collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by SaddVillan
[Today at 06:08:23 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Villafirst
[Today at 06:07:25 PM]

Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 06:06:37 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:05:57 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Gareth
[Today at 06:02:10 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 05:48:23 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 05:48:08 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by SaddVillan
[Today at 06:08:23 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Villafirst
[Today at 06:07:25 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 06:06:37 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:05:57 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Bully2345
[Today at 06:02:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 06:02:42 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Gareth
[Today at 06:02:10 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 05:59:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2144658 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #10395 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
I want us to get promoted but I am kinda enjoying this season.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10396 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
Can't wait to get back up there and see us battling it out with Watford, Bournemouth, Stoke etc for 16th spot and hoping to avoid the distraction of any cup runs.
I was thinking the same whilst watching the much praised Southampton.
Unfortunately the limit of our ambition has been imposed upon us as a result of FFP, that is being a part of the second tier of the PL.( if we get there)
There is 6 points between relegation and 8th, so 12 teams are effectively in a relegation scrap.
The PL is obviously the place to be but I hate what has happened to the elite part of the sport.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10397 on: January 24, 2018, 05:19:34 PM »
Who’s to say we’d go up only to get battered 3 and 4 nil every week? We apparently have an ambitious owner who wants us to go places. I think we’ve all been a bit damaged by what happened from 2010 onwards but it wasn’t always like that, and you never know what’s around the corner.
Let’s get out of this poxy league and get back to where we belong. We can worry about the rest when we get there.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10398 on: January 24, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »
I might be alone in this but whilst not being on MOTD is a bit crap, it's more than outweighed by the fact I now turn up at the ground not knowing whether we'll win or lose, rather than expecting us to lose and rarely being surprised, as was the case in the Prem.

So on balance my enjoyment, as measured by my enthusiam for going to the match and despite Bruce's tactics most of the time, is greater in the Championship than it was in the Prem.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10399 on: January 24, 2018, 05:48:53 PM »

I'm kind of the same. I was dreading dropping down into this league but I've actually not minded it that much. I want us to get back up but at the same time, the thought of going to The Emirates, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc depresses me a little. That said, if Smethwick go in the opposite direction, that might cheer me up.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #10400 on: January 24, 2018, 06:00:53 PM »
On one hand I say that we need another season in the Championship for stability. On the other we need to get back up to the Prem for all it's riches and money.

If we do look like going up via the playoffs then there is my excuse to spend the kids summer camps money on a trip back to England.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #10401 on: January 26, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »
I want us back where we belong, the Premier League. I’m also optimistic that when we get there, we will do well. We have an ambitious owner, a ground to rival any in the world, let alone the Premier League, fantastic support that also rivals anything in the world and all this in the country’s second city, a club with a rich history that is world renowned.  What we don’t have is a manager to match that and that’s why hiring Bruce was a mistake in my view. We had a fantastic opportunity to start the rebuilding process two years ago but missed it.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10402 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
I want us back where we belong, the Premier League. I’m also optimistic that when we get there, we will do well. We have an ambitious owner, a ground to rival any in the world, let alone the Premier League, fantastic support that also rivals anything in the world and all this in the country’s second city, a club with a rich history that is world renowned.  What we don’t have is a manager to match that and that’s why hiring Bruce was a mistake in my view. We had a fantastic opportunity to start the rebuilding process two years ago but missed it.

I agree with you but there's no point harping on about that now
the important thing is we get up this season however, whoever and whatever that takes then see where we go from there

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #10403 on: January 26, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

I'm kind of the same.

What, even with the good football we've being playing recently? You surprise me.

**winky thing**

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #10404 on: January 27, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »

I'm kind of the same. I was dreading dropping down into this league but I've actually not minded it that much. I want us to get back up but at the same time, the thought of going to The Emirates, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc depresses me a little. That said, if Smethwick go in the opposite direction, that might cheer me up.

Yeah, its a fun moment in time. I feel like we are the big boys here. I expect us to win just about every game and, hell, we are playing some really good football.

I know it cant continue. If we dont get promoted we will have to cut costs and lower the quality of our squad, also, well we risk becoming a permanent Championship club.

If we get promoted, well lets face it, the most likely scenario is we become one of the ten clubs in the Premier league who are punching bags for the top six and have that gnawing relegation worry all season. I hope not, but , well you know, its likely right?

There is also a chance, a slim one, but a chance, that we go up, buy some quality over the summer, Bruce works his man management magic and we are next years surprise package in the Premier League. 

So I am enjoying this moment in time. Knowing its going to change.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:13:40 AM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10405 on: January 27, 2018, 12:18:18 AM »
It was while I was sitting in the Wellington after the Peterborough match that I realised what I like about this league. You can talk to the other team's supporters. The Premier League is made up for the most part of either gloryhunting Champions League chasers who look down on the rest of us, or upstart Johnny Come Latelys who think a year with the big boys makes them our equals. I haven't got anything in common with either of them and I don't particularly want anything to do with them, but I do relate to the supporters we come into contact with now. It's like walking round a market town out in the countryside then when it seems familiar you realise it's because the mixture of grotty shops, market stalls and a laughably small supermarket is like where you grew up a few decades ago. The Championship is still, just about, like football used to be.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10406 on: January 27, 2018, 12:22:32 AM »
I echo all the above. I also like the fact that there’s loads of midweek games like there were when I was a kid. The PL should go back to 22 teams.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10407 on: January 27, 2018, 02:00:49 AM »
What you really like about the Championship is that we're the big show.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10408 on: January 27, 2018, 02:46:56 AM »
We’ve won the European Cup. I don’t want to be a big show in the second tier of English football. I want us to be the big show in the PL. And that will be a very difficult climb but I don’t want us settling for this. It’s not good enough.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #10409 on: January 27, 2018, 03:03:39 AM »
It was while I was sitting in the Wellington after the Peterborough match that I realised what I like about this league. You can talk to the other team's supporters. The Premier League is made up for the most part of either gloryhunting Champions League chasers who look down on the rest of us, or upstart Johnny Come Latelys who think a year with the big boys makes them our equals. I haven't got anything in common with either of them and I don't particularly want anything to do with them, but I do relate to the supporters we come into contact with now. It's like walking round a market town out in the countryside then when it seems familiar you realise it's because the mixture of grotty shops, market stalls and a laughably small supermarket is like where you grew up a few decades ago. The Championship is still, just about, like football used to be.
That is absolutely it. A proper competition as well, anyone could win it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal