collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 300031 times)

Offline sid1964

Re: Conor Hourihane - good luck abroad
« Reply #1965 on: March 15, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »
A good Championship player - I doubt that he would get into the Norwich team

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1966 on: March 15, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
He would be the best player Norwich have ever had.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1967 on: March 15, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »
He lacks the pace and first touch to hold his own at this level, if he had one of either he'd probably be alright.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1968 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:10 AM »
A good Championship player - I doubt that he would get into the Norwich team

They should buy him just to stop him scoring against them.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1969 on: March 15, 2021, 09:58:45 AM »
What we get for him is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. In hindsight he could have been useful during this sticky patch.

6-7m is peanuts in football but it's not like we regularly make that from squad players. Usually they play so little and are on such big money we either have to wait for their contract to run out like Neil Taylor or give them away for practically nothing like Lansbury and Hogan.

As brilliant as our owners are I'm a little uncomfortable with the demand they keep pumping in 70-80m every summer as that was the approach Lerner eventually got bored of after 3 summers of doing it for MON.

I'd like us to start slowly to become more self-sufficent and make 30-40m a summer from moving on unwanted squad players. You see Liverpool selling likes of Brewster and Solanke for over 40m combined and while we're a long way off from doing it it's a good way of balancing the books and making minimal impact on FFP.

Apparently we get 5m for Samatta on 1st July, Conor will be 5m and least and letting go of one of Trez/AEG,Engels, Gulibert and perhaps even Nakamba should raise about 30m and decent chunk of wages off and still leave us o.k in most areas. Whatever we're paying for Barkley will also be no burden and that saved should go towards new contracts for Konsa and Martinez.
I agree 100%.  We need to start selling our squad players on at a profit.  It's essential for FFP, and Conor seems a player who's almost certainly worth more now than we paid for him.  He's proven himself as a Premier League standard player now - you can see that because I think most people here would accept that he can offer something at this level, even if that comes with some caveats.  We've done something incredible and bought a player, increased his value, then be in a position to sell him to someone else without particularly weakening our side.  I'm surprised nobody's got a nosebleed ...

For me, this summer will be the first one in ages where we're able to sell players who still offer us something, it's just that we're genuinely in a position to upgrade.  In the past, it's been "replacing" players like Lansbury, who offered so little that it wasn't so much upgrading as just removing deadwood.  It's quite exciting, and really credit has to go to Dean Smith and everyone for finally getting us in to a position where we can talk about moving players like Conor, Marv, or Trez on (all of whom are decent PL players).

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1970 on: March 15, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
He will be gone in the summer if another Championship club wants him (but it will probably be another seasons loan and then a free transfer.)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1971 on: March 15, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »
He lacks the pace and first touch to hold his own at this level, if he had one of either he'd probably be alright.

He's got more than Ashley Westwood in both departments and Westwood's just made his 250th Premier League appearance!

Offline LeeB

« Reply #1972 on: March 15, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

He's got more than Ashley Westwood in both departments and Westwood's just made his 250th Premier League appearance!

Conor could play for Burnley no worries, they bypass the midfield anyway.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1973 on: March 15, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
I disagree with LeeB. Conor is a good player.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1974 on: March 15, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »

That's Barkley for you. What about Connor?  I miss his free kicks, we've been poor at those since he left.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #1975 on: March 15, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »
I disagree with LeeB. Conor is a good player.

Oh I agree, he is. My point was, in a team looking to play like we do and aiming at Europe, his weaknesses get exposed a bit too much. He's too easy to go past, has zero acceleration, and he struggles to take the ball on the turn, but facing goal with the ball in the final third, I'd want him on it above anyone else in the squad.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1976 on: March 15, 2021, 11:54:16 AM »
This is the same player many referred to as Hologram. Which was incredibly unfair. But even his most ardent supporters could see he’s not what we needed as a full time midfielder given where we were at Christmas. That’s why it made sense to give him a chance to play elsewhere. That, and don’t forget he’s a stand out player in the Championship. Most of our current players would be.

This isn’t American football where you have special teams players. Because if that was the case he’d be worth having around just for free kicks and crosses.

Only the juvenile called him "hologram".
You seem to be the only one mentioning the nonsensical US idea of him only being brought on for free kicks and crosses missing the point of my original post, which was who do we have now who takes a decent corner/free kick? Clearly nobody including Jack so this is something we're going to have to address in the next window.

He has been criticized by lots of people over the time he has been with us, not just in the PL but in the Championship because he is often not a dominant midfielder and can have less than effective games. And if you have completely missed the point if you think I am advocating for him to be used as in the NFL. My point being you cannot use for what he is best at because you don’t know when it’s going to happen in games. So unless you play him from the start or for large periods during games then you need to accept what he is. That is a good PL squad player who will be found out at the top level.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1977 on: March 15, 2021, 12:09:52 PM »
Every player gets criticised at some stage, Conor is no different. It's the use of a certain nickname that I made my point about.
The nfl reference is pointless, so I'm not going there again.
My original point still remains about the current lack of a productive option for free kicks/corner kicks now he's at Swansea that needs addressing.
Enjoy the rest of your day. Btw love Toronto the City!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1978 on: March 15, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »
He will be gone in the summer if another Championship club wants him (but it will probably be another seasons loan and then a free transfer.)

I'd be surprised if he is willing to sign a one year deal anywhere. He's at the age where he can help to secure his young family's future with one last big contract.

We'll get a decent fee and he'll get a nice sign-on and contract wherever he goes.

Online malckennedy

« Reply #1979 on: March 15, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
Although he certainly scored spectacularly from free kicks sometimes, I actually thought that his dead ball delivery from corners and free kicks was very often disappointing. So even that aspect of his game was not of the standard we are beginning to aspire to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal