collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:13:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 135956 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
He hadn't been playing regularly recently and has never played in this country before, it can definately effect your performance in a big way. Add to that the general confusion in the midfield with three new players and it was always going to be difficult. Hourahane who has far less excuse was only 5% better and Lansbury who has less excuse only maybe 10% better. We've had some good midfielders in the past take some time to show their best, Petrov springing to mind as one of the more recent. I'm sure they're all good players but my worry is that the formation doesn't work, and is not likely to, and his signings are pretty much geared up to it. There are never enough bodies forward and everyone in the opposition half seem to be isolated, whereas in our own half we seem to be almost getting in each other's way and confusing each other.

It not the formation it's the gaps.  We look like a team that is a defensive unit, a midfield unit and a striker and those 3 are all entirely separate and have never trained together.  We looked like it with Jedi, Westwood and Gardner, people said it wasn't down to Bruce but the fact that those 3 were shit.  We signed 3 new midfielders, 2 who've been playing well for other clubs in this league and the exact same problem is still there.

Couldn't agree more.  Time and time again, Brentford players found space between our midfield and defence last night.  Baker and Chester were being drawn out, leaving huge holes in our defence.  Conversely, Kodjia became more and more isolated last night and again looked lost playing up front on his own.

The one ounce of comfort I can draw is that is pretty much a new side and is going to take some time to settle in.  First ten minutes aside, it was particularly poor though.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
That was up there with Ugo's debut as worst ever.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »

Ugo (although not strictly his debut) Djemba twins, Curtis Davies, Stephen Ireland, and now this guy.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
Villabear you are absolutely right, but maybe SB thought he had to show the fans that these new men could do it from the off.
Unfortunately, they couldn't. innit ?
They did for 10 minutes!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
The infamous Norwich game?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »

Please don't bring it up

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
ugo"s debut ?? you should of seen ken mcnaughts first 5 games for us 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
Very obviously short of match fitness and in retrospect shouldn't have started. In the first 10 minutes he showed a couple of good runs and a good technique with his shot.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
Probably been a tough week for this lad what with moving to a foreign country probably having to sort loads of crap out back in basle and then right in at the deep end starting a match in a new league. Very clear he was knackered after half an hour, let's see how he improves with a few more training sessions. I remember Jedinak moved as slow as a pensioner in his first few games and he is used to the pace of the English game.

Offline achilles

« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
That was the worst debut I have ever witnessed, he just seemed to be in a dream, absolutely no comprehension of what the hell was going on.
Give him a few games in the reserves to get used to English football before committing him again to the first team otherwise the fans will have their new 'Westwood'.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
Aside from ten minutes from lansbury, I don't think BB was any worse than the others. CH was invisible for most of the game. Anyway,  I'm willing to give him a chance before writing him off in a poor team performance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:18:32 PM by Nastylee »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »
Absolutely, he's got the attributes to do well and needs time and patience.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »

Which was long after he made his debut for us but for some reason is still thought of by some as his debut.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
Aside from ten minutes from lansbury, I done think BB was any worse than the others. CH was invisible for most of the game. Anoway,  I'm willing to give him a chance before writing him off in a poor team performance.

Yep agreed. He look decent in that first 10 mins and hopefully as his match fitness develops that'll be more indicative of his level.

Offline peter w

« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
I think Bruce knows that BB needs time to get up to speed and I also think he's aware that its unlikely that we'll go up this season. So what we need is a settled unit having a fresh go at it next season. Obviously he didn't go out to lose the game bit he probably thought Brentford away would be a good baptism for him, and the other two playing together, to let them know what to expect and what Bruce expects from them. They need a lot more time together, to get used to how Bruce wants to play, to get used to how their teammates play, to get used to being at Aston Villa. If in 5 games or so time it's still not showing any signs of improvement then fair enough. But one night in Brentford? Even makes a tough guy tumble.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal