collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:01:28 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:31:18 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:25:35 AM]

The End of the Line - David O'Leary by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:22:32 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by RamboandBruno
[June 09, 2024, 11:38:58 PM]

Golf 2024 by Villa Lew
[June 09, 2024, 11:25:28 PM]

Athletics 2023/2024 by cdbearsfan
[June 09, 2024, 11:15:56 PM]

Season Review 23/24 by Goldenballs
[June 09, 2024, 10:56:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2160140 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #14490 on: June 13, 2018, 09:15:37 PM »
Claiming constructive dismissal and actually getting it are two very different considerations.  MON bested Randy Lerner because Lerner offered no resistance.  Allegedly.  I think Tony Xia is a horse of a very different colour.

I don't know enough about it tbh, and we don't know what promises were made by Wyness and Co when he joined, but he could certainly engineer a scenario of not supplying him with the tools needed if we sell 5 players for 50m and spend nothing. I mean the team needs 5/6 players even before that. At the end of the day if he has 3m a year guaranteed, what's that to having your reputation trashed? It's unfair ,but if he left now the headlines would be "Bruce walks out after Xia dismantles his play-off final reaching team". If he stays during a firesale and we do badly, people won't say how loyal he was, and how all his players have gone, it will be " Villa lurch from crisis to crisis under Bruce".
My guess is if he walked out now, he may not get his money from us, but someone would employ him soon enough.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #14491 on: June 13, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
I see fat sam only thinks Bruce will stay if there's not much cost cutting, which is my opinion as well. Could be good news if he's still here for the start of the season, at least on the financial side, if not the bruceball side.

Bruce being here at the start of next season. That's about as appealing as my doctor examining my prostate with a piece of two by four.

So what you are saying is it will hurt you in the end.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14492 on: June 13, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »
Claiming constructive dismissal and actually getting it are two very different considerations.  MON bested Randy Lerner because Lerner offered no resistance.  Allegedly.  I think Tony Xia is a horse of a very different colour.

I don't know enough about it tbh, and we don't know what promises were made by Wyness and Co when he joined, but he could certainly engineer a scenario of not supplying him with the tools needed if we sell 5 players for 50m and spend nothing. I mean the team needs 5/6 players even before that. At the end of the day if he has 3m a year guaranteed, what's that to having your reputation trashed? It's unfair ,but if he left now the headlines would be "Bruce walks out after Xia dismantles his play-off final reaching team". If he stays during a firesale and we do badly, people won't say how loyal he was, and how all his players have gone, it will be " Villa lurch from crisis to crisis under Bruce".
My guess is if he walked out now, he may not get his money from us, but someone would employ him soon enough.

They will just stand behind FFP and Bruce would have no grounds, based on information being thrown around by all and sundry.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14493 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:11 PM »
As it's my opinion that calling us dire, like root canal work, waiting for root canal work or being a quadriplegic is a gross exaggeration.

Football for me is about winning.

Gross exaggeration maybe, or possibly just a reasonable grasp of rhetoric and a sense of the absurd and dark humour.  And in the case of "dire" often true.  You seem to have a tendency to take things way too literally, except when it comes to the definition of entertaining.

I'm not taking you literally, I'm saying you're exaggerating.

In which case so are you, by saying the season was entertaining.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14494 on: June 13, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »
It was highly entertaining. My evidence is our league position, number of wins and number of goals scored. Yours appears to be a belief you're Marcus Tullius Cicero and using the amount of goals we scored and gerrymandering a negative into that.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #14495 on: June 13, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
It was highly entertaining. My evidence is our league position, number of wins and number of goals scored. Yours appears to be a belief you're Marcus Tullius Cicero and using the amount of goals we scored and gerrymandering a negative into that.

Your "evidence" proves nothing as regards entertainment value.  Cardiff's league position and number of wins was better than ours, but they weren't many people's idea of entertaining.  Even Dinas who posts on here admitted they were winning ugly.  Our goals tally amounted to a whopping 1.56 goals per game, (Wow, be still my beating heart) no gerrymandering required, it's a simple average and a bald fact.  Being (justifiably) happy and satisfied at regular wins is not the same as having been entertained or having witnessed good football. 

Offline Ads

« Reply #14496 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »
That 1.56 was better than all but two sides. You're spinning a positive massively and when you contextualize it, that becomes obvious.

Getting off your seat 70 odd times is exciting, it's the reason you go. I'd be interested to know if you follow us home and away.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14497 on: June 13, 2018, 10:35:51 PM »
all the stats don’t mean a thing
it’s what you see is what matters

If you thought it was entertaining then It was
I personally find Love Island more watchable than any football from any team managed by Bruce

And I fear no amount of posts laden with statistics for or against will change the mindset of either side

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #14498 on: June 13, 2018, 10:41:22 PM »

Highly entertaining. Possibly if you take edibles.

I'm sure the Championship will be less appealing after we sell the core of the squad.
Direct result of Bruce's piss poor performance.

Offline Ads

« Reply #14499 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:17 PM »
Who knows what shape the squad will be in, I don't intend to spend my time worrying until the start of August.

We failed, marginally, but failure is like pregnancy I suppose; you either are or you're not ultimately.

I found us maddening on ocassion, but satisfying forbthe majority. You don't need drugs to enjoy winning 23 games and scoring lots of goals.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #14500 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »

I personally find Love Island more watchable than any football from any team managed by Bruce

And I fear no amount of posts laden with statistics for or against will change the mindset of either side

Yeah but how many goals per game do you get on Love Island?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14501 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »

Yeah but how many goals per game do you get on Love Island?

equal amount of tits mind

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #14502 on: June 13, 2018, 11:09:28 PM »
Ads I'm not spinning anything, I don't think I've claimed our number of goals is a negative anywhere.  What I'm saying is that it's not as good as you'd like to think it is and you are overstating its link to entertainment value. As for context well:

Most other teams in that league are pretty awful so scoring more than most of them is hardly a major achievement given our resources;

Getting off your seat an average of 1.56 times per game still leaves plenty of time to be bored by the plodding football;

In 27 of those games you'd have been  getting off your seat once or zero times.

The majority of goals (40) were condensed into relatively few  games (11).  That leaves 32 goals spread across the other 35 games. So getting off your seat an average of less than once per game over 75% of the season.

So I'd say there's a fairly strong case for saying the bulk of the season was hardly brimming with rampant entertainment even if you are measuring it by number of goals. 

I just don't buy into your assertion that a fair amount of winning and scoring more goals than 22 substandard teams, whatever the method or style, proves it was an entertaining season. 

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #14503 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »
I'd be interested to know if you follow us home and away.

No.  I did in the late 60s and 70s and part of the 80s and 90s before I moved abroad.   These days I go occasionally because of lack of time, cost, and often lack of interest due to the tedium of the far on offer.  But I'm not sure what that's got to do with the discussion unless you are intending to play the "considerably better fan than yow" card.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #14504 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:45 PM »
That 1.56 was better than all but two sides. You're spinning a positive massively and when you contextualize it, that becomes obvious.

Getting off your seat 70 odd times is exciting, it's the reason you go. I'd be interested to know if you follow us home and away.
I don't go to away games anymore,just turn up at that neutral venue,Wembley.I have found the home games in the Championship to be more interesting and enjoyable than the previous 2 seasons in the PL.One of the reasons is that the result is usually more positive and  less predictable.No longer do the top six arrive and leave quite comfortably with the 3 points.
Now we are one of the top 6 but the other clubs  rarely lie down and quite often embarrass  us with their positive approach and style of play.
And that's the frustration,,the gap between our players' abilities and the football being produced The hoofball,the lack of recognition or belief that we are a better team than the opposition..What rescues us sometimes in games is the opponents' mistakes,the missed glaring chances,the misplaced passes which help us to create chances ,ie get us out of our seat or win games.Results can be often in doubt to the end.Suspense ,relief and leaving after belting out a chorus of'Don't look back in anger' is a positive experience .I remember lots of positive experiences about our Third Division days but then as now they can mask the inadequacies of the team.And most of the team's problems in this division should be laid at Bruce's door.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal