collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113445 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #17490 on: August 19, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
Rodgers in asap

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #17491 on: August 19, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
We've got a horrible looking run in mid season. If we go into that spell with this squad and playing like this, Bruce will be in trouble

But there's obviously a good chance to bring in 2-3 and get us playing better

We're far from the only team that isn't motoring and leeds' motor is likely to blow up in around January

Agree with point 1 but what makes you think bringing in more players will have us playing better?  It hasn't done that in the last two seasons, apart from a more organised defence with Terry, it's still Bruceball.

Also what makes you think Leeds will blow up by January?  Because they did last year, under a completely different manager?  They may well blow up due to Bielsa's infamous volatility but I don't see it as a given.  He's a good coach, way out of Bruce's league, and they are playing different football.  If they can keep a lid on the volcano I can see them being up there, if not doing a Wolves.   

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #17492 on: August 19, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »
As much as I'd like to see Bruce gone there is no way he'll go after 7 points from 9. 1-1 away from home against 11 players is often seen as a reasonably good result. 1-1 against a team with 10 players for up to 60 mins is not good, irrespective of the spin Bruce may put on it. He's being paid handsomely to work out different scenarios on the training pitch (eg 11 v 11, if we're reduced to 10 men, if the oppo is reduced to 10 etc) to have made a better fist of it than he did yesterday,  He says he's learned from last seasons mistakes. What learning did he demonstrate yesterday after a similar scenario last SSN vs boro at home? The problem is Bruce's negative approach. He would have seen Ipswich being reduced to 10 as a problem instead of an opportunity, because he would not like to have lost to 10 men. So instead of going forward positively to get a winner, his psyche will have been to protect the point. Teams seriously intent on auto promotion should go for the throat in that situation, to bank the points for when times get really tough. Bruce cannot see this, instead he leaves things to chance only to find out as he did last season that chance isn't good enough.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17493 on: August 19, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
I don’t like Bruce. But I agree. He’ll be given the 2 or 3 players to help his cause but with it a very short rope thereafter to start getting consistently good results. The owners likely have defined yardsticks in place to measure performance. Anything less and he’s going to be looking at the chop. He knows it.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #17494 on: August 19, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
Rodgers in asap

Rodgers would be an up to date version playing much better football IMO
R

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17495 on: August 19, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Have I missed something? Where has the Rodgers stuff come from and why would he leave Celtic to manage us?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #17496 on: August 19, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »
I watched Celtic play yesterday, I was unimpressed.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #17497 on: August 19, 2018, 01:15:36 PM »
Have I missed something? Where has the Rodgers stuff come from and why would he leave Celtic to manage us?

There is no real connection but McGinn signed for us ahead of Celtic. He doesn't seem happy anymore at Celtic, starved of funds - doubt he'd be impressed by our accounts

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #17498 on: August 19, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »
Not sure about Rodgers.  Definitely a step up fro Bruce, played good and successful football at Swansea and Liverpool,  but Liverpool often veered from brilliant to woeful under his leadership, especially away from home. 

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #17499 on: August 19, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »
I'd settle for 'brilliant to woeful' as opposed to 'mediocre to dire'.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #17500 on: August 19, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
Please, please, please, Stephen, go.
Please.

Save us from dull, unimaginative, over-cautious football.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #17501 on: August 19, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »

There is no real connection but McGinn signed for us ahead of Celtic. He doesn't seem happy anymore at Celtic, starved of funds - doubt he'd be impressed by our accounts

Rodgers won't be staying in Glasgow much longer. Woeful result in Europe last week and unable to compete with us for McGinn. However if fans were annoyed with the shite Bruce spouts....Rodgers is in a different league completely.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17502 on: August 19, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »
The only thing left for him (Rodgers) to deliver is their tenth title in a row. Both Celtic and the former football club Glasgow Rangers have nine-in-a-row in their histories but ten would be new. I'm not sure whether that's worth hanging around for another two seasons for. I guess he may want to get one over on Gerrard before he goes too.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #17503 on: August 19, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
I've really had enough of Bruceball now. So tedious, pedestrian, predictable and cautious. With the squad at his disposal last season a decent manager would have got us up automatically, and, if not, at least we might have seen attacking, entertaining football. He's now lost some of the better players from last season - particularly Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass,and  Grabban - so the prospect of improving on last season seems negligible, especially with Leeds and Albion looking like the most likely candidates to go up automatically (in my opinion). And if he does get us up, we'd struggle to compete with this brand of football. As others have said, the new owners won't get rid with 7 points from 3 matches, but if the wins/draws turn to losses as we hit a harder run of fixtures, I don't think they'll dither in making changes.

Who we change to is the hard question. So, my take on the wishful thinking/likely candidates -  I think Rodgers would do a decent job; as would Rafa if and when he gets fed up with Mike Ashley; Dean Smith plays entertaining football on a low budget; likewise David Wagner; I've always liked Chris Hughton and think he was treated pretty shoddily by Newcastle; at some point Eddie Howe may fancy a bigger challenge. These seem to be the likely/usual suspects, but I'm still intrigued as to how Southampton found Pochettino and how Wolves hooked up with Nuno, so maybe there's another relatively unknown out there, or maybe Mendes has some contacts or leads.  Whoever it is, I just want it to change

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #17504 on: August 19, 2018, 02:59:48 PM »
The only reason I keep mentioning Rodgers is because he keeps saying very positive things about us. But then so does Simon Jordan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal