collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555653 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1860 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
See also, every time Johnstone had the ball in his hands. Not one defender showing for the ball. They all just skulk off so that he has to hoof it long and watch it come back.

Yeah, that was really irking me too. It happened so often that it must have been under instruction from Bruce. There was one point in the second half where De Laet did actually show for the ball and Johnstone waved him away to kick it long, straight back to an unchallenged Reading centre-back.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1861 on: August 16, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
See also, every time Johnstone had the ball in his hands. Not one defender showing for the ball. They all just skulk off so that he has to hoof it long and watch it come back.

Yeah, that was really irking me too. It happened so often that it must have been under instruction from Bruce. There was one point in the second half where De Laet did actually show for the ball and Johnstone waved him away to kick it long, straight back to an unchallenged Reading centre-back.

And there lies the difference between a modern progressive manager like Stam and our dinosaur. Looked like the complete opposite for Reading players who clearly had been told not to hoof the ball at any cost

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #1862 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
there was a good call into TalkSport after the game last night, noting that at Chelsea Terry was constantly 'in the ear' of the referee, cajoling his team-mates and generally leading the team. In his first 3 games at Villa he literally looks like he's strolling around. He's not made any mistakes, per se, but we're paying him stupid money to do what hie did for Chelsea, not just a slightly less adequate (and decade older) version of Nathan Baker. It looks like a an absolute clanger from Bruce so far.

Totally agree with this. And also he's not getting in the ears of the players around him. Last night, when their bloke was down getting treatment, Stam had got a number of players together to give them pointers. Bruce just scowled around the dugout, while Terry – and most of the players – just stood with their hands on hips. No fight, no leadership, no responsibility, no communication.

See also, every time Johnstone had the ball in his hands. Not one defender showing for the ball. They all just skulk off so that he has to hoof it long and watch it come back. We won about three bloody headers all night; and at no point did Terry – or anyone – say 'hang on a minute, we need to take control of this and change things around'.

Speaking of hands on hips during that injury break, why did Hogan wait to go off? The commentator said Gabby was ready to come on yet looking at Hogan, it seemed he was staying on the pitch! Until the ref was about to restart the match, he ambled off, absolutely no urgency whatsoever. Very bizarre.

Offline TheTimVilla

« Reply #1863 on: August 16, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »

Similarly, poor Neil Taylor got so attached to the ball he could barely manage to throw it. Waiting far too long just to lob it to nobody in particular.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #1864 on: August 16, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »
In Taylor's defence it did always look like Onomah was the only player upon who it had dawned to actually move and show for the ball from throw-ons. Another example of how un-rehearsed we are as a side.

Offline TheTimVilla

« Reply #1865 on: August 16, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
In Taylor's defence it did always look like Onomah was the only player upon who it had dawned to actually move and show for the ball from throw-ons. Another example of how un-rehearsed we are as a side.

I am indeed impressed with the way Whelan hides behind his man at throw ins!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1866 on: August 16, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
In fairness, Whelan had probably never seen a short throw before leaving Stoke.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1867 on: August 16, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
Our throw-in have been poor for years, normally waist high and difficult to control, I lose count every match of how many times we give the ball away after our throw-ins.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #1868 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
throw ins ??
not that it should have its own thread but why oh why do we allow the opposing team to determine the line at throw ins. its been happening for years now when we are within 25-30 yards from the opposition box why doesn't one of our players go and stand on the goal line as you cant be offside from a throw in then it throws the complete team team onside

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1869 on: August 17, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
Has Terry shown any leadership as Captain, so far this season? I haven't seen any games yet, but the results and manner of performances would seem to indicate that he's contributed very little and had an adverse effect on Chester.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #1870 on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »
throw ins ??
not that it should have its own thread but why oh why do we allow the opposing team to determine the line at throw ins. its been happening for years now when we are within 25-30 yards from the opposition box why doesn't one of our players go and stand on the goal line as you cant be offside from a throw in then it throws the complete team team onside

The only time in living memory that I can remember the team ever having looked like they had anything even vaguely resembling a routine at throw-ins was under MON, when Carew would always drop into wherever the throw was being taken, and the player who’s position he was occupying would push-on 5 yards higher up the pitch to collect the flick that Carew would inevitably win. A really, really simple thing, and one that probably took no more than 10 minutes on the training ground and a quick reminder before the game, but one that was so effective in allowing us to keep possession of the ball so often. I don’t even think that should be classed as ‘attention to detail’, just basic footballing strategy, but it’s been sorely missing ever since MON left.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1871 on: August 18, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
Said this before but there was a match under Lambert (I think) where there were 3 foul throws penalised by the referee, two from Villa. I've never seen that happen more than once in a match apart from an Under 9's match my son was playing in.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1872 on: August 18, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
throw ins ??

The only time in living memory that I can remember the team ever having looked like they had anything even vaguely resembling a routine at throw-ins was under MON, when Carew would always drop into wherever the throw was being taken, and the player who’s position he was occupying would push-on 5 yards higher up the pitch to collect the flick that Carew would inevitably win. A really, really simple thing, and one that probably took no more than 10 minutes on the training ground and a quick reminder before the game, but one that was so effective in allowing us to keep possession of the ball so often. I don’t even think that should be classed as ‘attention to detail’, just basic footballing strategy, but it’s been sorely missing ever since MON left.

Don't start me on throw ins!  Against Colchester.......yes Colchester of the bottom division......we constantly gave the ball away from a throw in, whereas nearly every throw they took quickly and managed to find a man in acres of space.   Whereas we dillied and dallied and when we eventually took it our only obvious target was marked by three men!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1873 on: August 18, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
And fucking corners. Why do we never leave a man on the halfway line when defending one? Others do it against us.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #1874 on: August 18, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »
also why don't we leave 2 men on the half way line at corners
opposing teams never leave it 1 on 1 so there would be 3 defenders plus goalie which means we always have 2 men over in defence.
also why aren't our full backs told to peel off to the wings like gidman Gibson swain Williams always did when our goalie collected the ball which suddenly put us on the attack.
just basic basic footballing drills which seem to have been lost

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal