collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:10:36 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Drummond
[Today at 01:08:47 PM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by jwarry
[Today at 01:06:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 12:58:21 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by AV82EC
[Today at 12:48:30 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by eamonn
[Today at 12:45:24 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 12:42:16 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:36:04 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:10:36 PM]

Re: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Drummond
[Today at 01:08:47 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:08:24 PM]

Re: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by RamboandBruno
[Today at 01:08:17 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Pat Mustard
[Today at 01:07:26 PM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by jwarry
[Today at 01:06:58 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 01:06:22 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 01:04:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 552371 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: John Terry - Confirmed Assistant Coach
« Reply #4095 on: August 17, 2020, 01:28:29 PM »
I have left it at that.

You just wouldn't let it li..... oh, you did.

I've no idea how he's been as a coach with us, I suspect he's been learning a lot from Smith. He was great playing for us though and I've seen no bad press at all about him since he's been here. I'm surprised to be honest but he's growing on me, perhaps that's because I don't follow his social media though.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4096 on: August 17, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »
if you followed anyone on social media you'd end up hating them.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4097 on: August 17, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
He hasn't given a sniff of a headline while he has been here. Head down, got on with it as player and manager. I loathed him more than most on here, but he has done all asked and been a positive role model on and off the pitch. If he goes, he does with my best wishes and hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4098 on: August 17, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
He hasn't given a sniff of a headline while he has been here. Head down, got on with it as player and manager. I loathed him more than most on here, but he has done all asked and been a positive role model on and off the pitch. If he goes, he does with my best wishes and hope he does well wherever he ends up.
A measured view and is how I feel.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #4099 on: August 17, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »
I suspect few of us, if any, will ever have the degree of contact to form a meaningful opinion of his character.

It's possible for a complete arse to be polite and affable in a two-minute exchange heading in or out of the ground or when approached out in public. It's just as likely that a genuinely decent person can be grumpy or dealing with problems a fan will not be aware of when they are approached.

What I do find puzzling is the seemingly universal view that his season playing for us was a success - especially in relation to his positional play. My take, for what it is worth, is that his default was to back off rather than get exposed for a lack of pace.

As a result our defensive line was very deep - though that might have been the 'plan' (unlikely as we weren't doing tactics at the time). Coupled with the poor/inconsistent cover in front of the back four, meant we surrendered both possession and territory and invited pressure.

In my view, Chester was comfortably the better performer and organiser that season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4100 on: August 17, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
A good pal of mine met him, a baggie, and really wanted to dislike him. He told me he seemed a really nice fella.

People can change?

Let’s hope so for all our sakes.

I've been told stories that when he was at Chelsea he went to see every player who was on loan, regularly saw the Academy sides, did everything you'd expect from a captain. He was also at Ron Saunders' funeral, which might not sound much but he didn't have to be there. 

Excellent of him going to Ron's funeral considering he had no links to us prior to 2017 but obviously taken time to understand our history.

Just think he wants to be a number one somewhere now and the time is probably right given we've got Craig Shakespeare in who can do the number 2 role with his eyes closed.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4101 on: August 17, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
I watched the documentary Anelka, Misunderstood over the weekend. Very good if you haven’t seen it. There was a short bit with Marcel Desailly and it reminded me of the incident with Ron Atkinson. If you think what John Terry allegedly said to Anton Ferdinand was bad (and I’m not minimizing what he’s alleged to have said), what Ron Atkinson actually said was way, way worse. And for many Villa fans, despite that he’s still a hero.

If you are going to hate racism, hate it all.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4102 on: August 17, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
I do.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #4103 on: August 17, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
A good pal of mine met him, a baggie, and really wanted to dislike him. He told me he seemed a really nice fella.

People can change?

I've been told stories that when he was at Chelsea he went to see every player who was on loan, regularly saw the Academy sides, did everything you'd expect from a captain. He was also at Ron Saunders' funeral, which might not sound much but he didn't have to be there. 

I was told by the club tour guide that Terry, whilst living at the Belfry, bought a coffee every morning from the Starbucks in the hotel en route to training. He got chatting to the young lad serving him every day as he was a Villa fan.

For one game, no one was going to be using Terry’s private box in the Trinity Road stand, so he let the young lad from Starbucks have it, so he could bring his mates and family.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4104 on: August 17, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
I watched the documentary Anelka, Misunderstood over the weekend. Very good if you haven’t seen it. There was a short bit with Marcel Desailly and it reminded me of the incident with Ron Atkinson. If you think what John Terry allegedly said to Anton Ferdinand was bad (and I’m not minimizing what he’s alleged to have said), what Ron Atkinson actually said was way, way worse. And for many Villa fans, despite that he’s still a hero.

If you are going to hate racism, hate it all.

Yep, and it couldn't have been more inappropriate in Desailly's case, the violin playing step-son of the head of the French Consulate in Accra, far more intelligent and cultured than the man himself.

I loved Ron, but I'd also heard him being a bigot in person when referring to Earl Barrett, so it wasn't an isolated incident.

Offline mike

« Reply #4105 on: August 17, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
I suspect few of us, if any, will ever have the degree of contact to form a meaningful opinion of his character.

It's possible for a complete arse to be polite and affable in a two-minute exchange heading in or out of the ground or when approached out in public. It's just as likely that a genuinely decent person can be grumpy or dealing with problems a fan will not be aware of when they are approached.

Yep. My lad waited about an hour after one game to get Tyrone’s autograph. He was, without a shadow of a doubt the most miserable and ungracious player I’ve ever met. But all the evidence is that he’s a good guy..

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4106 on: August 18, 2020, 01:37:53 AM »
We all have shitty days.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4107 on: August 18, 2020, 07:38:09 AM »

People can change?

I was told by the club tour guide that Terry, whilst living at the Belfry, bought a coffee every morning from the Starbucks in the hotel en route to training. He got chatting to the young lad serving him every day as he was a Villa fan.

For one game, no one was going to be using Terry’s private box in the Trinity Road stand, so he let the young lad from Starbucks have it, so he could bring his mates and family.
A friend of a friend who is acquainted with Terry got us complimentary tickets for Boro away play off semis when there wasn't a cat in hells chance of us getting any legit. Just over an hour before kick off when you'd expect the players to be pretty busy my mate got a text off a number he didn't know. "Go to the ticket office and ask for tickets with my name on the envelope" All the best. UTV JT. Sure enough they were ready and waiting when we got there. He went up in my estimation that day.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4108 on: August 18, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
Terry's All Gold

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4109 on: August 18, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »

Yep. My lad waited about an hour after one game to get Tyrone’s autograph. He was, without a shadow of a doubt the most miserable and ungracious player I’ve ever met. But all the evidence is that he’s a good guy..

Which game was it? If we'd lost it might suggest he has the right attitude as I'd not expect anyone to be happy. Then again, no need to be rude.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal