collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:33:07 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:31:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 11:24:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2131144 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)
« Reply #21510 on: October 08, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »
I'm fine with the Bolasie move. I reckon he'll be great once he's match fit which hopefully won't be too far away.
Yes there is a player in there somewhere however the willingness to get fit and demonstrate that is not very evident - ask an Evertonian

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21511 on: October 08, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
He was out injured for a long while mind you. We'll just have to see how it goes but he's made a contribution in the brief time he has played which is promising.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #21512 on: October 08, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
I wonder if there's an extra termination payment due to him if he keeps his yap shut?  Was just wondering when we'll hear "wor side of the story" about having the nucleus of a very good side, having to replace 6 players from last season, the Championship being what it is, having four promotions, having four promotions and having promotions that are more than three but less than five.

We've heard it twice a week for the last month or so, so it's only a matter of time.

Offline cdward

« Reply #21513 on: October 08, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »
I wonder if there's an extra termination payment due to him if he keeps his yap shut?  Was just wondering when we'll hear "wor side of the story" about having the nucleus of a very good side, having to replace 6 players from last season, the Championship being what it is, having four promotions, having four promotions and having promotions that are more than three but less than five.

We've heard it twice a week for the last month or so, so it's only a matter of time.
It'll be there or there-abouts

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #21514 on: October 08, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »
Bruce can spout whatever shit he likes. He was paid well and backed by the owners but ultimately fucked up and it was all of his own doing so whatever he says I'll be happy to say......Goodbye.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #21515 on: October 08, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
Do we really need to continue with an autopsy of his tenure?
Even his biggest fan has to admit it has been an abject failure so why keep on discussing it?

Maybe suspend the thread till he starts spouti g bollocks as his side of the story

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21516 on: October 08, 2018, 08:21:24 PM »
Do we really need to continue with an autopsy of his tenure?
Even his biggest fan has to admit it has been an abject failure so why keep on discussing it?

Maybe suspend the thread till he starts spouti g bollocks as his side of the story

I agree. I wanted him to succeed but he didn't and he's gone now. It's time to look forward.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #21517 on: October 08, 2018, 09:00:08 PM »
I agree that we must now look forward.  However, the future can only be better than the past if we learn from our mistakes.   

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #21518 on: October 09, 2018, 06:25:02 AM »
Come on! Let me enjoy Bruce's demise a little longer.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #21519 on: October 09, 2018, 06:49:17 AM »
Come on! Let me enjoy Bruce's demise a little longer.
Yes, we waited long enough.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #21520 on: October 09, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »
I don't want or intend to forgive and forget Steve Bruce.  I want the calamitous decision to throw the club's wealth and reputation into the charge of a manager who was marooned in the past never to be repeated.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #21521 on: October 09, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
well said.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #21522 on: October 09, 2018, 09:05:02 AM »
The a shitload of hyperbole here.  He ultimately fell short but some of the stuff being spouted is (in my opinion) well over the top.

In his first season he started well.  Our first run of success for 5 or so years.  He stopped the decline, got the fans back on side and some positivity into the team.  We fell away badly after Christmas so the season was ultimately a failure having got ourselves into a position when we should have reached the play offs, but I still think some credit is due for the turn around.

The second season was very mixed.  Their are some mitigating factors with major injuries to Grealish, Kodjia and also Terry.  Hugely frustrating with bad runs always following good.  The fall off after the Wolves game and surrender in the play off final should have cost him his job.  HOWEVER, the reality is we did come close.  Close in a bit of freak season where Wolves had a Champions league manager and players and were untouchable, Cardiff achieved the impossible with agricultural football and Fulham went on an unbelievable run of form.  Ultimately we weren't good enough and Bruce deserved to lose his job, but we were fucking close and a little unlucky with circumstances and injuries.

So it's not black and white.  Yes he failed, yes we played some shit football and yes he spent what he was allowed to, some of it very unwisely.  But he came within 1 place of doing what he was employed to do.  History has proved the naysayers to be right, but only just.

Bruce came up short but he is not the devil incarnate, he is just a simplistic manager with a plan that very nearly came off.  If it wasn't for Wolves freak turn around or Cardiff performing miracles we'd be in the PL now.  Maybe without the injury to Kodjia and Grealish we'd be in the PL now, nobody knows.  However far away we were from Fulham and Wolves in footballing terms, it was that close in reality.

I know all will not agree, but I'm just trying to put some perspective on this.  As others have said maybe it's time to end the autopsy.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #21523 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
with respect that post is just a lengthy if my Aunt had balls she's be my Uncle. You don't get anything for close.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #21524 on: October 09, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
with respect that post is just a lengthy if my Aunt had balls she's be my Uncle. You don't get anything for close.
I expected that kind of response.  I haven't disputed that he ultimately failed, but if you read the analysis on here you'd think he'd got us relegated.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal