collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:47:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 05:46:26 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:43:37 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:37:58 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by The Edge
[Today at 05:33:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by eamonn
[Today at 05:31:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 05:24:50 PM]

Re: FFP by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:23:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 4th May 1957 F A Cup Final  (Read 4233 times)

Online FatSam

Re: 4th May 1957 F A Cup Final
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »
Apparently Peter McParland worked as a concierge in an apartment building in Bournemouth after his playing days. I met someone the other day who grew up in the building and described him as a thoroughly nice chap.

Online FatSam

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:40 AM »
Funny to see Phil the Greek there. Makes you realise how long he has been performing the same role given his announcement today.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 03:25:12 AM »
the only domestic trophy i have not seen Villa win born late 58 the FA Cup is my Holy Grail and i think that one is going to happen. I do feel a little sorry for our younger fans that have seen we win nothing at all. i hope they get to see a few trophy's before to long.
Same as you Flybo, born in 1958 and still the holy grail to me also even if the FA Cup is not as valued as it once was.

Offline bob rowe

• Benito's Headband
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
I was10 yrs old at the time & watched it on our old b & w tv, never forgotten it. All the stripeys round our way banged on forever about how lucky we were to beat them in the semi. Bitter then & bitter now, nothings changed.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
This was the day that changed and affected my life forever...
I was nine years old and just in the embryonic stages of formulating my football loyalties. On a warm May afternoon, I was close by the Roman Fort on Metchley Lane in Harborne when I heard someone shout " The Villa av wun the Coop". I was already leaning towards the Villa so I guess that just made me certain of who I wanted follow.  Little did I know then about the 60 year roller coaster ride of being a Villa fan would take me on ....never regretted one single second though. VTID...........Godzvilla!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »
Funny to see Phil the Greek there. Makes you realise how long he has been performing the same role given his announcement today.

Took me a moment to get my head round this one.  I know Pete the Greek but Phil the Greek - does the later do press ups in the middle of the street?

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »
I was born in 1962 but my dad was always raving about beating the Busby Babes in the final. I guess that's why I became a fan. Because of his stories games against Man Utd mean more to me than any other and that includes the blues. There's definitely something special about those games

Not for the last 20 years there hasn't.......

Not since 1999 when Man Utd preferred to play in the World Club Championship and Aston Villa (who - in those years - always drew Man Utd in the 3rd round) got to play 'lucky losers' Darlington instead. We beat them 2-1, took full advantage of the situation, and eventually lost in the final to Chelsea.

If we had won, would it have been a 'tainted' cup? In fact, as Man Utd were sure to have knocked us out and likely progressed (past Southampton, Leeds United, Everton and Bolton Wanderers) to play Chelsea in the final themselves, did Chelsea win a tainted trophy..?

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 10:25:52 PM »
Not since 1999 when Man Utd preferred to play in the World Club Championship and Aston Villa (who - in those years - always drew Man Utd in the 3rd round) got to play 'lucky losers' Darlington instead. We beat them 2-1, took full advantage of the situation, and eventually lost in the final to Chelsea.
To be fair to Manyoo (not that I ever feel like being fair to them) I think there was alot of politic pressure on them to go to Brazil for the World Club tourney. I think Engand wanted the 2006 World Cup at the time, and they were seen as embassadors. Didn't they lose to a Mexican team in the end?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
Just let out a cheer, and confused the other patrons in the pub, when BT's FA Cup Final advert featured Johnny Dixon.

Albeit, very briefly.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 09:11:33 PM »
I was born in 1962 but my dad was always raving about beating the Busby Babes in the final. I guess that's why I became a fan. Because of his stories games against Man Utd mean more to me than any other and that includes the blues. There's definitely something special about those games

Not for the last 20 years there hasn't.......

If we had won, would it have been a 'tainted' cup? In fact, as Man Utd were sure to have knocked us out and likely progressed (past Southampton, Leeds United, Everton and Bolton Wanderers) to play Chelsea in the final themselves, did Chelsea win a tainted trophy..?

That's a brilliant tangent but I was referring to Villa v Man U games, which have been pretty shit for us since 1995.

I do appreciate why they are special for Allan C though.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 10:10:59 PM »
I wasn't even a foetus back then, let alone a living human being. My paternal grandmother died on that date. My waste of space dad went to the final, in a rare moment of giving him some leeway, communications were a lot more delayed back then, and even though I wouldn't cross the road to see him if he's still alive, I can understand why he went. Not going wasn't going to resurrect her.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
I've said on here many times, I was born August 1957 into a strong Villa family, like anyone else my age, I was brought up on this game, with my nan, granddad and uncle in the crowd, and never dreamt then that having gone to my first game in 1967, I'd still be waiting 60 years on.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »
I've posted this before, a picture of dad, and his dad, with the cup. I assume it did tour of various pubs after we won it, pretty sure this would have been taken in Cradley. My dad is the young lad in the blazer on the right, grandad is stood next to him. Sadly both have been HEITS since the 80s.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 12:38:04 AM »
Please God

Let us win this cup when I'm alive

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 11:27:58 PM »
I've posted this before, a picture of dad, and his dad, with the cup. I assume it did tour of various pubs after we won it, pretty sure this would have been taken in Cradley. My dad is the young lad in the blazer on the right, grandad is stood next to him. Sadly both have been HEITS since the 80s.

That reminds me of a tale told to me by my own grandfather.
One summer’s evening in 1957, Les Smith turned up at a pub by us, close to his home in Hayseech, carrying a brown sack over his shoulder.
He promptly upturned its contents onto a table, and out rolled the FA Cup.
I believe he ‘did the rounds with the cup’ across the Halesowen/Old Hill/Cradley Heath area.
Anyway, at the end of the night and suitably refreshed, Les started to make his way home, only to be called back into the pub.
He had forgotten to take the cup back with him!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal