collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AV84
[Today at 10:32:01 AM]

Champions League Contention by Dave P
[Today at 10:31:00 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 10:29:27 AM]

Robin Olsen by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:28:09 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:26:22 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2140440 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out!
« Reply #10305 on: January 19, 2018, 06:36:35 AM »
I've seen Messi score one with his head in a European Cup final. He can't be that bad, but given how small he and Suraez are and Neymar before, probably explains why they're not whipping 100s of balls in for them.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10306 on: January 19, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
Mentioned this before but read an interview with Xabi Alonso who was amazed when he joined Liverpool to see all the young age groups being taught how to tackle and defend set pieces etc, he couldn't understand why they spent so much time doing that rather than on how to keep possession of the ball, movement off the ball etc. What do the Spanish know though, what have they ever won?

My son used to love playing but stopped at the age of 14 because he got no enjoyment out of being shouted at from the touchline to "track back", "get your foot in" etc by various coaches. He still plays for the school and seems to enjoy that as it seems to be a bit more  about enjoying the game, plus they know he can't tackle to save his life! Him and his mates book the all weather pitch and play for hours now, get far more enjoyment out of the game.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10307 on: January 19, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »
So the club is trying to impose a style of football except for the first team.
Which means the club does not believe that Bruceball is the way forward.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #10308 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »
Mentioned this before but read an interview with Xabi Alonso who was amazed when he joined Liverpool to see all the young age groups being taught how to tackle and defend set pieces etc, he couldn't understand why they spent so much time doing that rather than on how to keep possession of the ball, movement off the ball etc. What do the Spanish know though, what have they ever won?

My son used to love playing but stopped at the age of 14 because he got no enjoyment out of being shouted at from the touchline to "track back", "get your foot in" etc by various coaches. He still plays for the school and seems to enjoy that as it seems to be a bit more  about enjoying the game, plus they know he can't tackle to save his life! Him and his mates book the all weather pitch and play for hours now, get far more enjoyment out of the game.

I would say that one of the problems that we have is the attitude of youngsters not willing to put the work in. A lot of youngster feel that they can just turn up, do some flicks and tricks, shoot from wherever and not worry about the defensive side. That's when you want a player
 that's a good tackler ;)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #10309 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
So the club is trying to impose a style of football except for the first team.
Which means the club does not believe that Bruceball is the way forward.
You can't just impose a style of play on an existing team and manager.  Bruce is doing a decent job and we are playing some good stuff yet you have to persist with the old 'Bruceball' criticisms.  You'll obviously never be happy so stop beating yourself up over it.

Offline Ads

« Reply #10310 on: January 19, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »
Bruceball is a tedious turn of phrase for the lazy, who appear incapable of articulating anything of note.

There are plenty of critics of Bruce and the way we play football who are able to pen something worth reading.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #10311 on: January 19, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
Was Mourinho successful at Chelsea playing exciting football? Did we enjoy being in the top 6 under MON playing a direct game? We weren't happy with the MON football but we were in the top 6 of the premiership.

What do we want!? When do we want it!?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10312 on: January 19, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »
Was Mourinho successful at Chelsea playing exciting football? Did we enjoy being in the top 6 under MON playing a direct game? We weren't happy with the MON football but we were in the top 6 of the premiership.

I want winning football and I couldn’t care less what style it is.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10313 on: January 19, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »

I know someone who was a Chelsea season ticket holder for years then after one season of Ambramovich ownership he didn't renew because knowing they were going to win every match was boring.

Football's meant to be fun at the end of the day. If it wasn't, why would we give so much time and money to it. Winning is part of that but surely not the whole point?

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #10314 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »

I know someone who was a Chelsea season ticket holder for years then after one season of Ambramovich ownership he didn't renew because knowing they were going to win every match was boring.

Football's meant to be fun at the end of the day. If it wasn't, why would we give so much time and money to it. Winning is part of that but surely not the whole point?

Winning is fun and it makes fans happy. I honestly can’t remember many times I’ve left the ground happy we’d lost because we’d played well despite the score.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10315 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »

I want us to win every game 5-0, with each goal the culmination of a 50-pass move involving all eleven players, with each opposition player left thoroughly humiliated by the skill of his opposite number.  That doesn't mean I'm not absolutely delighted when we get a scrappy 1-0 with the winner going in off someone's arse.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10316 on: January 19, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »

Winning is fun and it makes fans happy. I honestly can’t remember many times I’ve left the ground happy we’d lost because we’d played well despite the score.

Equally, I can remember plenty of times when we've won but for 85 minutes it's been anything but fun.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #10317 on: January 19, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
But ultimately you’re happy with the win and It’s all that matter really. The better teams win more games regardless of the style of football.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10318 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
I suppose then you can be happy or bored winning, but both are still preferable to losing, which is always shit.

Drawing is mostly shit at home, but largely acceptable away.

Offline Ads

« Reply #10319 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »
I always say I don't care how long it takes me to get home when we've won. That's doesn't mean I don't like us playing good stuff, but the first priority is winning.

For me the best chance of doing that is continuing with this attacking formation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal