collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season 2016/2017 - just for one season we're taking a breaK  (Read 2656 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Season 2016/2017 - just for one season we're taking a breaK
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
Well it hasn't quite ended up like that.

We started the campaign with optimism like never before (well the second season of Tommy Docherty perhaps being the exception) and have ended it as if the Doc was right all along that 20,000 fans would come and see the shirts on a washing line.

New owner, new manager what could go wrong.  Sheff Wed first game of the season and despite £42 in, we filled both tiers of the Leppings Lane.  The hope was there at kickoff and clenched fists were the order of the day, well until half time when we went in totally outplayed.  By full time people were eyeing each other.  if McCormack had seen off that chance it might have been very different. 

A quick defeat at Luton in the league cup just showed that our squad although big in numbers was not as strong as we would like to have thought, we then beat Rotherham and two draws were we going to get going, just a matter of time.  Bang wallop, after dominating  at Bristol for 60 minutes playing  good football we lost 3-1.  Four more draws and we were now starting to ask questions. 

We were playing football with some panache to a  certain extent taking leads which we couldn't hold.  Then onto Preston a match we lost and I missed being on holiday thankfully.  Dr Tony had a moment and  decided that his trip to Rome wasn't such a good idea and parted company with RDM.  It split the support somewhat, I and a sizeable minority thought too quick, although to be fair the majority were probably in favour.  Villa being such a big club we can attract the best and Steve Bruce after virtually begging for the job took the reigns  before our next game against the Wolves.

Playing football more akinde to that Wolves would themselves have played in the 70's we somewhat got through his first game with a lucky point before winning away at Reading - yes an away win and don't look back in anger was the order of the night.  We then beat fulham before the Blues.  Bruce then fully showed his full colours with a defensive display against what on paper was a  much  weaker team and a Gardner goal coming away from the blues come final part 1 with a goal.  Another mini run without a loss of a further 3 games continued and we thought Bruce was doing something right even though his football was ugly to watch. 

Leeds away and we were easily beaten followed by mixed results until the end of the year. 

2017 started in the worst fashion possible on the pitch despite starting to collect new soldiers, sorry players as if it was a battle game.  Defeat at Cardiff thankfully I had better things to do, an away defeat at Spurs not the worst but then defeat in what was freezing black country Saturday evening weather, where Amavi  and Johnstone made a complete bollocks for the Wolves goal.  On to a draw which was probably the right result against high flying Preston (yes North End) and defeat at Brentford who later sold us their goal machine Scott Hogan who was rested for the match, lead us on to Forest away.

Two teams struggling for form one with a fairly new manager us and them with a caretaker.  The caretaker and a teenager saw us off followed by another three defeats including at home against Ipswich Town, just this time two weeks later we wouldn't go and win the league.  We then somehow managed to beat Derby, Bristol City and Rotherham despite a poor first half before a loss at Huddersfield. 

Being such a crap league and with crap opposition anything was possible and we went on to win the next 4 games pushing us to lets believe status, only for Villa to be Villa and a big let down at home to Reading and we went home with worse heads than a night out in town, our season effectively over.

Fulham away and we were beaten by pace, never mind the bollocks we were on the beach, Fulham that Monday would have beaten us at our best - lets not pretend. 

The derby and a  million words have been written about it so I will leave it there before Blackburn yesterday and we lost to a terrible side.  Danny "fucking Graham" take a bow.  And so on to Brighton where really does it matter how we play and what the result is.  The players don't seem to arsed and a lot of us have given up losing sleep until August time.

Dr Tony has provided the dosh, although we are all still a little suspicious, he had the guts to get rid of a manager who he felt was not taking us forward only to replace him with another who left us in the comfort of mid table, playing not so nice football and buying players without thinking of how he would play them.  Kind of they would sort themselves out. 

Was RDM pushed too soon?  Is Bruce the man for the job?  Will Dr Tony provide further funds this summer?  No definite answers but its never dull following the Villa.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Season 2016/2017 - just for one season we're taking a breaK
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »
but its never dull following the Villa.

It's often extremely dull.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
The 90 minutes perhaps

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
From the games I've been too, I've enjoyed Rotherham at home the most followed by Wigan at home, the Wigan game was forgettable until the stunning Grealish goal on about 87 mins that won us the points, that made it worth the price of admission and long travelling hours. Cardiff was a decent performance, Fulham ok but won with a decent goal, Derby and Norwich were ugly games that we won because we took our chances and defended well, Ipswich was the flip side. I thought we played okish but just couldn't score and we can't keep clean sheets and depend on one goal every game. We'll see what Brighton brings on Sunday. In terms of the overall season it's been poor but the games I've been to this season have left me with some great days out.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:38:45 PM »
Good performances were very few and far between, but enjoyed some away days despite the mediocrity and worse.

Forest at home was a game that was entertaining and one that should have ended up with us giving out a pasting, which then never materialised all season.

The wins were usually through taking the lead (normally Kodjia) and then letting the defence do a job. Go a goal behind and it was invariably a different story.

Offline damien

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:26:39 PM »
Enjoyed reading your summary witton. Pretty much sums up how things went. Have enjoyed this season loads after last seasons disaster. Some great away days and B6 is once again a daunting prospect for most away teams.

Not sure about Brucie. Like the guy loads, but my word Dean Smith's Brentford play some nice football.

Hogan is dire. Amavi needs to go. Never understood Bacuna from the Lambert days, but there you go.

Not sure where this is heading next but will always love this old club whatever !!!!!

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:39:21 PM »
Good post Witton. I've enjoyed this season, especially after the previous 4 or 5. Great travelling down to the match nowadays- not knowing what to expect from the opposition and the excitement of the unknown. It's also been a lot easier driving ninety miles home after winning at home, even if it's not glamorous football, it's far more enjoyable than previous seasons. Don't ask me why but I am looking forward to next season with confidence.......as I said before don't ask me why. UTV

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »
45 years on from when the villa came into my life I still love match day until kick off   Its those 90 mins that are so frustrating. I was born in London and now live in the north west via Australia but I am as passionate about us as anyone. Got the same natural likes and dislikes as anyone out there love the villa family so much easier to get on with than my own extended mob at home

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
Good post Witton. A good summary as well of our two managers and the decision now facing Dr.X .

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »

Agree Risso. The dullest thing about Villa is when they play. I very rarely enjoy watch us play anymore.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
Its very rare we win the last game of the season and usually we get overtaken by the teams immediately behind and end up finishing as low as we can in the possible positions we can still finish in. It happened two years ago and several times that i can remember and it's bloody annoying. I just want a decent performance on Sunday, if we lose so be it but let's not roll over and let those seagulls celebrate on our own patch.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
I agree that  the whole experience of following the Villa is great including the match day right up to the kick off and then it goes pear shape. Even when we win,  as often we did this season, it was painful.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
One thing we can't be accused of is being glory hunters

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »

Agree Risso. The dullest thing about Villa is when they play. I very rarely enjoy watch us play anymore.

46 game season and how many 90 minute performances have we put in? Some would argue none. It's been a pathetic attempt.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
there is just no pattern of play, no formation, one week 4-3-3 one week 5-3-2 etc etc
everything is a hoof up to kodjia
adomah is for ever 2 yards off hutton when he should be on the linesmans shoulder
amavi has gone downhill so much its untrue
grealish should be the focal point of the team like silva is at man siteee
and is just me but I just don't get the holding midfield player as much as I like jedinak and he has put in some great performances for us but for me it just means we defend with five, a box to box player like super ian taylor I can understand
we can go on and on

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal