collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555450 times)

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1845 on: August 15, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
Dosen't sound like he was much better tonight.

Chester was on the whole pretty good last season, him and Baker were a solid combination bar the odd poor game.

I wonder what the issue is...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1846 on: August 15, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
On ability, Terry should be the best defender in the division by a country mile, and with Chester who was very good last season, we should at least look competent in defence.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1847 on: August 15, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »
Chester really struggling alongside him which is a big worry.

Chester's best game so far this season was down at Colchester. I personally think taking the captaincy off him was a mistake.

I agree.  I've never seen him play as badly as he did against Cardiff, think he made mistakes in that one game than he did in the whole of last season.

That is very possible as it must have been a blow to his confidence and self-esteem. On the other hand, it could be he is not comfortable playing on the left side of CD with Terry. In fact, Baker/Chester was far superior to Chester/Terry. It happens.

Of course, sometimes central defensive partnerships take time to gel. But I don't want to go there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:47:09 PM by adrenachrome »

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1848 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »
Terry could go down as the worst and most pointless signing in our history. To be honest though he was never going to win me over, he's easily my most hated Villa player in my most hated squad of players ever. Takes some doing when the likes of Agbonlahor and Richards were already stinking the place out.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1849 on: August 15, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
It was always going to be a risk.  Taking a player who was Mr Chelsea, who'd spent pretty well his entire career winning trophies surrounded by world class players and then dropping him into a club as hopeless and badly run as Villa was probably never going to work out well.  It must be extremely difficult to take, going from playing with the likes of Azpilicueta and Luiz to then watching rubbish like Hutton and Taylor hopelessly knocking 50 yard hoofs to nobody in particular.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1850 on: August 15, 2017, 11:45:17 PM »
Blaming Terry for chester playing shit is a bit like blaming Kodjia for Gabby. You only have to see the stats to see the problem. We can't pass the ball, so we can't keep the ball. Any defence is gonna struggle and be put under pressure with that mess in front of it

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1851 on: August 15, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
It's too early to say if Terry is the problem, especially for Chester's form. But i'm going to blame the twat anyway.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #1852 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
I would say that taking the captains armband from Chester, was a massive, massive mistake. He was my player of the season (with JK) did nothing wrong. Bruce says we got over excited about getting in John Terry, well Mr Bruce, I didn't and lots of people I know didn't

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #1853 on: August 16, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
there was a good call into TalkSport after the game last night, noting that at Chelsea Terry was constantly 'in the ear' of the referee, cajoling his team-mates and generally leading the team. In his first 3 games at Villa he literally looks like he's strolling around. He's not made any mistakes, per se, but we're paying him stupid money to do what hie did for Chelsea, not just a slightly less adequate (and decade older) version of Nathan Baker. It looks like a an absolute clanger from Bruce so far.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1854 on: August 16, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »
On ability, Terry should be the best defender in the division by a country mile, and with Chester who was very good last season, we should at least look competent in defence.

Maybe he "was" but after barely playing last season perhaps his legs and his motivation have gone. He hasn't certainly taken a step down from the quality of managers and players he played with for 15 odd years

Offline Risso

« Reply #1855 on: August 16, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
I like how Bruce reckons it was the fans getting carried away with the signing of Terry, when it was Fistface himself that was blathering on about how Terry finding a waiter to play guitar for him on his initiation song proved what a fine organiser and leader of men he was.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #1856 on: August 16, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
I like how Bruce reckons it was the fans getting carried away with the signing of Terry, when it was Fistface himself that was blathering on about how Terry finding a waiter to play guitar for him on his initiation song proved what a fine organiser and leader of men he was.

Quite.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1857 on: August 16, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
My cousin reckons that Terry will be our manager by Christmas.

I replied that I think he will have been sacked by then.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1858 on: August 16, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
Did he pick up an injury last night? Going to the Norwich match and really don't want to see him in a Villa shirt. My son has got a season ticket to Harrogate Town this season, he'd rather watch non league, think it will probably be his first and last match at Villa Park this season.

Offline exigo

« Reply #1859 on: August 16, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
there was a good call into TalkSport after the game last night, noting that at Chelsea Terry was constantly 'in the ear' of the referee, cajoling his team-mates and generally leading the team. In his first 3 games at Villa he literally looks like he's strolling around. He's not made any mistakes, per se, but we're paying him stupid money to do what hie did for Chelsea, not just a slightly less adequate (and decade older) version of Nathan Baker. It looks like a an absolute clanger from Bruce so far.

Totally agree with this. And also he's not getting in the ears of the players around him. Last night, when their bloke was down getting treatment, Stam had got a number of players together to give them pointers. Bruce just scowled around the dugout, while Terry – and most of the players – just stood with their hands on hips. No fight, no leadership, no responsibility, no communication.

See also, every time Johnstone had the ball in his hands. Not one defender showing for the ball. They all just skulk off so that he has to hoof it long and watch it come back. We won about three bloody headers all night; and at no point did Terry – or anyone – say 'hang on a minute, we need to take control of this and change things around'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal