collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549714 times)

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
As fit as he may be a concern is the rigours of the championship for a 37 year old

If like jedinak he manages 32 odd games thats 14 where we are chopping and changing

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:39 AM »
I don't think he will have any idea of how tough this division is until he tries it and gets injured away at Cardiff on the 2nd Saturday.  Imagine him playing away at Barnsley on a cold Tuesday night.

He played all right in Sheffield on a cold Tuesday night to be fair.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:36:07 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
I think one of his many issues has been his ability to play away

Offline Damo70

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
I don't think he will have any idea of how tough this division is until he tries it and gets injured away at Cardiff on the 2nd Saturday.  Imagine him playing away at Barnsley on a cold Tuesday night.

Great football cliches. 'Barnsley on a cold Wednesday night'. I will counter that with 'Rotherham on a wet Wednesday night'.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
We need to change our name to Southampton as we have a hell of a lot of saints for supporters. How many on here calling him all the name's under the sun can say with hand on heart they have never make a comment about the colour of somebodies skin colour or race whether in jest or not.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »
I can honestly say I've never racially abused someone. If I did, I wouldn't expect to keep my job. It's to Chelsea's shame that they stood by the racist, and would be to Villa's shame if we compound their error of judgement by signing the bigot.

Let him go to somewhere like Russia or Serbia where he'll be appreciated.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »
I don't think he would disrupt the dressing room in fact I think the opposite. I think he's at an age where at least one last hurrah would still be in his locker and he could be a lynch pin for our promotion push next season. Do I like the man? From what I've heard. No. Would I like to go for a pint with him? No. But I would cheer a goal he stuck in the net at the Holte End. I'd cheer a crunching tackle or heroic header. Make no mistake if we fail again this season we are in serious danger of sliding into oblivion. For me it's a chance we have to take.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »
There's no guarantee he will bring success, any more than previous "winners" such as Schmeichel, Lescott and Richards did.

I'd rather we invested in a young centre-half who will get better, rather than one on the wain.

Baker and Chester are among the better partnerships in the division anyway, so someone who can provide cover and will improve over time is the way to go.

If we are spending stupid money on one player, a creative, pacey, midfielder is the obvious choice.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:51 AM »
Aston Villa has an esteemed history that is second to none.  It does not need John Terry to sully it.  Not for me thanks.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2017, 08:47:48 AM »
I'd say throwing big money at a controversial past-it centre-half could well speed our journey to oblivion.

Oh, and to answer CV, I've managed to never racially abuse anyone. Not sure how it can be done "in jest" either.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
There's no guarantee he will bring success, any more than previous "winners" such as Schmeichel, Lescott and Richards did.

I'd rather we invested in a young centre-half who will get better, rather than one on the wain.

Baker and Chester are among the better partnerships in the division anyway, so someone who can provide cover and will improve over time is the way to go.

If we are spending stupid money on one player, a creative, pacey, midfielder is the obvious choice.

Bolded has been true for years, I am baffled why all recent our managers have not taken the midfield problem seriously.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »

Bolded has been true for years, I am baffled why all recent our managers have not taken the midfield problem seriously.
I thought we bought a few last year who as soon as they join us became shite?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
John Terry being at the club for a year sullies our name? Really? When we've added another 60 years onto our history and people look back over our 200 they'll tut at John Terry?

Please. The older amongst you may well have hero worshiped a wife beater or at the very least celebrated his goals. We've had nasty characters before and we will likely have more.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
I'd take him. Think it's different to when we signed the likes of Richards and Lescott, they weren't the long-term Captain of their club side or country.

Think his leadership, organisation and ability would command the respect of the dressing room.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
I am in favour of this short term. If he is prepared to turn down megabucks offers which surely he will have from china/usa etc to try to get us promotion that's good enough for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal