collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 135947 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #480 on: January 16, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
If there's a concrete offer in for him, we should definitely take it.  Midfield is one area where we're not exactly under-resourced, and give the financial constraints we need the money to strengthen other areas.  Keeping players around after one good game is the sort of thinking that led to Agbonlahor's new contract.

Yep, agree with this. It's no good thinking there may be something in a player if you can never realise it. There's no evidence he can play in English football. Though there was with Agbonlahor, that was a long time ago.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #481 on: January 16, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
But he came with a good reputation and has had trouble adapting to a new league. Can play in more than one position too, it's just a shame we have no offers for Lansbury.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #482 on: January 16, 2018, 01:03:46 PM »
But he came with a good reputation and has had trouble adapting to a new league. Can play in more than one position too, it's just a shame we have no offers for Lansbury.

Yep, I'd prefer to see Lansbury go instead of him as well.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #483 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »

Problem is for whatever reasons neither of them have had much game time and opportunity to show their worth to any potential suitors

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #484 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »

Problem is for whatever reasons neither of them have had much game time and opportunity to show their worth to any potential suitors

Lansbury has probably had more of a crack than Bjarnnason has. I can't think of too any games where I've come away thinking he had a good game.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #485 on: January 16, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »

Lansbury has probably had more of a crack than Bjarnnason has. I can't think of too any games where I've come away thinking he had a good game.

How about the 2-2 with Forest at VP last season? Sad face

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #486 on: January 16, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
The holding role behind the midfield 4 isn't even his position internationally.

He added legs for sure over Whelan but I'd have Jedi in there if fit all day every day. I think Onomah would excell there and it's where Pochetino sees him.

I'd sell him.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #487 on: January 16, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

He added legs for sure over Whelan but I'd have Jedi in there if fit all day every day. I think Onomah would excell there and it's where Pochetino sees him.

I'd sell him.

My biggest frustration all season is that we haven't tried Onomah in that role and instead Bruce has tried to turn him into a 10 which he looks totally unsuitable for.

Aside from that I think we need to start looking at moving a few players on for some money, we've got far too much value tied up in players who are out on loan or who aren't in with any chance of making the matchday squad.  Our U23s are top of their league and none of them have let us down when given a run so we don't need people like Bjarnason and Lansbury taking a big wage to offer very little.  If we could get rid of both along with Gabby and Richards I'd be much happier and we could probably let de Laet go as well seeing as Bruce clearly doesn't see a place for him.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #488 on: January 16, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
The way Steve Agnew is rehabilitating under performing players, will it be long before  Gabby and Richards are ´resurrected´?..............Godzvilla! ( watching the horizon for incoming Pigs!)

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #489 on: January 17, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Thor's going nowhere - we are asking too much for him apparently

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #490 on: January 18, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »

I'd sell him.
The problem I have with Onomah is that he is prone to giving fouls away and to playing himself or others into trouble. Would we really want to play him just in front of our CB with these habits?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #491 on: January 18, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
I’d let Onomah go back to Spurs, he isn’t as good as several other of our own players and will not be signed permanently (nor should he be for the few Spurs would expect). If we are to give game time to prospects from the youth team then we have players of our own to bring through that are arguably better.

As for Bjarnason I’d take anything over 1m for him if offered. One of the players we could shift and not damage squad depth much. You could shift Onomah, Lansbury or Bjarnason and not see any real difference. Similarly we have any of three right backs we could let go.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #492 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
I wouldn’t sell anyone. We have strength in depth and we finally look like that when we lose a player through injury/suspension the replacement slots straight in a looks the part, so why rock the boat now? If we’re gonna offload players we should leave it till the summer.
The run-in is when the squad plays its part so let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot, eh.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #493 on: January 18, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
Agreed and Thor was a prime example of the value of squad depth last week.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #494 on: January 18, 2018, 07:10:26 PM »
I'd turf Gabby and Richards in a New York minute but besides that, we aren't so broke or desperate that we MUST sell now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal