collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by johnc
[Today at 10:19:28 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:13:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 135962 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2017, 11:20:13 AM »
He has looked a bit better lately, think the goal against Wigan gave him confidence.

He works hard, but sometimes lacks an end product.

To be fair he has been asked to play at left-back before, which is never his preferred position.

I don't think he is a wide player at all really.  I think he would be much more suited to one of the two more advanced central midfield roles occupied by Onomah and Hourihane.  Him coming on in one of those roles could give us that extra bit of energy. 

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
I still wonder how we came up with him as a potential signing in the first place - all those signings from English football, and him.

I remember a discussion about him on WM after he signed.  The opinion was that Bruce had been watching him for a while and really rated him.

I do remember that - it just seems a bit odd that he'd be watching given where he's played at club level recently: Pescara in Serie B, and Basel - although the latter plays in Europe every season, of course.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
I don't think he's as bad as others are making out. He can be a very useful squad member. I think coming off the bench he could be particularly useful. Last 20 minutes especially his energy could be a valuable weapon.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2017, 12:03:17 PM »
A lot of fans like players that run around a lot.
We have a surplus of better players in all,the positions this guy can play.
He is at best a squad filler or a poor replacement at left back.
Another dim signing and Bruce is good at these.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
By all accounts his best performance was against Wigan (reserves)

That's good to see and he does get in good positions

But even against Wigan he had a couple of absolutely shocking first touches

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
Yeah I think he's a central midfielder. Trouble is we have loads of them, so he won't get a game there.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
You've got to wonder why we signed him as no-one seems to know his best position or how to use him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »
You've got to wonder why we signed him as no-one seems to know his best position or how to use him.

Sounds like most of our signings over the last few years.

Online KRS

« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »
Unfortunately he's not good enough to get into or fit into a struggling team...but he looked ok against Wigan reserves. Says it all really.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Unfortunately he's not good enough to get into or fit into a struggling team...but he looked ok against Wigan reserves. Says it all really.

Not reallly, it says he's come to a new country, played a few games, got a nasty injury and is working his way back. I've seen something I like in the way he plays, but I'm puzzled as to how anyone has had enough time to ultimately decide how successful he'll be. He needs to be given a decent opportunity before that decision is made either way.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #385 on: August 27, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »

Not reallly, it says he's come to a new country, played a few games, got a nasty injury and is working his way back. I've seen something I like in the way he plays, but I'm puzzled as to how anyone has had enough time to ultimately decide how successful he'll be. He needs to be given a decent opportunity before that decision is made either way.
Technique is pretty easy to spot, and this guy lacks that.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #386 on: August 27, 2017, 09:34:23 PM »
Actually being short of match fitness and adapting to a new league is likely to impact on a player's sharpness and technique. Pretty sure if you've ever gone a long time without playing football your touch will be a lot worse than it was when you last played, doesn't mean your fundamental technique is flawed.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
Actually being short of match fitness and adapting to a new league is likely to impact on a player's sharpness and technique. Pretty sure if you've ever gone a long time without playing football your touch will be a lot worse than it was when you last played, doesn't mean your fundamental technique is flawed.

Or you could just make your mind that he's crap. It's easier.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #388 on: August 27, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »

You're puzzled? He's been here 7 odd months not 7 weeks, more than enough time to mske a judgement. He's absolutely gash on every level other than his effort which is admirable.

Even last game when he had one of his better 10 minutes after coming on he managed to completely ruin a break with his awful decision making. But atleast he ran around abit and that makes some people happy.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #389 on: August 27, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »

Or you could just make your mind that he's crap. It's easier.
Or you could make you're mind up that he's amazing. Equally as easy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal