collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:33:36 AM]

Robin Olsen by London Villan
[Today at 11:32:24 AM]

Champions League Contention by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:32:04 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lsvilla
[Today at 11:22:37 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:18 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:18:13 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 556271 times)

Offline clash city rocker

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2520 on: January 14, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Terry has played under some of the best managers in Europe.  If he'he's not up to playing after this season I would love to keep him as a coach

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #2521 on: January 14, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »
But plenty still wanted him on the bench in favour of Mad Tommy. I also note that the poll had an overwhelming majority against the signing. Just goes to show that fans don't always know what's best.

I'd assume plenty didn't want him for non-footballing reasons - me for example. I don't care how good he is.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2522 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
Great though he's been so far for us, he is no longer up to prem standard. Would be great to have around the club at that level but at 37, it's a stretch to expect him to return to the Premiership and be able to excel.

I think it would be a brave man who considered him not good enough for us if we go up. He's never relied on pace, so it's a case of keeping him fit and nursing him through the season. 20-30 games from him next season could be the difference between staying up and getting relegated. Our side is clearly going to struggle with the quality of players we have, so unless Tony is planning to spend 60-100m on 5 or 6 players i think we're going to need all the experience and quality we can get.If he wants to retire then fair enough but i'm sure he could be persuaded to have one last crack at the premier.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2523 on: January 14, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
Great though he's been so far for us, he is no longer up to prem standard. Would be great to have around the club at that level but at 37, it's a stretch to expect him to return to the Premiership and be able to excel.

McAuley at the Stripeys is 38, and half the player.

And that's why Albion are shit.  JT is a great player but having had a year away from the really fast pace of the Premiership I really don't think he could step back up to that level. I really, really hope to be proven wrong of course.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2524 on: January 14, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »
They're shit because they don't score enough goals.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2525 on: January 14, 2018, 03:10:29 PM »
 Is Terry good  enough to play regularly for a chelsea - well no, and they let him go. Is he good enough to make a difference to us fighting it out near the bottom? Yep

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2526 on: January 14, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »

What is prem standard? There really isn't much difference between the bottom half of the top division and the top half of the second tier. Look at Newcastle, still playing pretty much the same players at last season. JT would walk into that Newcastle side and the rest of the clubs outside the top 6 or so.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2527 on: January 14, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
I’m still very firmly in the ‘can’t stand him and wish he’d never signed for Villa’ camp.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2528 on: January 14, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
Keep him if we go up and give him the day off in the Chelsea fixtures. I could cope with that.

Yeah surely if it's such an issue we can just say he has a slight injury before the Stamford Bridge game. Would it really be a thing for him not want to play against them at VP?

If say we'd got to the FA cup semi or final and Chelsea had been the opponents, would he have refused to play?

I can understand given his association with them it would be a really strange feeling and odd day but Lampard served Chelsea nearly as long and he played and scored against Chelsea for Man. city.

Still that's all in the future. If we do go up I think it's a must we keep him on for one more year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:44:59 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2529 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »

McAuley at the Stripeys is 38, and half the player.

And that's why Albion are shit.  JT is a great player but having had a year away from the really fast pace of the Premiership I really don't think he could step back up to that level. I really, really hope to be proven wrong of course.

Gareth Mcauley has hardly played this season. Johnny Evans and Hegazi have been the regular players for them at the back.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #2530 on: January 14, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
I’m still very firmly in the ‘can’t stand him and wish he’d never signed for Villa’ camp.
k

Good for you..meanwhile I hope he plays every single game this season helping us to get back into the Premier League. Then i will give the 'holier than thou' view why he shouldn't play for us, about half a second thought and then realise we were actually lucky to have him.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #2531 on: January 14, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
He puts the likes of Richards and Gabby to shame.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2532 on: January 14, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »
It’s hard to ignore he personal side of his past. I have no issue with anyone who feels they can’t get past that. But as a player I was happy to get him and since he’s proven in every way to be a tremendous signing.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2533 on: January 14, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
He puts the likes of Richards and Gabby to shame.

Surely we could look at agreeing a mutual cancellation of Micah’s contract. Yes it will cost us but would be less than paying him every week for the next 18 months until he inevitably leaves!?

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2534 on: January 14, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »
I think we need to be careful not to overstate Terry's influence. We've just been without him for two months and it had literally zero impact on our results. We may have even done slightly better. There's a player next to him that has been solid for us for 18 months, and to my mind, more worthy of our admiration. I'm sure if he were to get injured we might realise how important he is to us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal