collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:39:21 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 01:29:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 01:22:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Richard E
[Today at 01:22:34 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by itbrvilla
[Today at 01:18:17 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:16:59 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:14:34 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Proposition Joe
[Today at 01:13:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 136043 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
I'd hope that hourihane and Lansbury might cut it in the prem if we do go up

Be surprised if this Thor  geezer does though

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
I said I had no idea who is was (mind you I hadn't really heard of most of our summer or these new signings). After the transfer activities in the summer many of us did worry about our midfield going into this season.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
I said I had no idea who is was (mind you I hadn't really heard of most of our summer or these new signings). After the transfer activities in the summer many of us did worry about our midfield going into this season.

Well yes, but that isn't really anything to do with how famous the players we signed were.

I can't imagine most people would have heard of N'golo Kante before he moved to Leicester. Or to put it another way, if we'd signed the midfield version of Kodjia then his lack of name recognition wouldn't have really been a big issue.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2017, 09:07:41 PM »

Really he looked pretty good for Iceland in the summer...I thought then he'd be a good pick up for a prem club so pretty happy we've got him.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »

Well yes, but that isn't really anything to do with how famous the players we signed were.

I can't imagine most people would have heard of N'golo Kante before he moved to Leicester. Or to put it another way, if we'd signed the midfield version of Kodjia then his lack of name recognition wouldn't have really been a big issue.
True, but it was posted that Bruce must think our midfield is shit as he's signed 3 in this window.
All I said was it's not surprising as we only bought 2 last summer after letting a few out and many agreed the two we bought would not solve our midfield situation. As it's turned out it didn't as were hovering below half way in the league, mainly due a lack of midfield options and quality.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »

Really he looked pretty good for Iceland in the summer...I thought then he'd be a good pick up for a prem club so pretty happy we've got him.
Yes I think he's a Milner type player -that he puts in shift and plays for team (not that he a left back ) has similar pace so not fast but not slow and gets up and down. 
Liked look of him but have to say hadnt don't much in champions league matches away at  arsenal was pretty poor. Basel whole campaign was weak for those that follow champions  league would remember  some poor defending and inept shooting by the team ! Euro's yes very good and Basel are top of honey tree in their Swiss league.
What is amazing is he's going from playing against arsenal amd psg to now Barnsley and Rotherham .
He's definitely capable at this level and welcome him with anticipation and excitement for when he enters !

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
Lots of cult potential here.

Offline Marton

• GM : 17.10.2016
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
He is a powerhouse for sure.

Only negative is that his touch is a bit heavy (like Gabby has).

Villa has a specialty for turning this kind of player into overpaid, lazy fuckers.
However Nordic players usually have a good work-ethic so he might not be so easily corrupted.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2017, 12:25:06 AM »
I'm going to call him MMMbop.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2017, 12:27:54 AM »
I'm going to call him MMMbop.

I call him BB

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2017, 06:01:24 AM »
I have watched the obligatory YouTube video of him.

Pretty good.
Looks like a really dynamic, energetic player.
Remember when we used to have midfielders like that?

https://youtu.be/fJk8a8tbXrc

Odd antics in that footage. At several points I saw a player on a team cross the ball first time straight to a player on the same team. Witchcraft.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2017, 06:05:47 AM »

Offline supertom

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
With typical fan forum hyperbole and thunderously aggressive typing, I've said on many occasions that we needed an entire new midfield and at least three new central midfielders. I expected 1, 2 if lucky, but not 3.
I'm happy. Largely I'm happy because the manager actually sees what we've all seen for 6 years (the fact our midfield was non-existent), and has set about doing something about it. He's also targeted players that make sense for where we are and where we want to go.

No idea about Bjarnason, aside from seeing him play a few times last summer, but I'm delighted with the other two Bruce got, so Birkir could well be the icing on the cake.

Logic also dictates that if we finally get the midfield sorted, by consequence it will improve us in both attack and midfield. I think we've too often spunked out money on attackers, or new backlines (not sensibly either) and forgotten the middle of the park. And as others have said, even Messi would struggle with the midfield we had behind him. Likewise we could have Maldini and McGrath in their prime at the back, but if you've got no one in front offering protection or tracking runners, they're buggered.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
Sounds like we finally have legs and mobility in midfield and hopefully an end of Westwood and to a certain extent Gardner. Hope all the new signings can bed in and we can get on a bit of a run.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal