obviously but always had the same limitations. Did a solid job for Pulis at Stoke and arguably Trappatonis Ireland but had a very defined role in never getting beyond the ball and staying within 10-15 yards of the centre halves.

What worries me all season with him in that he has been pushing forward quite a bit, leaving us wide open when we lose the ball. Hourihane also has no recovery pace and our wingers can't be arsed in many cases. Recipe for our defensive disaster.

I do feel Whelan has become unfairly a bit of a fall guy on here. For one, he has played a lot more than he should, given injuries and also the form of Jedinak and Bjarnsson who he rotated well with last year. Critically, tactically we have been a shambles all year under Bruce/Smith where individuals like Hutton, Chester and Whelan are being exposed but the fault lies more with the coach than those players.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
whelan   elmo hutton taylor Jedi    Bolaise  Kodja  Adomah

all need f***ing off

Houriane should only be bench

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »

When you say need to be tough, what do you mean?

He means they need to come out and say ‘yo man I ain’t gonna fall for no banana in no tailpipe no more.’

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
Credit to him last night seemed to do his best to get us going. Noticed him talking to Green when they came on together.

A limited footballer yes but our best option in front of the back 4 at the moment.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »
He a really did ok when he came on. Well he passed it to a Villa player more than once.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:36 AM »
For all the bad press he gets from villa fans, I thought he was good last night. Calming, pass completion and took control of things when needed

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
Whelan can at least pass a ball, something Jedinak has never been very good at.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2019, 11:53:14 AM »
He changed our midfield when he came on. Gave us real impetus

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
I think he gets unfair criticism.
As I have said before, at least you know what he does and sadly we have no one else that can do that job at the moment.
I then look at Hourihane who does absolutely fuck all with the exception of the occasional decent pass or dead ball.
Playing both of them is a disaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal