collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:33:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:31:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by nick harper
[Today at 05:31:35 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:30:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 05:29:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:28:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by django
[Today at 05:26:58 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Mellin
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555237 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2340 on: December 13, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »
John Terry Holte

I'll give him this. He wants to make the most of this opportunity and you have to set aside personal feelings about who he is and have respect for his professionalism and dedication. It's good for the club in a football context to have him there and highly influential to the other players.

Gabby has a similar video where he stops a few times to smoke, drink and down a pie before falling asleep. I don't know if he finished the run.

'Professional footballer in doing-some-training shocker!'

Am I missing something here?  Isn't trying to get fit as soon as possible what we pay him for?!

It is, but as we've seen, we've had several players recently who can't even be bothered to do the very minimum required.  When you've got wasters like Agbonlahor and McCormack, seeing somebody go a bit above and beyond what's required is good news, surely?

Sorry, I'm still struggling with this.  How is a professional footballer training to get back to fitness going "above and beyond"?

Isn't that the absolute bare minimum expectation?  Saying he's better than two guys who've clearly fallen way below expectations is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Yes, it's good that he's doing this and hopefully it clears up any doubt whatsoever in the mind of the kids that this is the sort of thing that's expected but as a club and a collection of fans, our expectations of our players should be way higher than being impressed by our captain doing some training.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2341 on: December 13, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
I think given it is John Terry with nothing at all to prove in the game, it should dispel any doubt that he’s just here to pick up money. As Risso said we’ve had more than our fair share of those over the years. I get what you’re saying Ad@m in that it should be what a footballer does but in a small way it has changed my perspective towards him and his motivation. He could absolutely take it easy, come back in February and nobody would be any the wiser. That he is doing everything he can to help us is a testament to his continued professional attitude. Something that has been a bit of foreign concept around the B6 area for a lot of years.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2342 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »
John Terry Holte

I'll give him this. He wants to make the most of this opportunity and you have to set aside personal feelings about who he is and have respect for his professionalism and dedication. It's good for the club in a football context to have him there and highly influential to the other players.

Gabby has a similar video where he stops a few times to smoke, drink and down a pie before falling asleep. I don't know if he finished the run.

'Professional footballer in doing-some-training shocker!'

Am I missing something here?  Isn't trying to get fit as soon as possible what we pay him for?!

It is, but as we've seen, we've had several players recently who can't even be bothered to do the very minimum required.  When you've got wasters like Agbonlahor and McCormack, seeing somebody go a bit above and beyond what's required is good news, surely?

Sorry, I'm still struggling with this.  How is a professional footballer training to get back to fitness going "above and beyond"?

Isn't that the absolute bare minimum expectation?  Saying he's better than two guys who've clearly fallen way below expectations is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Yes, it's good that he's doing this and hopefully it clears up any doubt whatsoever in the mind of the kids that this is the sort of thing that's expected but as a club and a collection of fans, our expectations of our players should be way higher than being impressed by our captain doing some training.

Well, maybe he's doing extra training over what's actually asked of him, in his own time.  I just think that somebody of his age doing his best to get back to fitness as early as possible is a good thing.  There's enough to be cynical about with Villa already, surely?

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2343 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
John Terry Holte

Bloody slacker only ran around the lower Holte! What about the upper?!

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #2344 on: December 13, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »
It looked like some canny public relations to me. Who filmed it for Terry's Instagram?

Good work from the club.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2345 on: December 13, 2017, 08:11:09 PM »
Brave John Terry.

Still don’t like him and still wish he wasn’t a Villa player.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2347 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Who cares? I’m sure his money and fame have afforded him loads of things most of us would find gaudy or obnoxious. I’m sure if you took a trip to Gabby’s pad or Richards you’d find the same kind of bollocks. As long as he does it on the pitch and acts a pro off it while with us then that’s where it counts.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2348 on: December 13, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »
He's clearly trying to get back way ahead of schedule.

Remember he was going to be out until well into January remember, 3 months was I think the expected time out.

I didn't want us to sign him either but bar a dodgy first few games he hasn't put a foot wrong for us on and off the pitch.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2349 on: December 13, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »
Been a great signing let's be honest, couple of shaky games early on but has dominated the division since. I like the way he hasn't gone around shouting the odds on the pitch like he could have. Has let his football do the talking, Chester and Johnstone have improved immeasurably next to him.

Much better with the ball at his feet than most of our midfielders. In my time watching English club football, there hasn't been a centre half to come close to his quality. I was cynical of his motives but he has been a consumate professional.

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #2350 on: December 13, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Been a great signing let's be honest, couple of shaky games early on but has dominated the division since. I like the way he hasn't gone around shouting the odds on the pitch like he could have. Has let his football do the talking, Chester and Johnstone have improved immeasurably next to him.

Much better with the ball at his feet than most of our midfielders. In my time watching English club football, there hasn't been a centre half to come close to his quality. I was cynical of his motives but he has been a consumate professional.

You must have started watching English club football after 1996 then! ;)

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #2351 on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
John Terry Holte

Bloody slacker only ran around the lower Holte! What about the upper?!

Would have been better if he was chasing all the other players' scantily clad wives with the Benny Hill music playing in the background.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2352 on: December 13, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »

Maybe just a few years before then! Huge McGrath fan but he didn't have a fraction of Terry's ability on the ball imo. Who else was at that level even in the 80s or early 90s ?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2353 on: December 14, 2017, 07:08:12 AM »
I won't agree with that as McGrath was a really good footballer first and foremost. But specific to Terry it's his calmness in the ball that I had not noticed before.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2354 on: December 14, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »

Maybe just a few years before then! Huge McGrath fan but he didn't have a fraction of Terry's ability on the ball imo. Who else was at that level even in the 80s or early 90s ?

Few do, even Baresi wasn’t that great with the ball.

I too didn’t understand just how good Terry is with the ball as I hadn’t noticed when we played in the top flight. I suppose there is an argument that we didn’t see it as all players will look better as they drop down a level.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal