collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549702 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #615 on: June 27, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
Would he improve on what we already have? If you agree he does then it makes sense if we want to get promoted.
I am totally neutral to this, he is divisive but get why people don't want him based on his reputation.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #616 on: June 27, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
Can we get of our moral high horse just for a second, this is life, saying something in the heat  of the moment doesn't make someone a racist, however stupid, basic education will teach you that.

Stop trying to score points with the mods for a second and try and be objective from a footballing perspective.

And my voting status has nothing to do with it.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #617 on: June 27, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
I want promotion. It might not sit well in your stomach but Terry will help us get there.

He might. He also might be a lumbering liability who costs us goals because his 37 year old legs can't catch up to Fulham or Brentford's latest 20 year old whippersnapper.

To a degree isn't that the risk with anyone? We could buy a 20 year whippersnapper to keep up with the 20 year whippersnappers but there's no guarantee they would also then be good defenders. If we always lived by that rule Paul McGrath would never have become a legend in our colours.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
Ok. Objectively, it's insane for a second tier club to pay £60k per week to a 37 year-old racist.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
Can we get of our moral high horse just for a second, this is life, saying something in the heat  of the moment doesn't make someone a racist, however stupid, basic education will teach you that.

Stop trying to score points with the mods for a second and try and be objective from a footballing perspective.

And my voting status has nothing to do with it.

I'll take that as a "yes".

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #620 on: June 27, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
Much better.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #621 on: June 27, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
I want promotion. It might not sit well in your stomach but Terry will help us get there.

He might. He also might be a lumbering liability who costs us goals because his 37 year old legs can't catch up to Fulham or Brentford's latest 20 year old whippersnapper.

To a degree isn't that the risk with anyone? We could buy a 20 year whippersnapper to keep up with the 20 year whippersnappers but there's no guarantee they would also then be good defenders. If we always lived by that rule Paul McGrath would never have become a legend in our colours.

Yes. I've said many times that there is no player we could sign who carries no risk. It's just a case of what risk it poses balanced against the potential reward.

His pedigree would suggest that a 37 year John Terry is less of a risky signing than a 37 year old Paul Robinson.

But I'd personally say that a 32 year old Curtis Davies would carry a lower risk than a 37 year old John Terry.

As for your last point I would say that had we been discussing McGrath as a 37 year old potential signing rather than the 29 year old that he was, then he wouldn't have become a legend in our colours. Or probably even managed more than a dozen or so matches.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #622 on: June 27, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »

Sorry but I'm struggling with this.  Even if it's a "heat of the moment comment" to even consider using someone's race as an insult would suggest that you're in some way racist.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #623 on: June 27, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »

McGrath was 29 when we signed him. Terry is 37, the same age McGrath was when he retired.

Genuinely can't think of the last good 37 year old outfield player we signed? Even assuming Terry is better than most of his age group, when was the last good outfield signing we made of a player 35 or over?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #624 on: June 27, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »

Sorry but I'm struggling with this.  Even if it's a "heat of the moment comment" to even consider using someone's race as an insult would suggest that you're in some way racist.

You'll get nowhere. AV8rexit thinks anyone who opposes racism is trying to be Mother Theresa. He genuinely can't get it into his head how calling someone a "fucking black c***" is unacceptable.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #625 on: June 27, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »

You could even say that using such words "in the heat of the moment", almost as a reflex action, suggests that they're never far from your thoughts or the tip of your tongue.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
Absolutely.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »

McGrath was 29 when we signed him. Terry is 37, the same age McGrath was when he retired.

Genuinely can't think of the last good 37 year old outfield player we signed? Even assuming Terry is better than most of his age group, when was the last good outfield signing we made of a player 35 or over?

McGrath because of his significant knee issues and off the field problems was essentially tossed out by Man U. That he went on to become legendary was in large part down to how he was managed, and even then there were plenty of bumps along the way.

Look I don't for a second expect Terry to be close to anything McGrath was. And of course so much depends on fitness and motivation. But for one year, could he do it? For 5m in a sport for that money barely pays for average these days, I think it's worth the risk at Championship level. I wouldn't be at all for this if we were getting him as a PL club.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #628 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »

McGrath because of his significant knee issues and off the field problems was essentially tossed out by Man U. That he went on to become legendary was in large part down to how he was managed, and even then there were plenty of bumps along the way.

Look I don't for a second expect Terry to be close to anything McGrath was. And of course so much depends on fitness and motivation. But for one year, could he do it? For 5m in a sport for that money barely pays for average these days, I think it's worth the risk at Championship level. I wouldn't be at all for this if we were getting him as a PL club.

That's a reasonable attitude. But it differs from the certainty of your earlier one, contained in the first quote of this quote war 😉.

I might consider it a risk worth taking without the baggage. With that, and his age, I just cannot be arsed with this deal.

We have scouts, go recruit the next, non-scummy, version of John Terry.

The next Shaun Teale would do perfectly well.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
Maybe handling Terry with care as we did with Paul McGrath will help him perform to his best. Although you wonder if we have anyone as wise as SGT and Jim Walker were.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal