collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 136038 times)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #450 on: January 14, 2018, 12:29:01 AM »
He needs to back it up though. He's a trier and if he does stay he's not the worst back up, but one good game does not a good player make.
Thought he looked good against Bristol City too to be fair.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #451 on: January 14, 2018, 12:39:00 AM »
No but how many times has he been played in the right role? There's responsibility on the player, but also on the manager.

To be fair on the manager (who I have slagged off more than once), it was a great choice ahead of Lansbury and Onomah. He was superb

Online tomd2103

« Reply #452 on: January 14, 2018, 12:43:54 AM »
I have seen him play a couple of times for Iceland and he plays in a more advanced central midfield role for them.  Still haven't seen him feature much there for us but we are playing a formation to suit that now.  I would still go with Jedinak in the holding role when fit, but would be tempted to look at Bjarnason a bit further forward.

« Reply #453 on: January 14, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »
I have seen him play a couple of times for Iceland and he plays in a more advanced central midfield role for them.  Still haven't seen him feature much there for us but we are playing a formation to suit that now.  I would still go with Jedinak in the holding role when fit, but would be tempted to look at Bjarnason a bit further forward.

I like Jedinak, but why would you go with him mate?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #454 on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:44 AM »

Just think he offers the physical presence needed sometimes in the Championship.  I think the current back four with him in front gives us a really solid base and make us hard to break down.  His fitness record is becoming a bit of a concern though, so it was good to see Bjarnason do well in there earlier.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #455 on: January 14, 2018, 01:11:43 AM »

The real issue there is that the role he plays for Iceland is closest to where Grealish is playing and, for me, he has very quickly proven himself to be absolutely key to us looking the sum of our parts going forward so it's the bench and an option in any of the 3 roles for me.

For what it's worth Jedi, Houri, Grealish back to front seems to be the obvious midfield and anyone else is just injury cover/a change if we're struggling.

« Reply #456 on: January 14, 2018, 01:25:12 AM »

Just think he offers the physical presence needed sometimes in the Championship.  I think the current back four with him in front gives us a really solid base and make us hard to break down.  His fitness record is becoming a bit of a concern though, so it was good to see Bjarnason do well in there earlier.

I like Whelan and thought he did a good job first half. Your man comes on second half and he influenced the game for me. I so like Jedinak and he will have a massive role to play, I just think your mans performance made  massive difference to the team

Online tomd2103

« Reply #457 on: January 14, 2018, 01:44:37 AM »

The real issue there is that the role he plays for Iceland is closest to where Grealish is playing and, for me, he has very quickly proven himself to be absolutely key to us looking the sum of our parts going forward so it's the bench and an option in any of the 3 roles for me.

For what it's worth Jedi, Houri, Grealish back to front seems to be the obvious midfield and anyone else is just injury cover/a change if we're struggling.

Fair enough Paul and I would agree about the three you name as being the ones in possession at the moment, although Hourihane has been a bit quiet the past two games and if we were looking to improve then someone capable of getting the box and scoring goals from midfield would be ideal. 

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #458 on: January 14, 2018, 01:47:01 AM »
Hourihane scored against Bristol City Tom! In fairness I thought he had a really good game both ends against Bristol, and was noticeably further forward with Jedinak in the holding role. He is a very decent player.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #459 on: January 14, 2018, 03:25:14 AM »
Hourihane scored against Bristol City Tom! In fairness I thought he had a really good game both ends against Bristol, and was noticeably further forward with Jedinak in the holding role. He is a very decent player.

Fair point and he did score.  Maybe it was just that he was outshine by Grealish's performance and went a bit unnoticed.  As Paul said earlier in the thread, Hourihane and Grealish are the two starting more advanced midfielders and it is up to the others to force their way in.  Which is how it should be. 

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #460 on: January 14, 2018, 10:14:11 AM »
Thought he did very well in that holding role second half. More movement and energy than Whelan. Also can pass a ball which tends to help

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
He did ok yesterday but his role for me is where Hourihane plays. He's got  knack of getting into the box.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Ok is harsh, I think he did very well.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2018, 11:28:44 AM »
Thor's playing for a move, hitherto he's looked gash

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
Or he's not been played in the right position before.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal