collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other Games - 2017/18  (Read 726312 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Other Games - 2017/18
« Reply #3540 on: January 27, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »
There are already plenty of pointless interludes in a game of football, I couldn't give half a toss about a few more in exchange for getting rid of the massive bollock droppings that occur just about every game now, and to properly make all those decisions which are probably physically impossible for human beings to make.

Where does VAR stop, though? Do we use it to look at penalty shouts and offsides, or do we just look at everything? In theory, VAR is great, and I loathe it when Villa are on the end of one of those bloody awful clangers referees tend to drop with regularity, but the last thing we need is another system you can use to game the referee. At the moment it's just about right, but FIFA need to nail down what constitutes a contentious decision, because I can easily see a time when a wrongly given throw-in which leads to a goal is enough to rule it out.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #3541 on: January 28, 2018, 12:09:35 AM »
There are already plenty of pointless interludes in a game of football, I couldn't give half a toss about a few more in exchange for getting rid of the massive bollock droppings that occur just about every game now, and to properly make all those decisions which are probably physically impossible for human beings to make.

Where does VAR stop, though? Do we use it to look at penalty shouts and offsides, or do we just look at everything? In theory, VAR is great, and I loathe it when Villa are on the end of one of those bloody awful clangers referees tend to drop with regularity, but the last thing we need is another system you can use to game the referee. At the moment it's just about right, but FIFA need to nail down what constitutes a contentious decision, because I can easily see a time when a wrongly given throw-in which leads to a goal is enough to rule it out.

Oh, I completely agree with that, they need to set a limit, and I'm not entirely confident about FIFA's ability to set a good one. For instance, I'd rather not disallow a goal for something which happened two minutes previously, at the other end of the pitch. I'd also hope for a stricter approach to added time, to make sure that VAR stoppages don't end up chopping more time off the game than it should.

It's just the complaint that VAR somehow, in a broad way, ruins football as a whole or some specific aspect of football that annoys. You know what else ruins football? Shithouse refereeing decisions.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #3542 on: January 28, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »

Oh, I completely agree with that, they need to set a limit, and I'm not entirely confident about FIFA's ability to set a good one. For instance, I'd rather not disallow a goal for something which happened two minutes previously, at the other end of the pitch. I'd also hope for a stricter approach to added time, to make sure that VAR stoppages don't end up chopping more time off the game than it should.

It's just the complaint that VAR somehow, in a broad way, ruins football as a whole or some specific aspect of football that annoys. You know what else ruins football? Shithouse refereeing decisions.

Yeah, I agree wih that last point. You've got a load of old pros banging on about how it's a complete failure when it's been in British football for about sex weeks. Alan Shearer hates it, predictably; had it been around when he was playing he's have been banned every three weeks for a stray elbow or kick.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3543 on: January 28, 2018, 12:41:47 AM »
As big a talking point as the new Leeds United badge.  A big no no from me it will ruin the game.  No  one wants to see stop start football.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3544 on: January 28, 2018, 06:02:42 AM »
For the stop start element of technology to be avoided, and I very much agree that it must be avoided, the technology has to be the primary judgement not the supportive one.  The referee helps the cameras not vice versa.  We are getting close to electronic analysis of movement.  It will not be long before an Alan Shearer type flying elbow or prone player stamp can be identified by multiple computerized cameras and punished accordingly.  The camera will blow the whistle not the referee. It is inevitable.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3545 on: January 28, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
Got very annoyed with the BBC yesterday. They were talking about the Newport Tottenham game and how they play rugby on the pitch.

Said “I bet Spurs have never played on a pitch like this”.

Are they seriously suggesting that Tottenham have never played on a bad pitch in their 130 year history?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3546 on: January 28, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »

I'm pretty sure that in the last 100 years or so there have been plenty of poor decisions yet the game prevails?

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #3547 on: January 28, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
Why have we ended up with VAR?  Television technology and interminable coverage that needs to look at every vaguely contentious incident any which way to fill airtime.  The ex-professionals who use that airtime to criticise the officials.  Managers who look to scapegoat referees for the outcome of matches in order to cover their own coaching and tactical deficiencies.  Players who are "professional", i.e. cheat.  And of course the financial implications of cup defeats or the points lost when it comes to relegation or European qualification. 

In my mind it's a technology that the game needs and a long time overdue in its implementation.  There will be some teething problems and I agree that the reference points need to be ironed out.  I also think that as in other in sports where similar technology is used, the determining video evidence needs to be shared with the paying customers on the big screens. 

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3548 on: January 28, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
Why have we ended up with VAR?  Television technology and interminable coverage that needs to look at every vaguely contentious incident any which way to fill airtime.  The ex-professionals who use that airtime to criticise the officials.  Managers who look to scapegoat referees for the outcome of matches in order to cover their own coaching and tactical deficiencies.  Players who are "professional", i.e. cheat.  And of course the financial implications of cup defeats or the points lost when it comes to relegation or European qualification. 

In my mind it's a technology that the game needs and a long time overdue in its implementation.  There will be some teething problems and I agree that the reference points need to be ironed out.  I also think that as in other in sports where similar technology is used, the determining video evidence needs to be shared with the paying customers on the big screens.

I agree with the last bit. I've never been a proponent of cards for "simulation". My preferred weapon of choice against the fallers and divers would be to allow 15 seconds of collective pointing and laughing by the opposition at the failed cheat. To allow 40,000 others to join in can only help to expedite their extinction.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3549 on: January 28, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
Managers have been banging on about video technology for years then sucking bitter lemons after decisions didn't go their way. Be careful what you wish for.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3550 on: January 28, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
The only one inventive move I would like referees to have right now is a time keeper.  This VAR is like throwing a square peg  into a round hole.  If a referee thinks someone is diving then book him have the courage of your convictions. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3551 on: January 28, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure that in the last 100 years or so there have been plenty of poor decisions yet the game prevails?

Man United prevail.

Anything that makes the game a more level playing field is to be encouraged. I'm all for VAR.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3552 on: January 28, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »
I’d agree it good to get all the right decisions, but the length of the stoppages during last night’s game is unacceptable. It must be even worst for the paying fans inside the ground because didn’t have a clue what was going on, yet fans sitting on their arses at home we’re kept up to date. It doesn’t bode well.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3553 on: January 28, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
Just have coaches' challenges like in NFL. Managers should be allowed to argue one decision per half and if they are proved incorrect they lose their challenge. That way you'll only see major decisions contested and the flow of the game won't be affected.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3554 on: January 28, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »
Just have coaches' challenges like in NFL. Managers should be allowed to argue one decision per half and if they are proved incorrect they lose their challenge. That way you'll only see major decisions contested and the flow of the game won't be affected.

The trouble is though the precedent would be set as soon as its introduced. First it’d be one challenge, then two and so on and so on. Part of me thinks just leave things as they are. At least we’d have something to argue about afterwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal