collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 06:11:33 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by paul_e
[Today at 06:10:18 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by SaddVillan
[Today at 06:08:23 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Villafirst
[Today at 06:07:25 PM]

Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 06:06:37 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:05:57 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 05:48:23 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 06:11:33 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by paul_e
[Today at 06:10:18 PM]

Re: VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by SaddVillan
[Today at 06:08:23 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Villafirst
[Today at 06:07:25 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 06:06:37 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:05:57 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Bully2345
[Today at 06:02:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2144666 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #10380 on: January 24, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
The Premier League could do with another Wimbledon upsetting everybody and giving the big sides a beating every now and again. It won't ever happen again though because money.

Absolutely.  Long gone are the days when unfashionable clubs like Leicester could win the Premier League...

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #10381 on: January 24, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
The Premier League could do with another Wimbledon upsetting everybody and giving the big sides a beating every now and again. It won't ever happen again though because money.

Absolutely.  Long gone are the days when unfashionable clubs like Leicester could win the Premier League...

Unfortunately, it really is a one in a million chance though We are all so desperate to get back to the premier league, im sure im not the only one who hasnt paid it a great deal of attention since we have been gone. It is so top heavy though....the championship as a competition is so much better to be in.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #10382 on: January 24, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »

Unfortunately, it really is a one in a million chance though We are all so desperate to get back to the premier league, im sure im not the only one who hasnt paid it a great deal of attention since we have been gone. It is so top heavy though....the championship as a competition is so much better to be in.

100% for me also. Its a pity we could not win promotion and say "no thanks" and stay in the Championship. Unless you are funded by a country nowadays then every game for everyone else is a relegation match from day 1

I think I have watched 1 MOTD all season

"Look how good Man city are"  what with the best Manager in the world and around £150 million in transfer fees on just 3 full backs - are we surprised?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10383 on: January 24, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
We don't belong in the 2nd division. We deserve to be here,but is not where we belong.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10384 on: January 24, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »
I can understand both perspectives. It's almost disheartening to see what is being spent now on often massively average footballers. Knowing full well that we'll be doing just the same when we go back up. And that's just to catch up, and even then there is no guarantee that £150m would allow us to do that. It would be nothing short of a miracle to find players like Leicester did, at very reasonable prices and be good enough immediately to just to get into the top 8 positions.

But the flip side is I hate the Championship as much as it is more enjoyable not to be losing week in week out. I want us to be playing in the most high profile league in England and I want us to somehow fight for a spot in Europe. We've been European champions FFS, and played in European competition for many, many years. That's where we belong. And we will have to make significant strides and investments to get back there as much as the path there isn't something I like or agree with.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #10385 on: January 24, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »

But what's the end goal? I get what you're saying from the perspective of competing and seeing the team go on a winning streak for the first time in a long time, but there's no purpose to fighting tooth and nail this season unless it's with a view to getting back to where we were a couple years ago - fighting for survival in the Prem.

As frustrating as those years were, we didn't have the same togetherness in the squad and we lacked the ambition and drive of a passionate owner. I genuinely think, assuming Tony's investment is commensurate with the TV money and the transfer fees paid last season, we'll be able to make a go of it in the PL under a more forward-thinking manager.

I do see light at the end of the promotion tunnel, but I suppose we have to get there first.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #10386 on: January 24, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Sorry happy to battle it out with Everton, Southampton and Leciester for 7th in the Premier League.

You can glean a higher place when one of the Mega clubs fall down the pecking order. Leicester happened across a perfect storm of all of them underperforming (bar Spuds until last 3-4 weeks)

Another season at this level could kill us financially.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10387 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »

Burnley, and to a lesser extent Bournemouth aren't doing too badly. Also, Wimbledon were the masters at buying players for low prices, selling them at a massive profit then repeating the cycle with their replacements. From the likes of Beasant, Phelan, Wise and Jones to Barton, Curle, Scales and Holdsworth .

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #10388 on: January 24, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »

Burnley, and to a lesser extent Bournemouth aren't doing too badly. Also, Wimbledon were the masters at buying players for low prices, selling them at a massive profit then repeating the cycle with their replacements. From the likes of Beasant, Phelan, Wise and Jones to Barton, Curle, Scales and Holdsworth .

Kevin Gage

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10389 on: January 24, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »

Kevin Gage

There were loads. I listed the ones that went for big money. Didn't we get Gagey for a bargain £110,000?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10390 on: January 24, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »
 i think the Championships garbage, lack of quality a lot of rubbish football being played

and i was one that thought it would be a hoot and enjoyable before we dropped, couldn't have been more wrong its crap

not that bothered about the money,
the amounts are ridiculous obviously but so are film star wages no one ever said i'm not going to see that film because the actor got paid 30 mill for making one film,
 Banker wankers earn shit loads for fucking the country up at least footballers try and bring some entertainment now and again

De Bruyne, Coutinho (as was) David Silva, Deli Ali etc  they are artists on the pitch there is nothing like them in the Championship i'm fed up with it and want to get back asap, then maybe we can have ourselves an artist or two ourselves to enjoy like we have had before, Grealish is the closest we have at the moment

but i have to admit i'm missing the top league a hell of a lot more than i thought i would

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10391 on: January 24, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
Can't wait to get back up there and see us battling it out with Watford, Bournemouth, Stoke etc for 16th spot and hoping to avoid the distraction of any cup runs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:20:39 PM by Chris Jameson »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10392 on: January 24, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
I am a bit scared of the Premier League, but I think I still want us up. It just seems wrong, us being down here.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #10393 on: January 24, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any point in the Prem other than to exist. We'll never win the league and the only other possibility of excitement is trying to get into Europe or avoid being relegated. Fucking woohoo.

I absolutely don't miss getting battered 3/4/5 - nil every week. The only way to become competitive is to spend about half a billion pounds and I just cannot see us doing that.

Football is shit.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10394 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any point in the Prem other than to exist. We'll never win the league and the only other possibility of excitement is trying to get into Europe or avoid being relegated. Fucking woohoo.

I absolutely don't miss getting battered 3/4/5 - nil every week. The only way to become competitive is to spend about half a billion pounds and I just cannot see us doing that.

Football is shit.

we should be ok then because our new owner apparently is mega rich and is going to have us challenging for the champions league within a few years

or maybe not

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal